Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 9:50:40 AM EDT
Thinking about mixing and matching a bolt and carrier from different manufacturers.

I picked the bolt from Rubber City Armory, I heard from a friend it was super great and has a wonderful finish and treatment on it.

I want to combine it with a standard phosphate carrier from BCM.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple daniel defense carrier's housing some bcm bolts, I also have a couple bcm carrier's housing spikes nibx bolts. No problems,  all my ar's run great!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Knock yourself out, go wild, whatever makes you happy. It probably won't make any difference whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Wha makes Rubber City Armory better than any other BCG, other than your friend saying so.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wha makes Rubber City Armory better than any other BCG, other than your friend saying so.
View Quote
IDK maybe their "wonderful finish and treatment" how should I know. The bolt is priced competitively with other manufactuers and it has a lifetime warranty so why the hell not? Give me a reason why I shouldn't buy it.

When I titled this "the perfect bcg" it was meant to be relative to the users interests, not for everyone.

Also, when in my OP did I say that it is better than any other BCG

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
VOODOO Innovations 7.62x39 bolt (Lifecoat)
Rubber City Armory Adjustable Gas Key (Blacknitride)
POF-USA Roller Cam Pin (Nickel-Teflon)
TR Enabling Obsidian Bolt Carrier *BLEM* (Nickel-Teflon)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IDK maybe their "wonderful finish and treatment" how should I know. The bolt is priced competitively with other manufactuers and it has a lifetime warranty so why the hell not? Give me a reason why I shouldn't buy it.

When I titled this "the perfect bcg" it was meant to be relative to the users interests, not for everyone.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I couldn't read your mind. Maybe it's too simple for me.

Your response to my simple question proves you and your friend don't know shit about rifles.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Mixing carriers and bolts from different manufacturers with difference tolerances and different coatings seems like a great way to end up with something that doesn't work reliably. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I see no reason to mix and match components within a carrier, and my opinion is that you wouldn't get anything superior to a Daniel Defense, BCM, Spikes or even a Colt with that setup you proposed.

You would be well covered if you just got a quality BCG and maintained it properly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My perfect BCG

See if you can spot why it's "special".
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see no reason to mix and match components within a carrier, and my opinion is that you wouldn't get anything superior to a Daniel Defense, BCM, Spikes or even a Colt with that setup you proposed.

You would be well covered if you just got a quality BCG and maintained it properly.
View Quote

This.

Unless you have a bolt matched to your barrel, just get a complete BCG.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My perfect BCG

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/20141124_181715_zpsrg0hftzs.jpg

View Quote

Your post is so cryptic but it appears to have some kind of coating
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
If you actually want a better bolt, the ARPerformance superbolt is very nice.

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/3255/336

LWRC Advanced Combat Bolts are nice, but not made any more.  LMT has an enhanced bolt, but I'm not fully read up on it.  Sharps Reliabolt's are interesting, but they have had some issues recently, hopefully they will get it ironed out.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Just get a bcg from BCM, DD, or LMT and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My perfect BCG

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/20141124_181715_zpsrg0hftzs.jpg

View Quote

Because it only works with a KAC E3 barrel extension

Been kicking around the idea of doing one of those JP carriers in my MOD2, but if again it goes back to the "if it ain't broke" theory....
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:14:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thinking about mixing and matching a bolt and carrier from different manufacturers.

I picked the bolt from Rubber City Armory, I heard from a friend it was super great and has a wonderful finish and treatment on it.

View Quote

One of the RCA bolts I had soon peened. I think the perfect mil-spec BCG is a box-stock BCG made by Colt, who won the PiP contest, IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One of the RCA bolts I had soon peened. I think the perfect mil-spec BCG is a box-stock BCG made by Colt, who won the PiP contest, IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever wonder HOW they won the PiP contest?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not sure that it's much / any better than a standard BCM BCG but I'm running an LMT Enhanced Bolt with a BCM carrier...with the BCM bolt as a back up
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Like the others said, mix-matching will give you no advantages over a complete BCG from BCM or DD etc. It could actually give you problems due to tolerance stacking between different companies. Had it happen first hand with a different branded bolt not fitting into one of my "other branded" carriers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the other BCG's broke or malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, its not like colt has ever bribed any officials to keep their contracts...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, its not like colt has ever bribed any officials to keep their contracts...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, you can buy your BCG on the premise that it's really awesome, you just suspect someone paid to have it sabotaged. That sounds like a logical manner of selecting gear. Maybe Vulcan/Hesse is really good stuff...Colt's just keepin' em down!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sure, you can buy your BCG on the premise that it's really awesome, you just suspect someone paid to have it sabotaged. That sounds like a logical manner of selecting gear. Maybe Vulcan/Hesse is really good stuff...Colt's just keepin' em down!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally

Has hesse/vulcan ever proved they could put out an equal quality alternative for less? No? Shut up then.

You should go over to the colt industry forum and hangout with all the other fanboys
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Has hesse/vulcan ever proved they could put out an equal quality alternative for less? No? Shut up then.

You should go over to the colt industry forum and hangout with all the other fanboys
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally

You started it. Don't act like a child when he shoots your weak ass argument down.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
IIRC the army found that the BCGs submitted during phase 1 of the PiP did not offer enough improvement over the existing design, so they went with the existing design on BCGs.  The reasons Colt got the contract are numerous, and political reasons likely played a large part. Colt has been a staple of the MIC for a long time, and giving FNH the contract for M4A1s was a big blow. DOD was throwing Colt a bone as much as anything to keep the company from folding. There is some strategic benefit to keeping an arms company that has proven production quality and capacity open, and without contracts I don't think Colt would stand on its own 2 feet. KAC would likely have never moved into the civilian market if there wasn't a looming draw down in Military spending after pulling the majority of the forces out of the middle east, and Colt's business moves toward the civilian market have been to mark the sporters with M4, and license other companies to make a couple 3 gun rifles. They need moar contracts.

Not to mention this keeps the number of companies with the TDP limited, and Colt has the production capacity specific to the TDP already in place. I like Colt, but they didn't get the PiP contract because they make superior BCGs, but because all the improved designs that were submitted weren't as substantial of an improvement as those companies would have you believe.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#26]
OP??

Crickets...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]
People are too hung up on 'super' finshes for their bcg. Thousands of rounds between cleaning and the standard phosphate finsh works just great and cleans up fine

Get a complete BCM and be on your way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top