Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2014 10:09:05 AM EDT
I am trying to decide on which bolt to use in my current build and was looking into the Sharps Relia-Bolt.  While $80 is expensive is not much more than another quality NiBx or NP3 coated bolt in 158 Carpenter (Around $60) and its the same price as the BCM Bolt.  I know in the early batches they had issues with the heat treating and they were breaking, has this been fixed?  Is it really a "Better Bolt" or am I better off getting a quality mil spec bolt?  Does anyone have any first hand use of the bolt and ability to provide personal insight?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one.   They actually replaced the one in the video as part of their recall even though I didn't have any issues with it FWIW.

BCM is the standard though.  Both seem to work.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Search around and you can find the guy who broke two of them... (on another site IIRC)
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is the guy who broke two bolts and started the recall.  Hopefully they fixed the problems.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/658805_I_broke_the_unbreakable_Sharps_Reliabolt___TWO_BROKEN_NOW__Update_Pg__5.html

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is the guy who broke two bolts and started the recall.  Hopefully they fixed the problems.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/658805_I_broke_the_unbreakable_Sharps_Reliabolt___TWO_BROKEN_NOW__Update_Pg__5.html

View Quote

They looked nice and I did want one, but was hesitant to pick one up because, let's face it, it is a "new and improved" bolt that had zero track record.

And it's obviously had it's teething problems so far, so I'll wait until these issues are sorted out and dealt with.

Maybe then, after some longer-term use is proven by end-users, then I may pick one up.

ps.  If I wanted a no-frills, proven BCG that already has a reputable track record, I'd go with BCM.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They looked nice and I did want one, but was hesitant to pick one up because, let's face it, it is a "new and improved" bolt that had zero track record.

And it's obviously had it's teething problems so far, so I'll wait until these issues are sorted out and dealt with.

Maybe then, after some longer-term use is proven by end-users, then I may pick one up.

ps.  If I wanted a no-frills, proven BCG that already has a reputable track record, I'd go with BCM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't spend the extra on BCM.  Toolcraft is .mil issued and under $100.  If I was going to spend BCM prices I would get an ARPerformance Superbolt or find a LWRC enhanced bolt.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is a link to the ARP superbolt:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/273878_Advanced_Impingement_Carrier_and_Advanced_Combat_Bolt.html

I use the 6.8 version on all my 6.8's.

Here is some information on the LWRC Advanced Combat Bolt.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/273878_Advanced_Impingement_Carrier_and_Advanced_Combat_Bolt.html

These have been used by SOCOM, I saw some on my SOTF deployment in 2012-13.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have one.   They actually replaced the one in the video as part of their recall even though I didn't have any issues with it FWIW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xkun6BnDQ
View Quote

I actually saw your video on Google search and knew you were a member on here so its great you saw this post. I guess the question I have for you specifically is if it was your money and you were looking at either a WMD NiBx bolt for $60 and the Reliabolt for $80 which would you buy? Is it worth the $20 more or is it all marketing and "coolaid"? $20 is not a deal breaker for me as this is already a $2,500 build but dont like just throwing away money either.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I actually saw your video on Google search and knew you were a member on here so its great you saw this post. I guess the question I have for you specifically is if it was your money and you were looking at either a WMD NiBx bolt for $60 and the Reliabolt for $80 which would you buy? Is it worth the $20 more or is it all marketing and "coolaid"? $20 is not a deal breaker for me as this is already a $2,500 build but dont like just throwing away money either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xkun6BnDQ

I know your question was not directed at me, however I want to note that BCM's standard mil-spec bolts are also $80 ($79.99 + shipping). So, the SRC Relia-bolt isn't really overpriced at all when compared to what many consider the best standard mil-spec bolt assembly parts. It was at one time, when they wanted $150 for just the BOLT
I for one have read about issues with WMD's NiB stuff in the past (it was an entire BCG, IIRC).

That all said, I have a complete SRC BBC (Balanced Bolt Carrier) in house right now, which includes their Relia-bolt. I like the NP3 finish they use, and so far it has operated flawlessly in the 25-45 Sharps upper I'm testing. I don't, nor will I have, a lot of rounds down range with it though, only due to the fact that I only have a couple hundred rounds of the .25cal ammo on hand. So, I can't comment on reliability over high round counts like many on here can.

Is it worth it? I think the NP3 finish is worth more than the mil-spec phosphate, but I personally wouldn't spend much more for it. At the same price, I could see the appeal of the SRC offering over others.

Good luck OP.

ETA: spelling and grammar

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to see the Relia-bolt in 7.62x39 in their S7 tool steel. 7.62x39 bolts are weaker than the 5.56 bolts, but the S7 tool steel may resolve that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top