Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2014 1:28:14 AM EDT
Are only like colt rifle Reciever extensions 7075?  A while back, I ordered one from midway or something, a DPMS, I realize now they (and other) cut corners the goddammend rifle rec ext too, made them out of 6061 rather than 7075?  I also have one i pirated from a bushmaster back from before I knew beter, that is probably 6061 too?  

Tyrying to do an uberlight pistol build is why I'm using the rifle rec ext w/ the ace gusset.  Figure I'll add some JB weld here and there to hold it in place, maybe some heat shrink on the tube...

I ever fall on it, I don't want it to break/bend there, is why I care about the material.

Of course, the KAK tubes are nice for the sig brace but they are 6061.  Phase 5 makes the hex 2 for sig brace, but the LOP is same as a slightly ground rifle rec ext and its much heavier.

Where might I get a mil spec rifle rec ext then?  Looked at BCM but they sell one for $20  

Thx
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
looks like saw armament has em for $65.  DSG sells LMT and Armalite for $45, the armalite are 6061, I suspect the LMT is mispec, it has that gray color
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#2]
PSA
BCM
Anderson
Spikes
Tapco

There's more, thats just what I remember without checking.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Finding RIFLE length receiver extensions made with 7075 is VERY difficult, almost none produces them anymore.  99% of the ones out there are made with 6061, seems most manufacturers could case less about "mil spec" as far as rifles are concerned.  

Specialized Armament has them from time to time but they are very expensive.  Colt used to produce their rifle receiver extensions out of 7075, I am not sure if they still do on current production AR15A4s or not.  LMT does NOT use 7075, confirmed this with them over the phone.  Neither does BCM.

Best bet is to buy an old Colt RE tube that pops up on the EE from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
While I was in Germany a guy slipped on ice and fell on his rifle breaking the lower where the RE screwed in.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I was in Germany a guy slipped on ice and fell on his rifle breaking the lower where the RE screwed in.
View Quote

Rifle or carbine?  

Seems like a pretty mild fall for that to break the receiver.  Did he hit a rock?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, maybe its better to bust the RE than the lower.  Maybe the 7075 RE is a bad idea...
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Rifle on a sidewalk, but I guess my point is that if you fall on it all bets are off.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol, maybe its better to bust the RE than the lower.  Maybe the 7075 RE is a bad idea...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run mil-spec RE’s on general principle.
However for practical purposes I very seldom see posts about problems with either.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

However for practical purposes I very seldom see posts about problems with either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, thinking about it, I better just run the 6061 unit b/c this is in a mag tac lower in this ultralight build.   Maybe if I upgrade someday to a balios lite 7075 lower I'll upgrade the tube to a milspec one as well, course, that fellow in germany, I am sure he broke a milspec forged lower, so i don't know.  I do know that if I fall on it hard enough to break something, I'd rather it be the tube that lets loos than the lower.

I better just be careful

we need a forged 7075 monolithic lower half wher the butt and the lower al all one piece  Not sure how you would do the drilling though.

speaking of that, does cav arms still make those once peice lowers?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Finding RIFLE length receiver extensions made with 7075 is VERY difficult, almost none produces them anymore.  99% of the ones out there are made with 6061, seems most manufacturers could case less about "mil spec" as far as rifles are concerned.  

Specialized Armament has them from time to time but they are very expensive.  Colt used to produce their rifle receiver extensions out of 7075, I am not sure if they still do on current production AR15A4s or not. LMT does NOT use 7075, confirmed this with them over the phone.  Neither does BCM.

Best bet is to buy an old Colt RE tube that pops up on the EE from time to time.
View Quote

that's queer, b/c I got an email from them this morning saying:
"Yes they are 7075"

if not, how do they get away w/ this w/ their mil contracts??

probably CMT actually make the forged ones rigt?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure who answers the emails at LMT, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was some clerk who confuses rifle with carbine tubes, or doesn't know the difference.

In response to my question on if they use 7075 *rifle* receiver extensions, or 6061 like 99% of the other companies:

We also use extruded 6061 on the A2 tubes

Gene Swanson

Research and Development Manager

Lewis Machine & Tool Co.

1305 West 11th Street

Milan, IL 61264

Phone: 309.787.7151

Fax: 309.787.7193

Email: [email protected]
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not sure who answers the emails at LMT, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was some clerk who confuses rifle with carbine tubes, or doesn't know the difference.

In response to my question on if they use 7075 *rifle* receiver extensions, or 6061 like 99% of the other companies:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

We also use extruded 6061 on the A2 tubes

Gene Swanson

Research and Development Manager

Lewis Machine & Tool Co.

1305 West 11th Street

Milan, IL 61264

Phone: 309.787.7151

Fax: 309.787.7193

Email: [email protected]

Thx.  Well thank god for saw armament for selling them, if they are occasionally out of stock.  So All Colts that ship from the NE (connecticut?) have the forged tube?  Of course, now that this other company is making special colt marked guns who kmows about that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
haha,
I also get an email from BCM:

Hi JSmithXYY,
We only produce milspec components.  BCM(r) has a long established commitment to quality and adherence to milspec TDP.  Our buffer tubes are made to milspec with 7075 aluminum forgings.

Thanks for checking with us.
View Quote

which leaves me going b/c the one the sell is only $20??

I guess these people on the emials don't know the difference b/t a rifle and a carbine RE
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
haha,

I guess these people on the emials don't know the difference b/t a rifle and a carbine RE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
haha,

Hi JSmithXYY,
We only produce milspec components.  BCM(r) has a long established commitment to quality and adherence to milspec TDP.  Our buffer tubes are made to milspec with 7075 aluminum forgings.

Thanks for checking with us.

That's exactly it.  Get someone from the company who actually knows what they're talking about and they'll admit that the RIFLE receiver extensions are 6061.

One of the many reasons why I hate email as a medium of communication.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#15]
its funny, I replied again to BCM expressing my persistent doubt that their $20 rifle REs are 7075.    I got another message form them this AM

Not sure what else we can say, other than we only produce milspec components.  Our buffer tubes are no exception and are made strictly to TDP and conform
View Quote

I also sent an email to LMT again asking that sales guy to check w/ Mr Swanson.

I'm not trying to be mean to these companies, I hold LMT and BCM in the higest regard but I am finding this...comical.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I exchanged emails with Stag Arms when I was looking for a rifle length extension (about a year ago) and they confirmed that their tubes are made with 7075 aluminum.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I exchanged emails with Stag Arms when I was looking for a rifle length extension (about a year ago) and they confirmed that their tubes are made with 7075 aluminum.
View Quote

I can't help but be dubious.   Stag isn't typically a milspe co are they?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
its funny, I replied again to BCM expressing my persistent doubt that their $20 rifle REs are 7075.    I got another message form them this AM

I'm not trying to be mean to these companies, I hold LMT and BCM in the higest regard but I am finding this...comical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure what else we can say, other than we only produce milspec components.  Our buffer tubes are no exception and are made strictly to TDP and conform

Yeah it is.  They don't even know the difference.  I've confirmed with BCM before that the SUPPLIER they get their rifle extensions from has 6061 tubes.  I might have an old email from them I can pull up too.

Haven't checked into Stag arms, but would be skeptical.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#19]
BTW, looks like the cav 15 complete lowers are still being made by a co called GWAS arms, or GAWS arms.

They have A1 LOP but use a carbine buffer/spring and can be shortened  some, and are about a pould lighter than a normal milspec type lower w/ fixed stock.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:47:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
BTW, looks like the cav 15 complete lowers are still being made by a co called GWAS arms, or GAWS arms.

They have A1 LOP but use a carbine buffer/spring and can be shortened  some, and are about a pould lighter than a normal milspec type lower w/ fixed stock.
View Quote

GWACS Armory

Next Gen was developing a monolithic lower before they went out of business.  It sounds good on paper, but if you think about it for a few minutes it's a really bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

GWACS Armory

Next Gen was developing a monolithic lower before they went out of business.  It sounds good on paper, but if you think about it for a few minutes it's a really bad idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GWACS Armory

Next gen?  A differnt company than is doing the cav 15 lowers?  

Are you saying that the cav15 type lower is a bad idea or any monolityic lower is a bad idea?  Why?  

I dont' know that making a mono lower would make the gun necessarily stronger in every respect...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Next Generation Arms was working on an aluminum monolithic lower, they went out of business before if was brought to market.  The stock was not integral, just a carbine buffer tube.  Problem with that is if you break the tube, your entire lower is now fubar.  The Cav design is insanely tough though, maybe the monolithic aluminum would have been as well, I don't know.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Next Generation Arms was working on an aluminum monolithic lower, they went out of business before if was brought to market.  The stock was not integral, just a carbine buffer tube.  Problem with that is if you break the tube, your entire lower is now fubar.  The Cav design is insanely tough though, maybe the monolithic aluminum would have been as well, I don't know.
View Quote

thx for the clarification.  Yes, I suppose it is better to have the buffer separate.  this is a trade off w/ the AR.  you get a better balancing rifle by having the action spring behind the carrier and the piston in the carrier, but having the action spring in the rear produces another way the gun can be broken if the stock breaks.

Thx for clarifying about the cav arms lowers being strong.  I suspect some of their strength would come from increased suppleness in that they woudl flex rather than break more than aluminum probably.

I also think its pretty sween that they are set up ready to take grease gun mags too.  Also, I see that gwas is selling proprietary aluminum takedown/pivot pins for their lowers.

Perhaps a Cav arms lower is the lightest strongest lower one can get.  Since one can shorten the butt quite a bit to like sully length that migh tbe the ultimate for a go to KISS lower.   I just hate the traditioal rake of the pistol grip, but a guy could always reshape it and build up w/ epoxy how he wants it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top