Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2014 12:28:35 AM EDT
New to the forum, but not very knew to the shooting world. However I'm building my first AR15 and im stuck on the barrel i want to use. This is what i do know, i want a medium contour 14.5" barrel with a mid length gas system and am planning on pin/welding a muzzle break onto it. Im looking for a good quality barrel thats at least MPI inspected, along with having either a chrome or QPQ melonite lined bore. I would like to keep the price under $200
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an FN I bought at riflegear.com and a Spikes(from FN blank) I bought at brownells.  Both are GREAT barrels.  This is where I would go.  The daniel defense barrels as a whole are great also, I do not own one.  It is impossible to go wrong with one of these barrels, period.  Not to say there aren't other good ones.

Edit:  Sorry did not see your $200 hardline to start with.  All I can say is these barrels are well worth the $.  My preference is a CHF CL barrel for hard use.  

Edit again:  I handled the arfcom nitride barrels at an event, they looked very well made.  on sale $99 for 14.75"  us a regular length birdcage

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Move up to 16" middy (optimal gas length) and your options open up considerably. Right now PA has a STEAL on Radical Firearms 16" middy melonited barrel for $65. You will NEVER see a (decent) middy less than that. EVER. Is 1.5 inches worth the hassle of pin/welding, harder to find barrels, and not easily being able to remove FH or swap out barrel nuts (change of handguard/FF tube)?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I concur...if you want to be able to do work on your rifle later on, you really don't want a pinned and welded flash hider...got one like that now and unless I want to get out the dremel, it stays in its current configuration.

Primary Arms has a nice middy 16" melonite for $65 on sale...its a decent barrel even at full price.

If you want something of higher quality, check out AR15Performance.

Its a small shop, just a couple of guys that make fantastic barrels, so their inventory fluctuates a lot.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
riflegear.com has voodoo innovations 14.5 midlengths 10% off this week. Believe they were about $180 out the door.  I passed on it and went with a 16 from elite tactical for $118 with shipping.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
After some searching, I found 16" government contour voodoo barrel for a great. Just over $100, for the price is it worth picking one up? What are your thoughts on the voodoo barrel? Keep in mind this is not a CHF barrel, however it is new.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're looking for cheap and are ok with a 16" barrel (which I infer from your post above), check out Primary Arms.  Right now they're selling a 16" midlength barrel for $65 (!) .

Link:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical_Firearms_16_Mid_Length_Barrel_1_7_Twist_p/rf1617m.htm

Hope that helps,

-bob
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#8]
How do those primary arms barrels preform?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do those primary arms barrels preform?
View Quote

Too early to tell. At the $65 sale price they are no brainer. But by the time reviews come out (the $110 reviews are positive), the sale will be long over. Order it. At worst, you can always sell it later ($65 barrel vs the next cheapest which is $100 and that's carbine length!).
I'm truly amazed these didn't sell out instantly. You will NEVER see a melonited middy barrel for that price EVER again.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Voodoo 16" government profile (QPQ Melonite) for $110 or Radical Arms 16" (QPQ Melonite) for $65

Which would you guys choose?

Are the Radical barrels MPI inspected?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought the voodoo 16" from elite tactical. I already have two 14.5" vi barrels and they shoot 1-1.5 moa.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
voodoo
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Ordered the voodoo, cant wait to see how it preforms.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I concur...if you want to be able to do work on your rifle later on, you really don't want a pinned and welded flash hider...got one like that now and unless I want to get out the dremel, it stays in its current configuration.

Primary Arms has a nice middy 16" melonite for $65 on sale...its a decent barrel even at full price.

If you want something of higher quality, check out AR15Performance.

Its a small shop, just a couple of guys that make fantastic barrels, so their inventory fluctuates a lot.
View Quote

I have a 14.5" from AR15 Performance and a 14.5 from Aero Precision.  Both mid-length and both nitride/melonited.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top