Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Newbie observation here. I've been reading about melonite barrels since looking at RF's. I'm reading that since the melonite is "harder" than chrome it may take a little more break-in/seasoning before the barrel gets it's accuracy. Not sure if this might of applied to anyone here but it sounds like even if you are having a problem RF stands behind their product anyways.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do they make a .300blk and does anyone know where they're in stock if so?
View Quote

The 8.5" HBAR is in stock at Primary Arms

https://www.primaryarms.com/300BLK_Barrels_s/5022.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=5022&show=30&page=1&brand=Radical%20Firearms
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Finally got a carbide drill bit to dimple the barrel.  What a difference that makes when drilling.  Don't know when I'll get out to test it out though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
My 16" SOCOM has been sitting around for a while. I finally shot it today. From left to right, the groups are 1) six shots at 100 yards in 2.02" with the seventh shot a mystery (the hole at the top is a sighter); 2) five shots in 1.867" at 25 yards with a 5 moa reflex red dot mounted offset at 45 degrees; 3) five shots in .4" at 25 yards through the scope. All groups were shot with commercially reloaded 55 grain lead tips, on a bench, off bags. The barrel looks to be capable of 2 moa, maybe better after some messing with ammo. Not bad at all for $77 shipped. To be fair, I did get a very wonky group at 100 with PMC ammo before shooting these groups, but I don't think that was the barrel.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Supposed to be melonite, color looks the same as my blued Howa barrel, much blacker than a parkerized barrel. Doesn't look like the tennifer on my Glock either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing. Is it just the pics or it that barrel blued???

Supposed to be melonite, color looks the same as my blued Howa barrel, much blacker than a parkerized barrel. Doesn't look like the tennifer on my Glock either.

It's melonited
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran some Hornady 75 gr bhtps and 53 gain Vmax through my Radical barrel a few days ago. The 75s turned in a 2.095" five shot group at 100 yards, while the 53s shot 2.844".
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Went to install one of the 3 barrels that I purchased in November, other 2 installed no issues.

On this occasion however I tightened down the barrel nut and went to loosen to re-tighten and align but as I was attempting to loosen the barrel nut the entire receiver turned and sheared the index pin in half.

Was using a Reaction Rod for the install, this was a first for me.  I have in the past used to much force and displaced an index pin but I have never sheared one in half.  

Barrel is on the way back to Radical for repair.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Went to install one of the 3 barrels that I purchased in November, other 2 installed no issues.

On this occasion however I tightened down the barrel nut and went to loosen to re-tighten and align but as I was attempting to loosen the barrel nut the entire receiver turned and sheared the index pin in half.

Was using a Reaction Rod for the install, this was a first for me.  I have in the past used to much force and displaced an index pin but I have never sheared one in half.  

View Quote

That's really weird. I can see that happening with a clamshell, but not a reaction rod since there isn't any load on the receiver when using the reaction rod. I don't suppose you have pictures of your setup?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's really weird. I can see that happening with a clamshell, but not a reaction rod since there isn't any load on the receiver when using the reaction rod. I don't suppose you have pictures of your setup?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not unfortunately, was using a 4 in Vise to hold reaction rod and DPMS AR wrench for barrel nut, tightened it down and was loosening it back up like norm and next thing I know the whole receiver turned with the barrel nut, switched over to a clam shell to stop receiver movement and was able to remove the barrel nut with standard amount of torque and found that the index pin had been sheared in half, part still sitting in the index slot, and sheared clean with the barrel.  I did not put excessive force on the barrel nut and this was only the first limited torque tightening to start to stretch the threads for proper alignment.

I did use areoshell 33, on the receiver threads and barrel extension, looks like it may have just been a bad/weak pin as it didnt deform the index slot at all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is *more* load on the pin when using a reaction rod than when using a clamshell.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is *more* load on the pin when using a reaction rod than when using a clamshell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Radical took care of the issue quickly and barrel was properly installed.   I have now replaced the reaction rod with a BEV Block
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, you're right. I was thinking muzzle device for some reason. When installing a barrel nut I agree there is more load on the pin with reaction rod than clamshell.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I received my $59 Melonite 7.62x39mm 10.5" pistol barrel today I am very happy with it.  I also ordered a gas block and tube for just $9.99 with it.

It looks great!  I am jsut thrilled as can be to get such quality parts for such low prices.  I am real happy with it.  Its finish is nice, clean shiney bore.  fits on a receiver, flash hider goes on fine - What else could one want?  I am Going to build a x39 pistol build someday.  Getting the parts slowly.  Just ordered BCG from AIM.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#14]
So far mine seems to be a 2 MOA barrel, will be doing more testing when I go out to the ranch. It has run Tula all the way to MK262 with no issues, and no blown primers with the 5.56 loads. Seems to be a great blaster barrel imo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I received my $59 Melonite 7.62x39mm 10.5" pistol barrel today I am very happy with it.  I also ordered a gas block and tube for just $9.99 with it.

It looks great!  I am jsut thrilled as can be to get such quality parts for such low prices.  I am real happy with it.  Its finish is nice, clean shiney bore.  fits on a receiver, flash hider goes on fine - What else could one want?  I am Going to build a x39 pistol build someday.  Getting the parts slowly.  Just ordered BCG from AIM.

View Quote

I did the same a few weeks ago. I put the upper together with parts I had around the house. Took it out and have about 300 rounds through it as of now. I have not had a single problem with mine as of yet. Shoots great, is as accurate as I need it to be and chews up steel case like no ones business. Just got in some 20 round asc mags and tried them on Friday. As with the other mags, absolutely no problems. I did order a Cason Eng bolt for it and relegated my TA to back up duty. I will be looking to buy another one before long or maybe one of the 249.00 uppers they are selling. Awesome price. They also stand behind their stuff. I live a short distance from them and Primary Arms and both will do you right.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple Radical barrels to put together soon and was wondering if anyone is dimpling there barrels before using the set screw low profile GB's. For reference, I will be using the Radical steel GB's and a 16" 5.56 midlength and 8.5" 300 barrel to do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully I got one of the barrels that the extension is properly torqued.  I did go out and finally shoot my Radical mid-length SOCOM barrel.  I put just 60 rounds through it but I did try different types.  I did Independence 5.56 193, PMC Bronze 2.23, and Wolf WPA.  They all shot fine.  I did dimple my barrel for the gas block.  So far I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a RF bbl with a PA 4x ACSS scope and shot a ten shot 2 7/8" group at 70 yards with 55 grain Tula the other day
those BBLs are G2G
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top