Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Mine won't run Wolf 55gr.  
View Quote

Really? My first radical barrel was an M4 cut 16" carbine gas, ran nearly 1K of wolf before swapping to the mid length gas "SOCOM" cut barrel, now I only have 250 or so rds of wolf thru the new barrel today but so far not one issue. What malfunction are you getting if I may ask?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

Really? My first radical barrel was an M4 cut 16" carbine gas, ran nearly 1K of wolf before swapping to the mid length gas "SOCOM" cut barrel, now I only have 250 or so rds of wolf thru the new barrel today but so far not one issue. What malfunction are you getting if I may ask?

Edit:

Double tap I guess... anyway I see you edited your post, maybe more break in will help, might need a little more lube? I don't run my BCG dripping wet... more like moist.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just edited my post.

Short stroking after 4 - 5 rounds.

Brass cased IMI and ZQI run great!

The lower has a Spikes T2 buffer in it.  I tried a carbine buffer and still had the same issue.

This is a new build though, so perhaps another couple hundred NATO spec rounds will fix it up...

ETA: The wolf ammo is OLD. I even have some white box seriously early wolf (TCW) ammo mixed in.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just edited my post.

The lower has a Spikes T2 buffer in it.  I tried a carbine buffer and still had the same issue.

This is a new build though, so perhaps another couple hundred NATO spec rounds will fix it up...

ETA: The wolf ammo is OLD. I even have some white box seriously early wolf (TCW) ammo mixed in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just edited my post.

May actually be an ammo problem.  I am in no way knocking steel, I shoot a ton of it.  But if I remember correctly, the older Tula was seriously under powered, and everybody had problems.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

May actually be an ammo problem.  I am in no way knocking steel, I shoot a ton of it.  But if I remember correctly, the older Tula was seriously under powered, and everybody had problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure it's ammo related also.

The crappy part is all of my carbines run the old wolf fine.

This is my first midlength system.    

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, another good purchase!  I put a little over 300rds thru my Mid length radical barrel today, mostly Wolf 55gr and some M193/SS109 without issue. The barrel gas port is much like the carbine gas version, maybe slightly over gassed with M193/ss109 but runs smooth with either a carbine buffer/spring or an H buffer/enhanced spring(little smother). Wolf runs smooth with the H buffer/enhanced spring as well.
Accuracy.... I was not having my best day I sighted in at 50yds, groups were in the 2-4 inch range BUT most of this was me! I shot my dedicated 22lr and 10.5 equally poorly and I KNOW they shoot better when I'm on my game...it was just one of those days. Still, 2-4 inches at 50yds is not bad with a RDS and cheap ammo, when you factor in I built this upper to run wolf until the rifling is gone and will be shooting mostly under 50 yds close quarter drills even if the accuracy is no better it's still perfectly acceptable for the given purpose IMHO.

Overall, for a $65 barrel it's a steal, I should have bought 2
View Quote

.  My 2 showed up today. Visually both look very good. Wish I bought 4.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA:  Won't run == Short stroking after 4 - 5 rounds.   IMI and ZQI run great!

Perhaps another couple hundred NATO spec rounds will fix it up...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, another good purchase!  I put a little over 300rds thru my Mid length radical barrel today, mostly Wolf 55gr and some M193/SS109 without issue. The barrel gas port is much like the carbine gas version, maybe slightly over gassed with M193/ss109 but runs smooth with either a carbine buffer/spring or an H buffer/enhanced spring(little smother). Wolf runs smooth with the H buffer/enhanced spring as well.
Accuracy.... I was not having my best day I sighted in at 50yds, groups were in the 2-4 inch range BUT most of this was me! I shot my dedicated 22lr and 10.5 equally poorly and I KNOW they shoot better when I'm on my game...it was just one of those days. Still, 2-4 inches at 50yds is not bad with a RDS and cheap ammo, when you factor in I built this upper to run wolf until the rifling is gone and will be shooting mostly under 50 yds close quarter drills even if the accuracy is no better it's still perfectly acceptable for the given purpose IMHO.

Hmm. I wondered about this. The first thing I thought when looking it over (other than my examples horrific chamber) was that the gas hole looked undersized. I don't have my calipers here. Has anyone measured the gas port of the 16" middies?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmm. I wondered about this. The first thing I thought when looking it over (other than my examples horrific chamber) was that the gas hole looked undersized. I don't have my calipers here. Has anyone measured the gas port of the 16" middies?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just measured mine at it was exactly .0750
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My understanding is this a good size for a middy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Well guys, I just got back from the range to test out the new build using the Radical Firearms 16" Mid Length Barrel  (1:7 Twist - SOCOM Contour - QPQ Melonite). Everything function just as it should. No issues with the barrel whatsoever. Accuracy was right on par with my BCM 14.5" mid-length I have on another build. For the price, the Radical Firearms 16" Mid Length Barrel was a great buy and, from all indications, good to go. barrel
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well guys, I just got back from the range to test out the new build using the Radical Firearms 16" Mid Length Barrel  (1:7 Twist - SOCOM Contour - QPQ Melonite). Everything function just as it should. No issues with the barrel whatsoever. Accuracy was right on par with my BCM 14.5" mid-length I have on another build. For the price, the Radical Firearms 16" Mid Length Barrel was a great buy and, from all indications, good to go. barrel
View Quote

What kind of accuracy were you getting with the Radical barrel?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, what ammo?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one and two showed up Yes I contacted PA and am returning the extra one

I think I mine looks fine, especially for the money.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Followup to my short stroking.

All is resolved.

I put another 90 ZQI rounds through it and then gave it a good cleaning.

Now it is shooting my old TCW/Wolf and TulAmmo fine and is catching on an empty mag.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Also, what ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, what ammo?

Ammo was Federal XM193. At 50 yards with iron sights, I was holding about 1.5MOA. I can do better with a magnified optic. My eyes are not what they use to be.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Project 'beater carbine' is alive.  The purpose of this build was simply to have a beater / woods / truck gun that I didn't mind getting banged up, dirty or scratched, or care when I ran copious amounts of crappy ammo through it.  Basically something I could abuse without too much regard.  Combined with the $65 barrel, I picked up a $40 Anderson lower, Bushmaster upper with complete BCG for $119, and a bunch of extras and used parts I picked up from the local gun forum.  I know the handguard is very 1995, but it was stupid cheap, and it's actually pretty nice.  Not counting sights, I have less than $300 into this build.  With such a cheap rifle, one might be suspicious of the quality, but with all of the black Friday deals, I was able to build this using pretty decent parts.  I had an extra gas block that I used as a dummy block and made it into kind of a dissipator-ish rifle.

I took it out this afternoon and did a very rough zero.  After getting it on paper, I fired a quick 5 round group off of sandbags at 100 yards using Atlanta Arms 55 grn ammo.  While it's no Noveske, the accuracy displayed is more than enough for what I plan on using the rifle for, and is better than I expected.

I ran some light 55s, some XM193 and some 64 grn Gold Dots--all functioned perfectly with a standard buffer.  I'm glad I bought two of these barrels and wish I had bought more.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Went to assemble my build using this barrel and none of the 3 brands of Gas Blocks I have fit. They are too tight. Gonna followup with some measurements tomorrow. You ever get such a great eal on a product you just insist on making it work as intended.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
That is odd my YHM gas block was looser than normal on my build.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
My RF barrel came pre-dimpled but the low profile gas block (Yankee Hill) didn't line up witht the dimples.  Shoots fine though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine did not come dimpled and my troy gas block won't stay tight on. Even when screwed on as tight as possible, I can still get it to move a bit if I twist on it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I used an Odin Works Low Profile Gas Block (.750) on my Radical Firearms 16" Mid Length Barrel (1:7 Twist - SOCOM Contour - QPQ Melonite). Slip over the barrel nicely and tightened up very well. Barreled was not dimpled which is no big deal to me. Everything functions just fine. During cleaning after the first time out, I checked the gas block and everything was still nice and tight.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not sure where the QC issues is but..

My M4 profile 16" carbine gas radical barrel was dimpled. The dimples didn't line up with my Troy low pro GB however. The Troy GB was a good slip fit needing only a good firm push with my hand to seat it, I set, then reset the set screws several times, then hit them with some red thread locker and locked them down. The GB and set screws were still tight and stayed put for nearly 1K before the barrel was replaced by the 16 Mid length gas barrel. The only reason the M4 barrel was replaced is I wanted a mid length gas system.

The "SOCOM" profile 16" mid length barrel didn't have any dimples. I put a YHM low pro GB on this barrel, I needed a few good but not hard smacks from a dead blow hammer to set the GB, no way I could have done this by hand like the M4/Troy combo. Once in place, I set then, reset the set screws and used a little red thread locker and locked them down. I have about 300rds on this new combo but I don't see the GB coming lose, I'll put a few rd's thru it this weekend IF it stops raining

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
 Combined with the $65 barrel, I picked up a $40 Anderson lower, Bushmaster upper with complete BCG for $119, and a bunch of extras and used parts I picked up from the local gun forum.  I know the handguard is very 1995, but it was stupid cheap, and it's actually pretty nice.  Not counting sights, I have less than $300 into this build.
View Quote

That's an excellent budget build! Looking good (and nice group too!)! Although $65+$40+$119 = $224. I have no idea how you sourced a complete lower build kit, furniture, LP gas block, gas tube, flash hider, etc for the remaining $76... but if so, you are the MASTER bargain hunter!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Went to assemble my build using this barrel and none of the 3 brands of Gas Blocks I have fit. They are too tight. Gonna followup with some measurements tomorrow. You ever get such a great eal on a product you just insist on making it work as intended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
That is odd my YHM gas block was looser than normal on my build.

Quoted:
My RF barrel came pre-dimpled but the low profile gas block (Yankee Hill) didn't line up witht the dimples.  Shoots fine though.

Quoted:
Mine did not come dimpled and my troy gas block won't stay tight on. Even when screwed on as tight as possible, I can still get it to move a bit if I twist on it.

Quoted:
I'm not sure where the QC issues is but..

My M4 profile 16" carbine gas radical barrel was dimpled. The dimples didn't line up with my Troy low pro GB however.

Damn, fellas.  I know the price is reasonable, but I hope there are no issues beyond these.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's an excellent budget build! Looking good (and nice group too!)! Although $65+$40+$119 = $224. I have no idea how you sourced a complete lower build kit, furniture, LP gas block, gas tube, flash hider, etc for the remaining $76... but if so, you are the MASTER bargain hunter!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Combined with the $65 barrel, I picked up a $40 Anderson lower, Bushmaster upper with complete BCG for $119, and a bunch of extras and used parts I picked up from the local gun forum.  I know the handguard is very 1995, but it was stupid cheap, and it's actually pretty nice.  Not counting sights, I have less than $300 into this build.

Bought the extension and stock used for $25, a LPK minus FCG (which I had) for $24, gas tube for $10, flash hider on sale at Brownells for $6 and a cut down FSB that was free.  I guess replacing the standard A2 grip with the Ergo technically put me over $300, but only by a couple of dollars.  I know it's not a high-end build, but for what I plan on using it for, it's perfect!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bought the extension and stock used for $25, a LPK minus FCG (which I had) for $24, gas tube for $10, flash hider on sale at Brownells for $6 and a cut down FSB that was free.  I guess replacing the standard A2 grip with the Ergo technically put me over $300, but only by a couple of dollars.  I know it's not a high-end build, but for what I plan on using it for, it's perfect!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll say! You did good!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#27]
You get what you pay for.

Mine has an excellent finish, none of the issues seen earlier with stuff in the chamber. I happened to have a krieger on the bench when the radical arrived and can say the radical's bore is no where near as smooth or well lapped, but $65 vs $500.

Today I took the radical barrel to the range. I built it on a rifle made of spare parts I had lying around. Only large items I needed to buy were the barrel and handguard. I also picked up a PA MD-ADS to put on top of it. I also brought my primary rifle with a SR-15e3 barrel to the range just to compare.

The accuracy of the barrel was poor. I guess I shouldn't have expected much for $65 though. This is definitely a "You get what you pay for" moment. These groups were shot at 25 yards:

Using irons:

After sighting in the red dot, I shot 2 groups of 3 without changing sights. Then I fired 6 rounds out of the SR-15 barreled rifle:

Both rifles have 16" barrels and 2 MOA red dots. Both were shot with M855. The 6 rounds from the SR-15 barrel are stacked right on top of one another. The 6 from the radical...aren't. Obviously this isn't a very scientific accuracy comparison between the two, but rather just to show that it wasn't [completely] the shooter's fault.

I'm not sure if I want to contact PA about it since I think the performance is reasonable for what I paid for it. It also goes to show that although QPQ is seen as a more accurate option to chrome lining, the quality of the barrel is still a lot more important.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if I want to contact PA about it since I think the performance is reasonable for what I paid for it. It also goes to show that although QPQ is seen as a more accurate option to chrome lining, the quality of the barrel is still a lot more important.
View Quote

PA will want you to work with Radical on troubleshooting the barrel's accuracy. I sent mine back to Radical and they replaced it with a different style barrel from what I sent in due to horrible accuracy. Mine was shooting worse than yours with three different types of ammo. I am going to sell the replacement barrel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#30]
So I changed my mind. I am going to contact PA and/or Radical about this barrel. Here's why:

I took both rifles out to the range again today to shoot at 50 yards this time. The plan was to do extensive testing between the two and see whether the radical was "good enough". After firing 5 rounds from benchrest with the radical, I stopped because well:

Radical barrel on the left, SR-15 barrel on the right. Both using M855 and 2 MOA red dots. Only 5 rounds each. The black is 5.75" diameter. The group size is about that so I would call this a 12 MOA group.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So I changed my mind. I am going to contact PA and/or Radical about this barrel. Here's why:

I took both rifles out to the range again today to shoot at 50 yards this time. The plan was to do extensive testing between the two and see whether the radical was "good enough". After firing 5 rounds from benchrest with the radical, I stopped because well:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/20141219_112152_zpsjl1pmauy.jpg

Radical barrel on the left, SR-15 barrel on the right. Both using M855 and 2 MOA red dots. Only 5 rounds each. The black is 5.75" diameter. The group size is about that so I would call this a 12 MOA group.
View Quote

Holy hell, brother
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I called PA and radical. As stated above, PA told me to contact Radical about the barrel, reasonable enough. I called radical and no one picked up from any of the menu options. Furthermore, their voicemail boxes were full so I couldn't leave a message. Perhaps they are out due to the holidays. In any case, it's only $65 so it's not a huge loss.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well I called PA and radical. As stated above, PA told me to contact Radical about the barrel, reasonable enough. I called radical and no one picked up from any of the menu options. Furthermore, their voicemail boxes were full so I couldn't leave a message. Perhaps they are out due to the holidays. In any case, it's only $65 so it's not a huge loss.
View Quote

It's almost like they knew something was wrong with them... But failed to tell us. $65 is cheap for a barrel, expensive for a junk piece of steel. I have two, I will be contacting them also.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's almost like they knew something was wrong with them... But failed to tell us. $65 is cheap for a barrel, expensive for a junk piece of steel. I have two, I will be contacting them also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If yours shoot fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. At $65, I wasn't expecting much. 5-6 MOA would have been acceptable for the price, but double that is pretty bad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, I hope mine shoots better than that Hopefully I'll get it out in the next few days.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Damn, I hope mine shoots better than that Hopefully I'll get it out in the next few days.
View Quote

Same here... hoping to test it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't finished my build, but hope to test mine out soon. Don't look at it as a $65 barrel. Look at it as a $120 barrel (price BEFORE PA sale). MANY MANY others have paid full price for this barrel, so it (regardless of $65 sale) had BETTER be better than that. Super sale or not, you have to look at products as worth MSRP, as that's what many people have paid.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#38]
That isn't a SOCOM contour barrel.  That is a Gov't profile barrel.  If the company doesn't know the difference that says something from the start.  

A SOCOM contour barrel should at minimum be the same diameter as a SOCOM barrel up to the carbine gas block location, like a SOCOM barrel.  Obviously I understand the consumer market, and a lot of the actual SOCOM guns don't need their slab side cuts for M203's (as nearly no consumers have 203's and most SF personnel don't run them), but the heavier contour enhances durability and accuracy, while reducing operating temp, cookoff round count, and barrel failure at cyclic ROF.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#39]
It floors me when some of you guys automatically blame the problem of accuracy on the barrel. I have found that in most all cases, the issue is more related to the shooter's inability to use proper technique and their choice of cheap inconsistent ammo. Just to let you guys know, I have been shooting guns (pistols and rifles) for almost 50 years and I have been shooting the M16/AR15 platform for over 36 years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It floors me when some of you guys automatically blame the problem of accuracy on the barrel. I have found that in most all cases, the issue is more related to the shooter's inability to use proper technique and their choice of cheap inconsistent ammo. Just to let you guys know, I have been shooting guns (pistols and rifles) for almost 50 years and I have been shooting the M16/AR15 platform for over 36 years.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's why LennyO included a target shot the same day from an SR15 using the same ammo and set-up to show its not him.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Lennyo, I have some questions.

First, what torque did you put on the barrel nut?

Second, What irons were you using?

Third, did you test the new red dot on a different rifle?

And last, what muzzle device are you using, and how did you torque it?

You have multiple variables to account for before blaming the barrel. Maybe you have, but you didn't say you did in your post.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Taking mine out tomorrow. I have it mounted on a Bushmaster upper with a MI KeyMod 12" FF hand guard. I will be comparing it to a DD16" 1:7 Twist Barrel mounted on a Bushmaster Upper with a MI M-Lok 12" Hand guard (VG6 Precision Epsilon Brake).  

I may switch out the Brakes so both have the exact same one, but that depends on time (Radical Barrel is equipped with the Lantac Dragon right now). 25, 50, and 100 yard testing.. I will post my results here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You have multiple variables to account for before blaming the barrel. Maybe you have, but you didn't say you did in your post.
View Quote

Torqued to 30 ft/lb and then a little more to time barrel nut, less than 50. Matech rear, mbps front, did not try the red dot but had similar accuracy with both irons and red dot. Muzzle device was DD superior suppression device. All the components listed except the red dot were take offs from other rifles that shot acceptably. The rifle I compared it to was this one which took a lot more effort to put together and optimized.:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/661490_My_technology_test_build.html

I'm not saying all radical barrels will shoot like this, just that this particular one does.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not everything comes out perfect in manufacturing. Sometimes things out of tolerance slip through, whether it be intentional or not. But as the OP stated it is a 65.00 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Had mine out yesterday, didn't get a chance to print any groups on paper but it shot like I would expect it to, certainly not a 12MOA barrel like the above example.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm waiting on a specific FF rail to be back in stock, so it'll take awhile to test mine. I hope other buyers chime in here with their results. I'm getting very nervous that this barrel won't even be worthy of a FF rail
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Torqued to 30 ft/lb and then a little more to time barrel nut, less than 50. Matech rear, mbps front, did not try the red dot but had similar accuracy with both irons and red dot. Muzzle device was DD superior suppression device. All the components listed except the red dot were take offs from other rifles that shot acceptably. The rifle I compared it to was this one which took a lot more effort to put together and optimized.:

I'm not saying all radical barrels will shoot like this, just that this particular one does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot one question, how did you clean the barrel prior to shooting? They seem to have a good amount of goo in the bores when new.

And now that I'm thinking about it, did you have your torque wrench 90 degrees with the barrel nut adapter? If not, your torque values are only a guess. Also, did you lube the threads? Did you torque and loosen the nut a time or two, then final torque?

Sorry if any of this is redundant, I have no idea what experience you have with these, so I'm just working it through in my mind.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#48]
The reviews left on the Primary Arms website suggest a different experience.  Lots of happy people.  I suggest the buyers of the barrel (who no doubt have them by now) complete their builds, haul them out to the range, and print some groups.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Ours wont be together until mid Jan, but there are others posted in this thread with positive and even good results.  We do have 1 barrel that seems not so good...  It could just be that 1, period.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I forgot one question, how did you clean the barrel prior to shooting? They seem to have a good amount of goo in the bores when new.

And now that I'm thinking about it, did you have your torque wrench 90 degrees with the barrel nut adapter? If not, your torque values are only a guess. Also, did you lube the threads? Did you torque and loosen the nut a time or two, then final torque?

Sorry if any of this is redundant, I have no idea what experience you have with these, so I'm just working it through in my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cleaned with boreshine like I do all my new barrels. Yes like I write manufacturing instructions(although in aerospace we generally have specialized wrenches specific to their application), yes with lubriplate like every other of the dozen or so I've built, yes three times to seat the threads. I also wiped my ass with Charmin ultra strong as lesser tp will have a higher chance to break and potentially end up with a finger up my ass. This can cause a slip when torquing and potentially screwing up the value. Any other things you'd like to know? I will admit that I have not calibrated my torque wrench since I bought it 3 years ago. I also did not torque it in a room at the same temperature that it was calibrated for. In some aerospace parts, this matters (but usually not, calibration is huge though).

No company puts out barrels consistently this bad. I would bet 1 in a 1000 shoot like mine. But I also bet that probability is also higher than known quality brands. Now for $65 I took that risk and I lost. I fully expect the next 10 reviewers to come on here reporting much better accuracy. Although granted there were a few other people reporting poor accuracy, I'm sure some people are happy with theirs. I originally posted my results as it was about this barrel. I really don't hold this against radical as some lemons should be expected given its price. I have not yet given them a chance to fix the issues as its the holidays and both they and I are busy.

Fwiw, I own a lot of different barrels and have had accuracy issues with barrels from BCM and Krieger. The Krieger was actually shooting better than MOA but when the gunsmith called to ask how it was shooting, he was surprised it wasn't well below 1/2 and asked me to send the rifle back for barrel replacement. Krieger actually replaced it on their dime.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top