Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 8:04:33 PM EDT
Either my search skills are lacking or nobody cares but I'm about to drop several hundred dollars on three different hand guards and want to know which you prefer. I'm over quad rails. I want smooth, light, strong, and flexible mounting options.

Keymod seems more prevalent but there's no denying Magpul's marketing skills and product quality.

What is the better more supported system? What did you pick and why?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I went KeyMod... just seems like the better of the two.

BTW.... it seems like you could easily use one with the other....actually it will be far easier to drill plastic than metal... so I am glad I bought KeyMod

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/661021_Is_there_any_reason_I_couldn_t_replace_the_M_Lok_nuts___bolts_with_a_KeyMod_Nut_and_Bolt___SOLVED___.html

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Geissele MK1 - gives you modular or picatinny.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've bought into m lok with no experience in keymod

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
As of right now Keymod has a much larger market for second hand parts. It's been out for a few years now, so mounts and accessories are plentiful and easy to come by. With this being said, I believe M-LOK to be the superior design. It's simple, easier to manufacture, and easier to mount accessories to. Not to mention it looks much cleaner and not like industial shelving. But... due to the fact that so many manufactures have spent time and money to begin producing Kemod rails and accessories over the past few years, i believe it will be a while before M-LOK truely catches on and takes over the market. So, my recomendation is, if you want something fast and cost effective go with the Keymod. It will get the job done just fine and theres nothing wrong with it. But if you dont mind spending a little extra and waiting on aftermarket accessories then go with the M-LOK. it would be the better long term investment. Either way you cant go wrong, its just personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As of right now Keymod has a much larger market for second hand parts. It's been out for a few years now, so mounts and accessories are plentiful and easy to come by. With this being said, I believe M-LOK to be the superior design. It's simple, easier to manufacture, and easier to mount accessories to. Not to mention it looks much cleaner and not like industial shelving. But... due to the fact that so many manufactures have spent time and money to begin producing Kemod rails and accessories over the past few years, i believe it will be a while before M-LOK truely catches on and takes over the market. So, my recomendation is, if you want something fast and cost effective go with the Keymod. It will get the job done just fine and theres nothing wrong with it. But if you dont mind spending a little extra and waiting on aftermarket accessories then go with the M-LOK. it would be the better long term investment. Either way you cant go wrong, its just personal preference.
View Quote

Spot on assessment.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Spot on assessment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on assessment.

Agreed. This was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I'm going with the industrial shelving. It should last for several years or until my needs/tastes change. Now to wait for some Black Friday deals.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Either my search skills are lacking or nobody cares but I'm about to drop several hundred dollars on three different hand guards and want to know which you prefer. I'm over quad rails. I want smooth, light, strong, and flexible mounting options.

Keymod seems more prevalent but there's no denying Magpul's marketing skills and product quality.

What is the better more supported system? What did you pick and why?
View Quote

Look at the Diamondhead VRS-T rails. Made from 8.25 to 15 inch lengths. They have a top rail and are drilled and tapped at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock for modular rail sections. They are very, very nice and comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, Geissele dropped all key mod rails and is going strictly Mlok. Even the MK1 is no longer available to the general public.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FWIW, Geissele dropped all key mod rails and is going strictly Mlok. Even the MK1 is no longer available to the general public.
View Quote

I saw that and believe it was a bad decision but time will tell.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit!  I just got mine installed

Still love it.  Hopefully I can still get another

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends on what rail you want.

Both are fine, but I have a Keymod cause its the lightest 13" rail out there, and M-LOK is still new so well have to wait and see what the flaws are.

The best M-LOk rail out right now is from Geissele and the best Keymond is from BCM. Take your pick.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#13]
BCM KMR. I absolutely love mine. Crazy light weight, sturdy, and the industrial shelving look is fantastic. The only problem with the KMR is the finish, it comes off easily if your gun isn't a safe queen. Would recommend.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a stickler for having rail covers because of heat build up.  There is no Mlok compatible rail covers.  I guess everyone wears gloves when shooting but I don't usually.

I'll be going KeyMod next unless something new comes out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]
M Lok is the future IMO.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm a stickler for having rail covers because of heat build up.  There is no Mlok compatible rail covers.  I guess everyone wears gloves when shooting but I don't usually.

View Quote

One of the Magpul crew mentioned elsewhere that new thin M-Lok rail covers are coming in the new year...
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One of the Magpul crew mentioned elsewhere that new thin M-Lok rail covers are coming in the new year...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good news, I have been looking for some covers.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the look of keymod more, and they seem lighter when compared like-for-like against the same manufacturer's mlok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top