Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 12:38:03 PM EDT
Im looking at purchasing another upper and an ambi charging handle. I have a chance to pick up both at the same time to save on shipping and maybe a few $ on the handle as well.
My question is this. Beside the magical noveske cross, are there any differences or real advantages to the noveske over all the other uppers on the market? The price on the chainsaw is about $80 stripped.
I see uppers with f/a and dust cover installed for less than that., in fact I  payed $64 shipped for an assembled  Anderson last week. I don't mind paying more for a better product but have no interest in paying 20-30% more just for a company logo.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe there is any significant difference in a standard forged upper. The MUR (Vltor) which you can get a Noveske marked one, that one is a bit different with thicker walls in places so it is more durable if you need that. You can make a different argument when you start talking barrels though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't believe there is any significant difference in a standard forged upper. The MUR (Vltor) which you can get a Noveske marked one, that one is a bit different with thicker walls in places so it is more durable if you need that. You can make a different argument when you start talking barrels though.
View Quote

Thanks for your reply I didn't think there was any functional difference between their chainsaw forged upper and most others. I like Noveske stuff, but If the only difference is a logo I think I will pass.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a bit of a Noveske fan boy myself. I have decided my next build will be full on Noveske. I want to build a 10.5" and this time around I don't want a Frankengun. It is going to cost a pretty penny and will take me a while to do it but it should be nice when finished.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the chainsaw were blems
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#5]
They are. But OP was asking if Noveske uppers are any different than any other forged uppers on the market. To the best of my knowledge I don't believe they are.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I've trued several uppers now and some brands tend to not any truing (good from factory) and some tend to need a good bit. I have not done it to a Noveske upper so I wouldn't know how it stacks up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the chainsaw were blems
View Quote

They are, but purely cosmetic.  I have a few of them.

I bought purely for the name, but I can say that my Noveske and Mega uppers are a tad tighter fit at the barrel.  I have had to warm up the uppers, and put the barrels in the freezer to get them to slide in.

Not a huge indicator of anything, just what I have experienced.

Here is an example of one of my Chainsaw blems.  Look at the upper left on the iron cross on the upper, it is "smudged"

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not believe that the N4 uppers are any different than another quality manufacturer. What Noveske does have, however, is quick, no BS service.

I've had many Noveske uppers lowers and barrels over the years, and i've only had one upper receiver out of spec. The 1913 rail was slightly smaller than it should have been.

I emailed Noveske and Jason got back to be within an hour with a return address. I had a new one in my hand within three days I think.

For a guy wanting to keep his build all Noveske (might as well with that amazing barrel), it's nice to know you can't go wrong with anything from them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top