Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have faith in the barrel I jerked on the third shot

Nice jerk.

Go big or go home?  
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
16" 4150 SOCOM profile barrel with Federal Gold Match 69gr SMK.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]

2" dot
69gr win match
100yards off rest
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]

55gr Tula 100yards off rest
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my wifes first AR I just built her sporting a faxon 16" socom...I give a range report once we get it out.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Any update on the 11.5 special run barrels?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Any idea when these will be back in stock?                   http://faxonfirearms.com/18-medium-tapered-308-win-rifle-length-416-r-stainless-qpq/            Do they come with a dimple opposite the gas port?

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any idea when these will be back in stock?                   http://faxonfirearms.com/18-medium-tapered-308-win-rifle-length-416-r-stainless-qpq/            Do they come with a dimple opposite the gas port?    
View Quote

Faxon barrels don't have a dimple opposite the gas port. However, their gas blocks have cupped-point set screws which bite into the metal. Nathan mentioned that skipping this step in the manufacturing process is a cost-saving measure that is passed on to their customers.
So far, with a couple hundred rounds down two different barrels, I haven't had any issues with either.  

Having said that, my preference would be to have at least one dimple opposite the gas block.  Most low profile gas blocks on the market have a set screw directly opposite the gas port, regardless of the spacing between the other screws. A single dimple would make proper gas block alignment quicker and easier as well as add a little extra peace of mind.

But hey, with the accuracy these barrels deliver at their price-point, I'll live with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Faxon barrels don't have a dimple opposite the gas port. However, their gas blocks have cupped-point set screws which bite into the metal.
View Quote

I was not aware of that and bought a DD gas block for mine. It worked so far for one range trip but let's see if it holds for my carbine class tomorrow.

I am happy with my pencil barrel. Only tested out to 25 yards, but groups were good.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Faxon barrels don't have a dimple opposite the gas port. However, their gas blocks have cupped-point set screws which bite into the metal. Nathan mentioned that skipping this step in the manufacturing process is a cost-saving measure that is passed on to their customers.

So far, with a couple hundred rounds down two different barrels, I haven't had any issues with either.  

Having said that, my preference would be to have at least one dimple opposite the gas block.  Most low profile gas blocks on the market have a set screw directly opposite the gas port, regardless of the spacing between the other screws. A single dimple would make proper gas block alignment quicker and easier as well as add a little extra peace of mind.

But hey, with the accuracy these barrels deliver at their price-point, I'll live with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
So what they're saying is that because of the design of the set screws you don't necessarily need to put dimples on the barrel first. Am I right?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So what they're saying is that because of the design of the set screws you don't necessarily need to put dimples on the barrel first. Am I right?
View Quote

Correct.  And because most low profile gas block are protected by the handguard, the likelihood of them getting hit and knocked out of position is basically non-existent.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered a 16" .308 barrel from Rainier for a Matrix Arms build.  I'm very excited to see how it performs.

Nathan, I've been intrigued by your ARAK bolts for some time.  I understand that they're proprietary and not compatible with AR-pattern rifles.  Has there been any thoughts regarding making your own AR bolts (possibly with ARAK dual ejectors) and selling headspaced bolt + barrel sets?  I for one would like the comfort of knowing that my setup is within spec (even though I ought to just shell out for headspace gauges).

Also, I see discussion regarding 6.5 Grendel barrels.  I know that 6.5 Creedmoor is a bit of a niche round, but it seems like it would be a short lift to chamber for two common 6.5mm rounds.  Is a 6.5CM on the radar?

(Look at me giving a busy guy more work to do...)

Thanks for your time.  I'll post range reports/pictures when my build is done.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I finally found my load. five shot at 100 yards 69 grain Barnes match 24gr blc-2 oal 2.26

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Any info on the Flame barrel?

What do those flutes do performance wise?

What was the thought process behind this design?

Not alot of feedback on Google.

I suspect some may look at it and dismiss it as a gimmick.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine (16'' middy) shoots sub MOA with Gorilla and Federal 69gr and 75gr consistently FWIW.   Can't complain about that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mine (16'' middy) shoots sub MOA with Gorilla and Federal 69gr and 75gr consistently FWIW.   Can't complain about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There we go...thanks brother.

Have you made a video on it? Thought I'd seen all your stuff?...

What do these flutes do performance wise?

Is the way their cut, do anything for the barrel? Does it help with heat? More rigidity?

Hard to find info on it...google fu doesn't turn up much. I only own one rifle so it makes sense to be able to fill any roll under the sun. Being nitrided seems like a huge plus if I have need of running hard for a bit.

Precision when needed...you get the idea.

A do it all barrel with the ubiquitous tradeoffs....

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is the way their cut, do anything for the barrel? Does it help with heat? More rigidity?

Hard to find info on it...google fu doesn't turn up much. I only own one rifle so it makes sense to be able to fill any roll under the sun. Being nitrided seems like a huge plus if I have need of running hard for a bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not yet but it's been in 3 or 4 videos that are public currently.      For the details on the flutes I'm sure Nate will be along to go into detail on that which I'll gladly let him do as he's privy to all the research that I'm not.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Well the vids are far and few between, lol. And not much content.

Be that as it may, thanks again for your reply.

Figured Nathan would be here by now...ah well. I need to work on my patience anyway.

Really enjoy your stuff, BTW. Nice down to earth feel to them. Comes across as very authentic and humble. The everyman folks can easily relate to.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I found one. On sale till tonight. May just go for it.

Nate to the information desk please.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Just ordered my 18" Gunner.
Only 5 left as of now, get them while you can!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone know what the average time is from order to shipping on an in stock item?

I've been tasked with building a rifle for a friend but he is PCSing in about two weeks and wants to be able to shoot it before he goes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone know what the average time is from order to shipping on an in stock item?

I've been tasked with building a rifle for a friend but he is PCSing in about two weeks and wants to be able to shoot it before he goes.
View Quote

My last barrel took about 4 days between being ordered to being shipped.  Another was probably right at a week.  Then, of course, you're at the mercy of the shipper.  
I think your best bet would be to contact Nathan and see if he could "expedite" the process a little...at least to make sure it gets out their door in a timely manner.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks! I'll shoot him a PM when I have a moment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm considering the midlength pencil and a steady diet of 55gr.  Will it group them tightly, or does it only like 69gr.?
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm considering the midlength pencil and a steady diet of 55gr.  Will it group them tightly, or does it only like 69gr.?
View Quote

Mine groups 55's just as tight as 69's at 100 yds. The 1/8 is a great twist, I think Faxon has it figured out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey guys! This is Nathan from Faxon Firearms.

First, we sincerely apologize for the disruption of normal communication. As we always believe in open communication, our account was suspended by AR15.com staff after it was claimed we were advertising. While we disagree with this assessment, AR15.com is private property and we fully respect the staff's decision. Likewise, we would not want someone to tell us how to run our business.

We are on the waiting list to be a full advertiser, but until then our registered dealers (Recoil, AIM Surplus, and others) will step in to assist with questions. They will be in communication with us on difficult questions, so please do not hesitate to ask them anything as you would us. You may see them posting in the omnibus thread too!

We are active on many other forums and look forward to interacting with you all directly where we can and again here on AR15.com when we are able to advertise through the proper channels.

Thank you again and you guys can always reach me at [email protected]

I reached out to Nathan on another site and he asked if I would post this here for clarity on his absence here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Well damn... No wonder there hasn't been much communication around here lately.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey guys! This is Nathan from Faxon Firearms.

First, we sincerely apologize for the disruption of normal communication. As we always believe in open communication, our account was suspended by AR15.com staff after it was claimed we were advertising. While we disagree with this assessment, AR15.com is private property and we fully respect the staff's decision. Likewise, we would not want someone to tell us how to run our business.

We are on the waiting list to be a full advertiser, but until then our registered dealers (Recoil, AIM Surplus, and others) will step in to assist with questions. They will be in communication with us on difficult questions, so please do not hesitate to ask them anything as you would us. You may see them posting in the omnibus thread too!

We are active on many other forums and look forward to interacting with you all directly where we can and again here on AR15.com when we are able to advertise through the proper channels.

Thank you again and you guys can always reach me at [email protected]

I reached out to Nathan on another site and he asked if I would post this here for clarity on his absence here.
View Quote

Well damn...who do we have to "encourage" to get Faxon off the waiting list and into full advertiser status?  Because that needs to happen, like, yesterday.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  A quick note from site staff letting people know the account had been locked pending sponsor status would have been appreciated.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Agreed.  A quick note from site staff letting people know the account had been locked pending sponsor status would have been appreciated.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this is the reason I posted it up.

Shame on you AFRCOM.

A 30 plus page ongoing thread that is technical in nature should have been given a bit more respect.

I respect this site and their rules. Respect is a two way street.

Mini rant over.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I have been using Noveske and Wilson Combat barrels for years and now considering Faxon for my current 3 builds. Good information in the thread and thank you.
In.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#33]
It's been a while since I've been in this thread but I just got done doing a load workup for my 12.5'' pistol with the Faxon barrel.
looks like 26.1gr of H4895 with the 55gr VMAX will do the job, 5 shot group at 50 yards.
Of course I had to pull one

Pic of the pistol
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Anybody know what the torque value is for the set screws on a Faxon gas block?

Is there a particular sequence for tightening the screws? 1st -2nd -3rd?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I tighten them down 1-3-2, with "1" being the set-screw directly under the gas port. I typically start everything at 10 in/lbs and then remove 1 screw at a time, apply a drop of blue Loctite and tighten, in sequence, to 15, then 20, then 25. Never had a problem with this method.  

*Note - This is for a steel gas block with steel set-screws (like Faxon's).
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I tighten them down 1-3-2, with "1" being the set-screw directly under the gas port. I typically start everything at 10 in/lbs and then remove 1 screw at a time, apply a drop of blue Loctite and tighten, in sequence, to 15, then 20, then 25. Never had a problem with this method.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Repairman!

At the same time I posted here, I also posted on a site where Nathan can be reached. You answered first.

He replied a short while ago. His response is copy/pasted below for the general information pool.

"Formally, we have not set one. Our instructions are as follows (with our barrels).

1. Mount block to the barrel and align the gas tube with one screw lightly tightened.
-Cycle the bolt carrier. If the gas block moves, your tube is not aligned. Repeat until aligned.
2. Once centered, coat each set screw with either Red LocTite or RockSett (or similar near-permanent thread locker).
3. Torque the set screws, in any order, to the maximum you can apply without feeling like you will break the hex key.

This process will cause each screw's cupped tip to "bite" into the Nitrided steel exterior, and when coupled with the appropriate thread-locker, is a near-permanent solution. We've not had an issue on any rifles through their service life with this set-up."
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm interested in a 16" mid-length Faxon barrel for a disspator build, and noticed that both AIM and Faxon are out of stock. Anyone have any idea when more will be available?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm interested in a 16" mid-length Faxon barrel for a disspator build, and noticed that both AIM and Faxon are out of stock. Anyone have any idea when more will be available?
View Quote

Try Recoil Gunworks - http://www.recoilgunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=faxon&OBNsid=4765c8454c237231a2d3a0020a4cefbe&x=0&y=0
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks, Repairman_Jack!

Actually, I found one via Brownells and ordered it today. Looking forward to putting this together!
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Aimless,
Not to side track things to much but is there a cap on the number of vendors/dealers/component/complete rifle manufactures you guys allow?  A few vendors have eluded to being on a wait list to with the site staff before they can get approval to purchase some level of Industry Partner status but I've never understood why AR15.com would do that to anyone in the industry if they have a reputable track record or are new to the industry but have demonstrated the ability to bring quality/innovative products to the market.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#43]
We are on the waiting list to be a full advertiser
View Quote

There is a waiting list to be an advertiser?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#44]
My Faxon 14.5'' barrel just showed up, waiting on a few more parts before it's built. I'll post up some targets after it's built and after I do a load workup for it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
you want to buy him a dealership I'll need a credit card number  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this is the reason I posted it up.

Shame on you AFRCOM.

A 30 plus page ongoing thread that is technical in nature should have been given a bit more respect.

I respect this site and their rules. Respect is a two way street.

Mini rant over.
you want to buy him a dealership I'll need a credit card number  

Just a simple note in the thread explaining arf's position would have been helpful in an ongoing thread that was technical in nature.

Instead we got crickets.

Not the end of the world, of course.

Pretty please, with sugar on top...a heads up next time? That's all.

Hope it gets worked out to everyone's mutual benefit. Soon would be nice..lol

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Just got a shipping notification on my 11.5" Gunner barrel from the group buy!  

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Eta on the 16" 308 barrels?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I am waiting on a medium heavy 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Just ordered an 18" mid length with pinned block from AIM...stoked!
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Do the faxon barrels at AIM have the gas block pinned or is it just included in the box with the barrel?
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top