Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 26
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot my 18" rifle gas Faxon today. 50m, 1x BSA red dot, m855 bulk

Yeah, I think it shoots better than me.  Time for a better optic and trigger.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shot my 18" rifle gas Faxon today. 50m, 1x BSA red dot, m855 bulk
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/148771_1113362192013605_7707045187593519315_n.jpg?oh=343039ad2abc1cfb65bc16d1967924c9&oe=5631DB4F

Yeah, I think it shoots better than me.  Time for a better optic and trigger.
View Quote

And better ammo
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And better ammo
View Quote

Hand loads and components are at the farm.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And better ammo

Should tighten up nicely.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#5]
plans for 12.5" 7.62x39 barrels? id settle for a 16" carbine gas 7.62x39 barrel in stainless. I inquired a while back but you guys got real busy. also interested in a pencil profile 16" or 14.5" 5.56 barrel that has a long enough gas block journal for pinning an FSB. I bought a daniel defense .625 FSB a while back and its sitting....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
plans for 12.5" 7.62x39 barrels? id settle for a 16" carbine gas 7.62x39 barrel in stainless. I inquired a while back but you guys got real busy. also interested in a pencil profile 16" or 14.5" 5.56 barrel that has a long enough gas block journal for pinning an FSB. I bought a daniel defense .625 FSB a while back and its sitting....
View Quote

-Yes, but not in the near future. Too many popular SKUs right now and we spending the time to get caught up prior to new offerings.
-You will rather like the 7.62x39 FLAME fluted barrel. It should be live in the next week or two.
-The GUNNER profile barrels will be transitioned over time to a longer gas journal. Current offerings are 1.1". No ETA, but as the old barrels sell through, we will make the next batch to the new spec. Pencil barrels will stay a 1.1" journal as we do not want to add any weight to them.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Made it to the range this weekend.  

Temps were right around 89 degrees and by the time I got scope tuned in with M80 ball ammo, I was too hot and tired to put together any really decent groups with match ammo.  
On top of that, I was tuning the gas on the gas block as well.  Long story longer...too many distractions to really provide an accurate report as to this rifle's full capability.  
This is my first .308 AR build, so there's the whole acclimatization to shooting a heavier caliber rifle as well.  
Rough guess is my best was right around 1.5 - 2 MOA @ 100yds but it was definitely the Indian, not the arrow.  I'd have two or three touching and then start horizontally stringing.  

Faxon 18" .308 - Medium-Taper, Mid-Length, 4150 QPQ
Precision Armament M-11 Heavy Duty Muzzle Brake
SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block
Aero M5E1 Upper
Aero M5 Complete Lower
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
AIM Surplus Black Nitride .308 BCG
AXTS Raptor 7.62 Charging Handle
Magpul ACS-L Stock
Millett TRS-1 4x16 Scope
Burris PEPR QD Mount

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Made it to the range this weekend.  

Temps were right around 89 degrees and by the time I got scope tuned in with M80 ball ammo, I was too hot and tired to put together any really decent groups with match ammo.  
On top of that, I was tuning the gas on the gas block as well.  Long story longer...too many distractions to really provide an accurate report as to this rifle's full capability.  
This is my first .308 AR build, so there's the whole acclimatization to shooting a heavier caliber rifle as well.  
Rough guess is my best was right around 1.5 - 2 MOA @ 100yds but it was definitely the Indian, not the arrow.  I'd have two or three touching and then start horizontally stringing.  

Faxon 18" .308 - Medium-Taper, Mid-Length, 4150 QPQ
Precision Armament M-11 Heavy Duty Muzzle Brake
SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block
Aero M5E1 Upper
Aero M5 Complete Lower
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
AIM Surplus Black Nitride .308 BCG
AXTS Raptor 7.62 Charging Handle
Magpul ACS-L Stock
Millett TRS-1 4x16 Scope
Burris PEPR QD Mount

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy90/whoisRepairmanJack/Arfcom/IMG_1114_Edit_zpswgficwmz.jpg

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy90/whoisRepairmanJack/Arfcom/IMG_1116_Edit_zpsrzb971rb.jpg
View Quote

Now THAT is a good looking rifle.

Thanks for sharing and let us know how it runs when you are not hot and tired!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:27:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

-Yes, but not in the near future. Too many popular SKUs right now and we spending the time to get caught up prior to new offerings.
-You will rather like the 7.62x39 FLAME fluted barrel. It should be live in the next week or two.
-The GUNNER profile barrels will be transitioned over time to a longer gas journal. Current offerings are 1.1". No ETA, but as the old barrels sell through, we will make the next batch to the new spec. Pencil barrels will stay a 1.1" journal as we do not want to add any weight to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ill try to hold out for the 12.5" 7.62s a little longer, trying to get a barrel to run suppressed on my SBR. got a 10" barrel now with a tucked brake with a less favorable twist rate. want to keep my 11" handguard but have the barrel stick out long enough for my specwar brake.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ill try to hold out for the 12.5" 7.62s a little longer, trying to get a barrel to run suppressed on my SBR. got a 10" barrel now with a tucked brake with a less favorable twist rate. want to keep my 11" handguard but have the barrel stick out long enough for my specwar brake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do not have plans for that length for some time. Sorry!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Nathan -

Any update on when the Flame Fluted barrels will be shipping to vendors?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#12]

reply to above (sorry it didn't quote right)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you considered buying their 16" and have it cut and threaded?   (about $65 where I'm at.  class3machining.com )

For what it's worth, we have 3 of the 10.5" 7.62x39 in my circle of friends and love them.  Really nice accurate barrels.  

We have 5 of the 5.56 10.5's, 1 16" fluted heavy, and 1 16" pencil.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nathan -

View Quote

Already did a couple days ago. They will be arriving shortly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nathan -

Awesome. Thank you Nathan.

Now I can start my second build.

I just swapped in my 16" Pencil yesterday on my first build. I will shoot that barrel next week.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Faxon any recommendations for 7.62x39 bolt or bcg for once I get ahold of one of your 7.62x39 flame barrels??
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Nathan, any Fourth of July sales we can look forward to (crossing fingers) ??
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Faxon any recommendations for 7.62x39 bolt or bcg for once I get ahold of one of your 7.62x39 flame barrels??
View Quote

Just make sure you pick one up from a good brand (as the lugs are smaller you will want to ensure the provinence of the bolt is good) using standard AR-15 bolt face depth.

AIM's works and so does MGI's. Other brands have as well, but cant remember them off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hope you signed up for our newsletter which goes out today.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just did. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here

Just went out. 5% off the entire website through Monday!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#22]
After silver solder welding my 14.5 onto my gun and drilling out my MicroMoa gas plates to the suppressed and unsuppresed setting, I am afraid to report that my chamber has a burr in it and is splitting cases.. I have only taken ~10 shots with it to get my settings. I don't plan on shooting it more any time soon. Seems unsafe as hell. This sucks.

My muzzle device is welded
My gas port plates are drilled (to a burr'd barrel, most likely drilled too big, they were higher than others report)
I torqed my Govnah gas block on pretty tight with rocksett
I had a range trip tomorrow (bday the 4th)

It is at the bottom right. About 5 o clock. Very clear in person. This was the best pic I could get..
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After silver solder welding my 14.5 onto my gun and drilling out my MicroMoa gas plates to the suppressed and unsuppresed setting, I am afraid to report that my chamber has a burr in it and is splitting cases.. I have only taken ~10 shots with it to get my settings. I don't plan on shooting it more any time soon. Seems unsafe as hell. This sucks.

My gas port plates are drilled (to a burr'd barrel, most likely drilled too big, they were higher than others report)

http://i.imgur.com/HOakhfw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YHlvPgp.jpg

It is at the bottom right. About 5 o clock. Very clear in person. This was the best pic I could get..
View Quote

I would think a burr that far back would have an effect on the entire case. Split necks seems like something else....and the fact it looks like wolf ammo, not that surprising.

What happens when you try decent brass ammo? Hint.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would think a burr that far back would have an effect on the entire case. Split necks seems like something else....and the fact it looks like wolf ammo, not that surprising.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/HOakhfw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YHlvPgp.jpg

I guess I will try brass.

But I can clearly see a burr in the chamber and my casings are getting scratched in the same spot.

Either way, I have never had this problem.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry i didn't mean to imply there isn't a burr; one is clearly visible. But those are pretty easy to deal with. Bore mop, little jb bore bright paste....job done.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry i didn't mean to imply there isn't a burr; one is clearly visible. But those are pretty easy to deal with. Bore mop, little jb bore bright paste....job done.
View Quote

While you shouldn't have to polish the chamber on a new barrel from a quality manufacture, given that you already made mods to make it nfa compliant that can't be re dressed without damage, it sounds like it's time to ream the chamber to verify that it's in spec and then polish.  You could just polish if it head spaces without issue.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

While you shouldn't have to polish the chamber on a new barrel from a quality manufacture, given that you already made mods to make it nfa compliant that can't be re dressed without damage, it sounds like it's time to ream the chamber to verify that it's in spec and then polish.  You could just polish if it head spaces without issue.

Wes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wes

Looking at the cases, it is highly unlikely there is a burr in the chamber. With the consistent scratch getting bigger, it is likely the case dragging on the extension during the ejection phase of cycle.

(Technical note- Chamber reamers are rotated at high RPM during chambering, creating a perfectly concentric chamber, as the largest cutter always sets the diameter. For a burr to appear like that, a chamber reamer has to mechanically fail. We have not had any do so, ever, and monitor them very closely).

We'd recommend taking some spend casings, marking it, putting in the chamber, and ejecting manually. If the marks line up with the case scratches, you have a fantastically powerful ejector spring.

This is very common with steel-cased ammunition, which is softer and shows these marks much more so than brass.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#28]
These are great barrels. I have a 16" Gov't/Socom, 5.56 and its pretty damn accurate. the fit and finish is great.

If you are on the fence about buying one don't hesitate. You'd be hard pressed to find a better barrel for the price.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Looking at the cases, it is highly unlikely there is a burr in the chamber. With the consistent scratch getting bigger, it is likely the case dragging on the extension during the ejection phase of cycle.

(Technical note- Chamber reamers are rotated at high RPM during chambering, creating a perfectly concentric chamber, as the largest cutter always sets the diameter. For a burr to appear like that, a chamber reamer has to mechanically fail. We have not had any do so, ever, and monitor them very closely).

We'd recommend taking some spend casings, marking it, putting in the chamber, and ejecting manually. If the marks line up with the case scratches, you have a fantastically powerful ejector spring.

This is very common with steel-cased ammunition, which is softer and shows these marks much more so than brass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wes

Your explanation makes sense, but I've seen some odd crap in the last year, including one rifle from SIG that exhibited a similar appearing scar on the cases along with feeding issues.  First step from Sig repair shop was to drop in a chamber gauge in, then chamber reamer...took care of the scars on the case necks.  They speculated that a minor burr was left at the edge of the chamber if the tooling/stock moved ever so slightly during manufacture as the reamer was removed from the barrel chamber.  Actual feeding issue ended up being an a slightly undersized gas port leading to short stroking.  Not sure how your manufacturing process works compared to Sig's but I have no doubt the great folks at Foxon will get this squared away for "ArmedFerret" if anything is needed.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your explanation makes sense, but I've seen some odd crap in the last year, including one rifle from SIG that exhibited a similar appearing scar on the cases along with feeding issues.  First step from Sig repair shop was to drop in a chamber gauge in, then chamber reamer...took care of the scars on the case necks.  They speculated that a minor burr was left at the edge of the chamber if the tooling/stock moved ever so slightly during manufacture as the reamer was removed from the barrel chamber.  Actual feeding issue ended up being an a slightly undersized gas port leading to short stroking.  Not sure how your manufacturing process works compared to Sig's but I have no doubt the great folks at Foxon will get this squared away for "joshv06" if anything is needed.

Wes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wes

Your explanation makes sense, but I've seen some odd crap in the last year, including one rifle from SIG that exhibited a similar appearing scar on the cases along with feeding issues.  First step from Sig repair shop was to drop in a chamber gauge in, then chamber reamer...took care of the scars on the case necks.  They speculated that a minor burr was left at the edge of the chamber if the tooling/stock moved ever so slightly during manufacture as the reamer was removed from the barrel chamber.  Actual feeding issue ended up being an a slightly undersized gas port leading to short stroking.  Not sure how your manufacturing process works compared to Sig's but I have no doubt the great folks at Foxon will get this squared away for "joshv06" if anything is needed.

Wes

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks...got lost in the page change.

Either user will get excellent customer support from Foxon.  Their detailed test for an excessive ejector spring pressure was a great example.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks...got lost in the page change.

Either user will get excellent customer support from Foxon.  Their detailed test for an excessive ejector spring pressure was a great example.

Wes
View Quote

It may not be "excessive" per-se, just strong enough to make steel cased rotate into the extension during ejection.

Again, this is common. The key is the barrel feeds and ejects normally. If so, this is good for steel cased (which you can't reload anyways).
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If so, this is good for steel cased (which you can't reload anyways).
View Quote

LOL...You forgot you are at AR15.com...land of maximizing every dollar and making things work when others say it can't be done:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=419342

Lots more with google.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone have one of the 10.5" 300 BO barrels?  The site lists .075 for a gas port size which seems undergassed for this length.  I am having cycling issues I can't figure out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone have one of the 10.5" 300 BO barrels?  The site lists .075 for a gas port size which seems undergassed for this length.  I am having cycling issues I can't figure out.
View Quote

If you are having issues, please send me an email. Well get it sorted in no time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Weird how the painted casing has 2 perfectly similar lines (from inside of the barrel extension. But the one fired has one tear.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/Ii5EfRy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HOakhfw.jpg]http://i.imgur.com/HOakhfw.jpg]http://i.imgur.com/HOakhfw.jpg

Weird how the painted casing has 2 perfectly similar lines (from inside of the barrel extension. But the one fired has one tear.
View Quote

Common with the angle it is ejected at.

If you have any further troubleshooting, please send us a PM/e-mail. We enjoy helping customers, but will try to keep this thread for questions on products, etc.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:26:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Agreed. I will take some more shots with it and check each casing.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Question, I have 2 of your 18" 308 barrels bought both from recoil gun works, one is the heavy profile silver one, the other is an all black medium profile barrel.  I shoot 168 grain projectiles out of them.  The heavy silver barrel is much more accurate than the medium one I am using now.  Only reason I switched them out was for the weight difference. one is 416 and the other is 4150, is this the reason for the accuracy issue I'm having?  Not trying to bitch about it but this new barrel is all over the board at 100 while my other shoots sub moa, think I'm going to switch back to my old one due to the accuracy issue.  I'm using hand loads, lapua brass, cci primers and 42.3 grains of imr 4064 with 168 smk's, here's the link to the two 18" ones I'm using, I'm not using the 18" fluted, I wanted the 20" medium but they were out of stock when I ordered my last one

http://www.recoilgunworks.com/barrels-c-107_138.html
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#40]
The barrel doesn't shoot a given individual handload recipe well, and you haven't tried other recipes?

Hint there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Question, I have 2 of your 18" 308 barrels bought both from recoil gun works, one is the heavy profile silver one, the other is an all black medium profile barrel.  I shoot 168 grain projectiles out of them.  The heavy silver barrel is much more accurate than the medium one I am using now.  Only reason I switched them out was for the weight difference. one is 416 and the other is 4150, is this the reason for the accuracy issue I'm having?  Not trying to bitch about it but this new barrel is all over the board at 100 while my other shoots sub moa, think I'm going to switch back to my old one due to the accuracy issue.  I'm using hand loads, lapua brass, cci primers and 42.3 grains of imr 4064 with 168 smk's, here's the link to the two 18" ones I'm using, I'm not using the 18" fluted, I wanted the 20" medium but they were out of stock when I ordered my last one

http://www.recoilgunworks.com/barrels-c-107_138.html
View Quote

A pleasure to hear from you and very sorry to hear of any issues. We are here to make sure you are squared away. Please send an e-mail to our customer support team and we can assist with troubleshooting.

Despite the other poster's sarcasm, his intention is correct in that barrels will typically have a preference based on a multitude of factors. When you e-mail us, please let us know what loadings, outside your primary one, have been tested in the barrel.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad to hear you are good to go and it was a spring/buffer issue!
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The barrel doesn't shoot a given individual handload recipe well, and you haven't tried other recipes?

Hint there.
View Quote

I've shot south African, Winchester softpoints and Port out of it as well with the same results but didn't count those in due to them being mass produced and nato ammo.  Again im not bitching about it, but my groups are about 3" at 100 with all mentioned above, as well as my handloads in which everything is measured to the t.  I know 3" at 100 is very acceptable, but my question was in comparison to the two barrels with the different steel structure, hell if I had a 2 moa aimpoint on the rifle and 3" groups were what I was running I wouldn't have even asked the question at all.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've shot south African, Winchester softpoints and Port out of it as well with the same results but didn't count those in due to them being mass produced and nato ammo.  Again im not bitching about it, but my groups are about 3" at 100 with all mentioned above, as well as my handloads in which everything is measured to the t.  I know 3" at 100 is very acceptable, but my question was in comparison to the two barrels with the different steel structure, hell if I had a 2 moa aimpoint on the rifle and 3" groups were what I was running I wouldn't have even asked the question at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hint there.

Sir,

Per our earlier reply, please send an e-mail and we will assist with troubleshooting. [email protected]

When you e-mail, any additional information you can supply on what you have done with it will be valuable in troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still having the issue, no change after the buffer/spring swap out.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops. Confused with another customer.

Please e-mail us and we will be happy to assist.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I chrono'd my Faxon 14.5" today (with SilencerCo Saker 762).

3000 FPS with Wolf

I took off the 2 highs and averaged out the once that were close to each other. 91 degrees in Houston Texas.

Not bad! I was predicting ~2875fps. My 16" middy from Voodoo was getting ~2960fps on average, but then again, I had 1500 shots through that and it was 416R Melonited.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#48]
faxon 18" govt profile ordered 12/10/14
100yards 4x scope shot off my bag
hornady 55gr bt with 25gr ramshot tac powder
12xscope on order to see if I can do better

I have faith in the barrel I jerked on the third shot
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have faith in the barrel I jerked on the third shot
View Quote

Nice jerk.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#50]
palmetto mil spec trigger sucks
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top