BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do the faxon barrels at AIM have the gas block pinned or is it just included in the box with the barrel?
View Quote

Here bud I took a up close pic of the block, it's just a simple roll pin with 2 set screws nothing permanent. mine was not installed when I got it, but if it was it would have been a 30 sec job to remove it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I see that the 11.5 'gunner' barrels are available.

A couple of questions:

Does anybody have one?

Any idea if it will run with an adams arms piston kit?

Can you measure the shoulder to the start of the threads?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A couple of questions:

Does anybody have one?

Thanks!

View Quote

I have one, tax stamp came through this morning so I'll complete the build this week but won't be able to shoot it for two weekends (11/21) due to work and football schedules .

I've got a Syrac Ordinance adjustable gas block but not the piston kit...  Can get some measurements for you within a day or two if nobody comes through before then.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Nominally 1.5", let me know if you need something more exact.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have one, tax stamp came through this morning so I'll complete the build this week but won't be able to shoot it for two weekends (11/21) due to work and football schedules .

I've got a Syrac Ordinance adjustable gas block but not the piston kit...  Can get some measurements for you within a day or two if nobody comes through before then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of questions:

Does anybody have one?

Thanks!

Love to see some pictures of the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I just received a Faxon barrel.  Looks great, but I do have a question/concern.  I've read about issues where the barrel extensions have been coming loose when the entire barrel assembly is nitride at the same time.

Looking over my barrel, it looks like the entire barrel is nitride at the same time?  The barrel extension is black in color, just like the barrel.  Or am I wrong in this matter?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just received a Faxon barrel.  Looks great, but I do have a question/concern.  I've read about issues where the barrel extensions have been coming loose when the entire barrel assembly is nitride at the same time.

Looking over my barrel, it looks like the entire barrel is nitride at the same time?  The barrel extension is black in color, just like the barrel.  Or am I wrong in this matter?
View Quote

Hmm that's odd, on both of my Faxon barrels the extensions were not nitrided. contact Nathan at Faxon and ask him if it's suppose to be nitrided.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmm that's odd, on both of my Faxon barrels the extensions were not nitrided. contact Nathan at Faxon and ask him if it's suppose to be nitrided.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks just like this

i hope they are not cutting corners due to popularity and demand.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#9]
My Gunner 11.5" extension is black, my 10.5" 300blk is not.

Both fit just fine into uppers.  Will add pictures of 11.5" hopefully tonight.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I recall reading somewhere they nitrate the extensions separately.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I recall reading somewhere they nitrate the extensions separately.
View Quote

This is news to me,  my last Faxon barrel I bought 2-3 weeks ago didn't have a nitrided extension.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Double tap
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not the fit that concerns me.  It's the extension coming loose.....
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

call Nathan at Faxon, normally he would answer your question's here in this thread, but since they don't have a dealer account on arfcom his account was axed.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

call Nathan at Faxon, normally he would answer your question's here in this thread, but since they don't have a dealer account on arfcom his account was axed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 11.5" Gunner barrel had a nitrided extension.  I e-mailed him yesterday asking if this was correct and, if so, were they nitrided separately and then torqued to spec.  
Any info I get I will share here.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I emailed Nathan as told. Didnt know who Nathan you all were referring to originally......

Anyways, he's stated the extensions are NOT nitride. Its actually black oxide. They did this so its "matches aesthetically,  but also helps with wear and corrosion.".

Any issues like this in the past with other barrels using this method?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I emailed Nathan as told. Didnt know who Nathan you all were referring to originally......

Anyways, he's stated the extensions are NOT nitride. Its actually black oxide. They did this so its "matches aesthetically,  but also helps with wear and corrosion.".

Any issues like this in the past with other barrels using this method?
View Quote

Nice, I knew there had to be a reasonable explanation.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Left is 11.5" gunner, shown in my first SBR below.
Right is 10.5" 300blk destined for a pistol.

Sorry, the preview looks fuzzy... Too late to take another now.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Left is 11.5" gunner, shown in my first SBR below.
Right is 10.5" 300blk destined for a pistol.
http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p763/marbsy/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-11/C3529E66-C1F4-41BF-8EF2-3DE4FF1C4C59_zpscpxegqah.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p763/marbsy/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-11/4C198396-69B5-49BB-8E82-3FB3B259B421_zps2xygctpf.jpg

Sorry, the preview looks fuzzy... Too late to take another now.
View Quote

Good lookin SBR bud, is that a LWRC stock?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Yup, LWRC.  Not the lightest stock out there but pretty compact.  Just assembled today, hope to shoot next weekend.  So far it feels pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#21]
does the pencil have any heat issues?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
does the pencil have any heat issues?
View Quote

as with any barrel, groups *DO* open up a bit when hot, but it doesn't "keep going" as it heats up.  tends to open up by about 2-3 MOA over whatever you're shooting normally, and then stays there.  i haven't made mine get glowing hot or anything, but i've gotten it pretty damn toasty.  tends to stay pretty consistent, which is actually ideal.  groups opening is to be expected with any barrel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Nevermind.....was on wrong page and thought question was new.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally got my barrel back from Morgan (eastTXhunter) a few days ago, was 14.7'' now it's been chopped to 13.8'' and it's sporting a pinned B.E Meyers 249f.

I'm doing a load workup for it next week hopefully, using Nosler 77gr and Hornady 75gr HPBT. I'll post target pics when I do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#26]
No pics loaded up yet, but....

Using a H1 2MOA dot with Nosler Defense .223 64grn through a Flame barrel at 100 yards,

I fired off a 12 shot group with an extreme spread of 2.5 in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
New Faxon  -16" Gov't / Socom with FRONT SIGHT BASE, 5.56 NATO, Mid-Length, 4150 QPQ - $249.00 -   http://faxonfirearms.com/16-govt-socom-with-front-sight-base-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

15% off posted price with Promo Code  RetroIsBestThisXMAS

"F" Front Sight Marked Base w/ Bayonet Lug
   Installed Front Sight Post
   Barrel Nut
   Handguard Cap (Round)
   Barrel Nut Slip Ring
   Barrel Nut Slip Ring Spring
   Barrel Nut Slip Ring Spring Retention Clip
   Note - Does NOT include Slip Loop or Rivet

All added parts are a Manganese Phosphate finish.

Barrel Material: 4150
   Barrel Type: Button Rifled
   Barrel Caliber: 5.56 NATO
   Barrel Twist: 1:8
   Barrel Length: 16"
   Barrel Profile: Gov't/SOCOM with "F" Marked Front Sight Base
   Barrel Gas System: Mid Length
   Inside Finish: QPQ Nitride
   Outside Finish: QPQ Nitride
   Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
   Gas Block Diameter: .750"
   Gas Port Diameter: .081"
   Gas Block Journal Length: 1.9"
   Barrel Extension: M4
   Weight: 2.04 lbs w/ Front Sight Base & Barrel Nut
   Magnetic Particle Inspected!
   11-degree Target Crown
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad to see you guys are back and got a slot.

Also looking forward to hopefully seeing your 6.5G barrels. If that GB ever takes off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We're BaaaaaaAAAAAACK!

We also appreciate AR15.com's team for opening an Industry Partner slot for the Faxon team.

Our intent is to be here for good.

Fire away with any questions!
View Quote

Welcome back Nathan!  

I do have a question - Any plans in the works for a spiral-fluted barrel?  

I've got a buddy I've infected with Black Rifle Disease and he's wanting to build a .308 AR with a spiral-flute (I know, I know...different strokes for different folks). I'm trying to nudge him into one of your straight or flame fluted versions, but ultimately it's his decision and I don't want him to have any regrets. My .308 Faxon has been awesome, and I know he'll be happy with the quality.

FYI - Finally got to take the 11.5" Gunner build to the range just this last weekend. Only got 20rds of PMC Bronze through it (we were dialing in some other rifles and it was windy and cold as a well-diggers ass), but absolutely no feeding or extraction problems with the lower-powered ammo. Ejection was right at 3:00, so I may have to run a heavier buffer on hotter loads. That'll be for a later trip.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#33]
What kind of accuracy are people getting from the 20" Gunner barrels?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Soon... Very soon to production. 6-8 weeks after that.

Any request for the first length and profile? We're still up in the air on that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad to see you guys are back and got a slot.

Also looking forward to hopefully seeing your 6.5G barrels. If that GB ever takes off.

Soon... Very soon to production. 6-8 weeks after that.

Any request for the first length and profile? We're still up in the air on that one.

18" on length with a mid to light weight profile would be my request.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Faxon,
Any new offerings coming in an 18" 5.56 or 223 Wylde barrel in QPQ Nitrided 4150 steel? If not, when will the 18" Gunner and Socom profiles be back in stock. I would prefer a mid length gas system.

PS, Is O.D. of the 18" 5.56 Socom barrel thinner before the gas port area than after the gas port area? If so, can you explain what that profile is supposed to achieve?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We do not formally quote or guarantee accuracy due the myriad of factors outside the control of the barrel. Those factors can include upper receiver quality, head-spacing, optics, trigger, shooter, etc. As engineers, we do guarantee that the bore is free from defects and is .0002" or better in terms of concentricity down the bore. This is mechanically capable of excellent accuracy.

That said, we can say two things.

1.) That we offer a satisfaction guarantee on the barrels.
2.) Many OEMs do guarantee accuracy from their weapons using our barrels.

We encourage customers to see the various testing in this thread and others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of accuracy are people getting from the 20" Gunner barrels?

We do not formally quote or guarantee accuracy due the myriad of factors outside the control of the barrel. Those factors can include upper receiver quality, head-spacing, optics, trigger, shooter, etc. As engineers, we do guarantee that the bore is free from defects and is .0002" or better in terms of concentricity down the bore. This is mechanically capable of excellent accuracy.

That said, we can say two things.

1.) That we offer a satisfaction guarantee on the barrels.
2.) Many OEMs do guarantee accuracy from their weapons using our barrels.

We encourage customers to see the various testing in this thread and others.

Thanks. I know manufacturers don't always guarantee accuracy but I was also curious about what Arfcommers who have used your barrels are getting. I didn't buy your barrel as a dirt blaster and like to wring whatever accuracy I can out of my firearms.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Shared on TOS, now here. I'm getting the hang of the program now.

Flame barrel    2MOA H1    .223 64grn. Nosler Defense  100 yards 12 shot group (lost count)

" />

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#40]
6.5 Creedmoor when
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You're not yelling loud enough, yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6.5 Creedmoor when

You're not yelling loud enough, yet.

6.5CM is the new hotness, just sayin'
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#43]
6.5 CREEDMOOR WHEN
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#45]
As in a 22 to 24 inch medium heavy rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I have the 16" gunner and the 11.5" big gunner.  I'd love to see some 6.8 SPCII barrels... you have to do a 16", but I'd also like to see a middy 12.5" or thereabouts in the same profile as the big gunner, for suppressed aplications.  Right now I don't think anybody makes a 6.8 barrel with a 0.625 gas block journal.  Same for 6.5 Grendel.  I think there is a lot of room to bring your light profile goodness to both markets.  Both are popular hunting cartridges, and I know I'm not the only hunter who likes a light, quick-pointing rifle for stalking.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#47]
16" pencil does about 2.5-3" with my shitty eyes and bulk 55-grain plinking loads (meaning powder charges aren't as consistent as they could be) and irons.

Maybe I'll toss the ss10x on it when i get home in the spring and test some 68 bthp just for the board.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Your eyes and irons with a pencil are better accuracy than the M16s I had back in the service. Bravo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
16" pencil does about 2.5-3" with my shitty eyes and bulk 55-grain plinking loads (meaning powder charges aren't as consistent as they could be) and irons.

Maybe I'll toss the ss10x on it when i get home in the spring and test some 68 bthp just for the board.

Your eyes and irons with a pencil are better accuracy than the M16s I had back in the service. Bravo!

Well, it may or may not have a super fancypants trigger.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Any plans for a 16" pencil .300 BLK barrel?
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top