Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 16" QPQ pencil barrel from Area53  just showed up

http://youtu.be/d0wu1aj3X4M

View Quote

it's uncanny isn't it?  

be a while before mine actually becomes a rifle, but i'll definitely post up here when it's done.  july timeframe possibly.  just a lot of other stuff on the docket before then....like replacing the fridge that lost its compressor last night.  

Dammit.  Didn't realize new page.  Here's a confirmation photo.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Listen, guy. I posted that because I thought it was "Pretty impressive" as I stated in my post. Not to get insulted by an overzealous barrel maker, or to give that barrel maker a bad name! Maybe I should have clarified in 5th grader terms exactly what I meant.....

I didn't search "Faxon" when I found that. So I wasn't looking for it. I simply saw it in the list, and clicked on it. When did the Army go to "Heavier Barrels"? Last I checked we were still using M4's with the Govt. profile barrels. The SAME profile barrels we've used for 25 years, or so!

By the way, I didn't ask any questions!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I posted this in the Recoil Gunworks forum. But it may get more traffic here.

It's a Faxon barrel! Pretty impressive if you ask me. I'd love to see a comparison of several different barrel manufacturers after a test like this..

https://youtu.be/BSizVpfqFtw

We always love it when people see that video, assuming they understand what they see.

We always see the question or a derivative of it, so we might as well answer "How would this do compared to CHF?"

In short, there would not be a significant difference between any manufacturer or method (CHF, Button, But, Broach) assuming the same material and profile. All methods, when they get this hot, will fail in the exact same manner, CHF construction or not. At the temperatures the barrel was at, CHF would actually stress-relieve itself (which is my few machine gun barrels are CHF, believe us - we make many of them for notable companies).

Its also notable that the barrel was a Gov't profile model in stainless steel. Yes, a heavier barrel and/or one in 4150 would have lasted longer (hence, again, why machine gun barrels are heavy and typical gun-barrel steel).

Other things we have heard and response:
1. No, Chrome-lined would not have lasted any longer. A lot of heat generated is from friction on top of the explosion. QPQ has lower friction and a thicker lining.
2. While we have not definitive tested it, a 4150 GBQ steel barrel would have lasted only marginally longer.
3. Outside temperature has relatively little to do with longevity under full auto conditions, as heat exhausts relative to the differences in temperatures. Past 1200 degrees, its only a few percent difference between freezing and 120 F, again, relatively speaking.
4. Yes, the gas tube would have failed if a) he reloaded quicker or b) had larger magazines. The gas tube was only designed to take the heat of 30 round magazines. Note that it got hotter faster and cooled faster.
5. The barrel failed exactly where we expected, at its thinnest point (which also happens to be the hottest portion of a barrel - about 3 inches in front of the chamber). Yes, Gov't profile is stupid for full-auto fire, which is why the Army went to heavier barrels.

We are more than happy to answer any other questions!

Listen, guy. I posted that because I thought it was "Pretty impressive" as I stated in my post. Not to get insulted by an overzealous barrel maker, or to give that barrel maker a bad name! Maybe I should have clarified in 5th grader terms exactly what I meant.....

I didn't search "Faxon" when I found that. So I wasn't looking for it. I simply saw it in the list, and clicked on it. When did the Army go to "Heavier Barrels"? Last I checked we were still using M4's with the Govt. profile barrels. The SAME profile barrels we've used for 25 years, or so!

Holy shit.  What is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Faxon barrel! Pretty impressive if you ask me. I'd love to see a comparison of several different barrel manufacturers after a test like this..

We always love it when people see that video, assuming they understand what they see.

We always see the question or a derivative of it, so we might as well answer "How would this do compared to CHF?"

In short, there would not be a significant difference between any manufacturer or method (CHF, Button, But, Broach) assuming the same material and profile. All methods, when they get this hot, will fail in the exact same manner, CHF construction or not. At the temperatures the barrel was at, CHF would actually stress-relieve itself (which is my few machine gun barrels are CHF, believe us - we make many of them for notable companies).

Its also notable that the barrel was a Gov't profile model in stainless steel. Yes, a heavier barrel and/or one in 4150 would have lasted longer (hence, again, why machine gun barrels are heavy and typical gun-barrel steel).

1. No, Chrome-lined would not have lasted any longer. A lot of heat generated is from friction on top of the explosion. QPQ has lower friction and a thicker lining.
2. While we have not definitive tested it, a 4150 GBQ steel barrel would have lasted only marginally longer.
3. Outside temperature has relatively little to do with longevity under full auto conditions, as heat exhausts relative to the differences in temperatures. Past 1200 degrees, its only a few percent difference between freezing and 120 F, again, relatively speaking.
4. Yes, the gas tube would have failed if a) he reloaded quicker or b) had larger magazines. The gas tube was only designed to take the heat of 30 round magazines. Note that it got hotter faster and cooled faster.
5. The barrel failed exactly where we expected, at its thinnest point (which also happens to be the hottest portion of a barrel - about 3 inches in front of the chamber). Yes, Gov't profile is stupid for full-auto fire, which is why the Army went to heavier barrels.

They actually allow you to have firearms?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys, It's Okay.

Bottom line, we phrased an email that could be read as (but certainly not meant) offensive, apologized (so did the other poster).

It's all past us and we are happy to field questions on barrels!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Still impatiently waiting on the 18" rifle length..... Is it bad I check AIM and faxon multiple times each day?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The irony of that question just made my day. Thanks for the laugh.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Guys, It's Okay.

Bottom line, we phrased an email that could be read as (but certainly not meant) offensive, apologized (so did the other poster).

View Quote

No you didn't.. You did do an exemplary job of handling an irrational response.

Can't wait for dem 11.5"
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can't wait for dem 11.5"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, It's Okay.

Can't wait for dem 11.5"

ARFCom will not allow us to run the group directly on ARFCom.

We are now evaluating an alternative solution. Will get back with you guys before the NRA show this weekend!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Faxon, I know you guys are said to be producing Grendel barrels soon. What are the chances of this barrel coming out along the way:

SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber(most important spec of the whole thing, no .264LBC/Grendel II chamber)

Headspaced for .135 bolt

11"

1:8 twist(1:7.5 would be preferred, but I can't actually find any 1:7.5 blanks being produced currently)

4150 QPQ

Under $225

I think these would sell faster than you could make them. Right now the only choices for Grendel shooters who want an SBR are a BHW barrel in 416 stainless(meh) with .264LBC chamber, or cutting down a $450+ Shilen/Bartlein/other barrel, and now that the Wolf Grendel is available, I don't really wanna push cheap bimetal rounds through my $450 barrel anyway.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We are now evaluating an alternative solution. Will get back with you guys before the NRA show this weekend!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, It's Okay.

Can't wait for dem 11.5"

That sound's great!  
I'm in for one...with your lo-pro gas block, if that's an option.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Faxon, I know you guys are said to be producing Grendel barrels soon. What are the chances of this barrel coming out along the way:

SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber(most important spec of the whole thing, no .264LBC/Grendel II chamber)
Headspaced for .135 bolt
11"
1:8 twist(1:7.5 would be preferred, but I can't actually find any 1:7.5 blanks being produced currently)
4150 QPQ
Under $225

I think these would sell faster than you could make them. Right now the only choices for Grendel shooters who want an SBR are a BHW barrel in 416 stainless(meh) with .264LBC chamber, or cutting down a $450+ Shilen/Bartlein/other barrel, and now that the Wolf Grendel is available, I don't really wanna push cheap bimetal rounds through my $450 barrel anyway.
View Quote

We will likely use the Grendel "II" chambering since it is capable of shooting Grendel itself. Same reason we choose 5.56 chambers over .223, compatibility.

No determination on the bolts at this point.

Our tooling is for 1/8 twist.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Nathan,

Any change on a 16" Midlength Heavy Barrel? I would like to do one with a standard front sight/gas block
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nathan,

Any change on a 16" Midlength Heavy Barrel? I would like to do one with a standard front sight/gas block
View Quote

No heavies in the short-term in that length. Sorry!

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm just ready for the 14.5 pencil contour
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those groups just make us all happy inside.

Yep! My ONLY wish is that the finish was the dull bead blasted stainless and not the shiny but I do realize that comes at a price and for the $99 I paid there are NO complaints what so ever.

We have some QPQ Black Nitrite stainless coming along here shortly.

This is our finished "Flame" barrel. Its a .740 outside contour with a variable-depth alternating flute.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBhedy6hGKM&feature=youtu.be

<a href="http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/NSSchueth/media/20141209_151019.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af268/NSSchueth/20141209_151019.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/NSSchueth/media/20141209_151036.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af268/NSSchueth/20141209_151036.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/NSSchueth/media/20141209_151225.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af268/NSSchueth/th_20141209_151225.jpg</a>

I'm just ready for the 14.5 pencil contour

Yes please.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#15]
If a gas block is purchased along with a barrel. Is it installed?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine came separately on my 16" barrel, so I don't believe so.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, as some barrel nuts do not fit over them.

They are a three-screw version, so they are very easy to align and install.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]
14.5 Mediums and PENCILS just arrived today from QPQ.

We will have them for sale at the NRA show in Nashville. It will be the ONLY place to buy the first ones until we get back on Monday.

Final weights TBD tomorrow morning. Shooting for sub 16 ozs.

See us at booth #2756 and mention my username here to receive a discount.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully someday you guys would consider drilling and pinning a lo pro and shipping it loose with the gas tube and
pin in a bag....
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hopefully someday you guys would consider drilling and pinning a lo pro and shipping it loose with the gas tube and
pin in a bag....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pin in a bag....

We do. They are available from AIM Surplus.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pin in a bag....

Well alright I gotta check that out.....thanks for the 411
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Now if only Aim Surplus would have an 18" Rifle gas barrel in stock......
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pin in a bag....

I'm interested in this too. Will AIM have the pre dimpled barrel labeled as such or is it a service I have to call and request? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm interested in this too. Will AIM have the pre dimpled barrel labeled as such or is it a service I have to call and request? Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pin in a bag....

They are cross drilled for a pin.

We do not dimple barrels.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We will likely use the Grendel "II" chambering since it is capable of shooting Grendel itself. Same reason we choose 5.56 chambers over .223, compatibility.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Headspaced for .135 bolt

11"

4150 QPQ

Under $225

Well, that'll be close enough. Is there a time frame for your 6.5 stuff to hit the market?

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Just opened the new Faxon email.  The 14.5 pencil weighs 1.1 pounds.  I was hoping for a pound even, or less.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just opened the new Faxon email.  The 14.5 pencil weighs 1.1 pounds.  I was hoping for a pound even, or less.
View Quote

I hope you'll be able to shoulder that extra 1.5 ounces.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you just sign up for there newsletter on their website? I signed up weeks ago and never received anything.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did you just sign up for there newsletter on their website? I signed up weeks ago and never received anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither.  
Signed up again last night and never received the "confirmation" e-mail, either.  (I did the first time)
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

firstworldproblems.jpg
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We will have them for sale at the NRA show in Nashville. It will be the ONLY place to buy the first ones until we get back on Monday.

View Quote

I'm ranting about this and my wife just doesn't understand, some nutjob in Nashville could get MY barrel...
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the heads up.  You have a new customer, I just ordered one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#34]
How does the new mid gas 14.5 pencil handle lower powered/low quality ammunition? Is it similar to what people are saying about the BCM 14.5 mid gas? I am wanting to holdout for the 16 mid gas pencil for the reliability but was wondering how the new 14.5. mids are doing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:58:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How does the new mid gas 14.5 pencil handle lower powered/low quality ammunition? Is it similar to what people are saying about the BCM 14.5 mid gas? I am wanting to holdout for the 16 mid gas pencil for the reliability but was wondering how the new 14.5. mids are doing.
View Quote

I don't know yet, but I'm going to find out...  
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just fine. Its the same hole diameter of our medium profile barrels which have not had a reported issue for hundreds deployed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm ranting about this and my wife just doesn't understand, some nutjob in Nashville could get MY barrel...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a quiet show. They will be on the website here shortly. We are shipping to dealers and others first and will have the balance available.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Week to week and a half.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any ETA on 18" rifle gas, Gov profiles being back in stock?

Week to week and a half.

Need the little 'whistler' emoticon....  Just kind of waiting for the 18" rifle, lol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Need the little 'whistler' emoticon....  Just kind of waiting for the 18" rifle, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Week to week and a half.

You and me both....
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You and me both....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Week to week and a half.

You and me both....

Just listed 8 barrels in stock.

Get em while they are hot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Week to week and a half.

You and me both....

Thanks for the update, Nathan.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Week to week and a half.

You and me both....

Does that mean that AIM Surplus will have them soon as well?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, hence why we will only have 8. The rest are going to dealers and distributors.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#44]

11.5"...If you build it....they will come....

AND BUY THEM!

Thanks for considering!  

Wes
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://franklymydearmojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/FMD-Field-of-Dreams.jpg

11.5"...If you build it....they will come....

We're working on a new website to launch this week or next. It has a pre-order capability to allow us to get them done.

Standy by!

AND BUY THEM!

Thanks for considering!  

Wes
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#46]
I ordered my 14.5 on the afternoon of the 13th, and received it last night.  Really fast shipping from Recoil.  Can't wait to finish my build, but I wiped my budget out with Black Friday deals.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes, hence why we will only have 8. The rest are going to dealers and distributors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent! Thanks for the update Nathan...This will be my 3rd Faxon barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just fine. Its the same hole diameter of our medium profile barrels which have not had a reported issue for hundreds deployed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Nathan. I ordered the barrel from your website and I just had a question. I ordered the barrel on Wednesday and the order status still says "Processing". I'm showing the money already came out of my account. I just want to make sure that everything is okay or just to make sure there isn't some kind of hang-up. I'm not worried about ship times. Just want to make sure everything is okay. My order number is 2789.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You're good to go.
Hi Nathan. I ordered the barrel from your website and I just had a question. I ordered the barrel on Wednesday and the order status still says "Processing". I'm showing the money already came out of my account. I just want to make sure that everything is okay or just to make sure there isn't some kind of hang-up. I'm not worried about ship times. Just want to make sure everything is okay. My order number is 2789.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're good to go.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're good to go.

Dang that was a quick response on a weekend. I didn't even expect you to respond today. Thanks for checking on that for me. Have a good weekend.
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top