Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 8:45:04 AM EDT
Title says it all, for those of you who own/use the BCM Mod 0 Compensator, what's your opinion of it including likes/dislikes? Thx!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing to dislike about it for me.

It does very well imo in recoil/flash reduction making it a true hybrid, and the noise/concussion is as much as a .308 when indoors. Outside I don't even notice it and neither do people next to me.

ETA: It does better with recoil reduction, but the flash is still very manageable in low light and I dont notice it unless its pitch black.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
No first hand experience but with the BCM "deal" going on I am looking at these too, assume you have seen this and this,

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1047

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access3.html

Left cold from Sunday too much NFL laziness.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No first hand experience but with the BCM "deal" going on I am looking at these too, assume you have seen this and this,
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1047
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access3.html
Left cold from Sunday too much NFL laziness.
View Quote

Yes, thx. Unfortunately, my research hasn't shown me anything to really tilt my interest in the Mod 0 one way or the other, hence my asking here.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen a couple reviews on youtube and it seems to be so-so. I actually have one on my new BCM upper but all I have done so far is very quickly shoot a few rounds into the berm to test function. Once I get to the range I will run it beside my spike's dynacomp and let you know.

FWIW it looks pretty cool IMO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, one of the reviews mentioned it actually degrades accuracy a little due to side venting gas.  I could be way off on this comment as it has been a while since I read the review but that sticks in my mind.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

IIRC, one of the reviews mentioned it actually degrades accuracy a little due to side venting gas.  I could be way off on this comment as it has been a while since I read the review but that sticks in my mind.

View Quote
I think maybe if you were bench shooting without the rifle locked down then yes, but off hand I have had no issues.

100 yards sitting with elbows on knees shooting BUIS.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got 3 BCM LW 16" middy uppers inbound w/Mod 0 comps already installed (great deal, BCM, thx!), I'll post back here once I've had the chance to try them out w/maybe a night shoot to check for muzzle flash.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got back from the range and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the LW Middy 16" w/Mod 0 handles! I was definitely faster getting back on-target, but can't say for certain if that was due to the Mod 0, midlength gas system, longer handguard or a combination thereof. Regardless, I *like* how this setup handles!
Tomac

ETA: Now to find time for a night shoot to check the muzzle flash!...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just got back from the range and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the LW Middy 16" w/Mod 0 handles! I was definitely faster getting back on-target, but can't say for certain if that was due to the Mod 0, midlength gas system, longer handguard or a combination thereof. Regardless, I *like* how this setup handles!

Tomac

ETA: Now to find time for a night shoot to check the muzzle flash!...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got back from my local 24/7 range, fired 10rds of Prvi Partizan M193. Shot 4 rds holding the rifle perpendicular at arms length to observe the flash from the side, 3 rds aiming normally and 3 rds aiming normally while using a 500 lumen Inforce WMLx.

Rifle used was a BCM LW Middy 16" upper on a Colt 6920 lower.

As expected from the BCM's open sides, muzzle flash from the side was greater than the Simple Threaded Device's linear compensator (the muzzle device I've tested at night most recently). However, it was very consistent. I was surprised at how little concussion there was while holding the rifle perpendicular at close range, apparently the BCM does direct more of the blast forward from the side vents as advertised.

Aiming normally w/the STD I could see a small amount of flash at the bottom of my optic's FOV. W/the BCM I could see a small amount of flash to either side at the bottom if looking for it, but there was none directly in my FOV.

Using the taclight, the amount of light reflected from the muzzle blast by the BCM seemed to be about the same as w/the STD, enough to momentarily obscure the target in the right conditions (I've experienced this w/every muzzle device I've tested at night, no exceptions).

While I would prefer less muzzle flash (hybrids can't do everything really well), I'm not terribly concerned as I expect I won't be shooting at night unless I'm using my taclight anyway in which case the amount of muzzle flash is moot (as long as it's not so great as to interfere w/shooting). If I must choose between controllability & muzzle flash, I'll take better compensation w/more flash (YMMV).

IMHO, the BCM does a good "jack of all trades" job, especially in light of its small size since it's both lighter and shorter than the Griffins I'd been using.

Tomac

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a mod 1 on a 14.7 m4a1 profile upper. Its noticeably different than my a1 birdcages, but the concussion isnt bad at all. Will post pics later.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the review Tomac.

I'll chalk you up as a fan of the BCM comp.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the review Tomac.
I'll chalk you up as a fan of the BCM comp.
View Quote

Welcome! While the Mod 0 isn't perfect (laws of physics preclude my "perfect" muzzle device, much as they preclude my "perfect" optic), I like its balance of size, weight & compensation/concussion/muzzle flash characteristics better than anything else I'm aware of (YMMV). Certain characteristics can be improved, but only at a cost (ie: increased size, weight, price and/or performance decrease in other areas).

There are so many quality muzzle devices available nowadays, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them unless you simply must have the absolute best of compensation, concussion, muzzle flash or recoil reduction. Choose the device that offers the best balance of the characteristics most important to you.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I pin guaged a mod 0 at .239"  (.0075" bullet clearance per side) that probably explains accuracy issues.  I once had a crush washer mounted spr brake with .243" aperture cause a 3/4 moa spr to group 4-5 moa.  Tight apertures are more sensitive to perfect alignment.  Crush washers are really not capable of providing the allignment they need.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I pin guaged a mod 0 at .239"  (.0075" bullet clearance per side) that probably explains accuracy issues.  I once had a crush washer mounted spr brake with .243" aperture cause a 3/4 moa spr to group 4-5 moa.  Tight apertures are more sensitive to perfect alignment.  Crush washers are really not capable of providing the allignment they need.
View Quote

Interesting. I didn't detect any noticeable increase in group sizes while sighting-in (I sighted in 3 of these; 2 on my rifles, 1 on my son's rifle), but I was just shooting off a casual bench w/a 1.8moa RDS (I'm sure my astigmatism didn't help). Hmmm.... I may have to pick up something more accurate than my usual PP M193 and have someone w/better eyesight actually shoot one of my rifles for group size.
Tomac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top