Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 12:02:45 AM EDT
Why won't slow twist rate barrels stabilize heavier bullets? I know they aren't supposed to, but I've never heard an explanation.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Bullets need a minimum spin rate (RPM) for given conditions (air density) to stabilize.
Velocity and twist determine bullet RPM.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Some stuff to chew on:

Stability Calculator

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
With their shape, pointy at the front and heavy at the back they tend to want to swap ends (like a Porsche 911).  You need to spin them fast enough to keep them pointing straight.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
So if I am getting this right, muzzle velocity has some effect on gyroscopic stability (increased velocity down the barrel equals increased spin speed regardless of twist rate) but not as much effect as barrel twist rate. Also, as distance downrange increases and bullet velocity decreases, gyroscopic stability also decreases. Does that sound right?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much.

That's why at extended ranges, bullets tend to become less stable and can even tumble as they drop below trans-sonic.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]
AFAIK bullet velocity only affects spin rate while in contact with the rifling.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if I am getting this right, muzzle velocity has some effect on gyroscopic stability (increased velocity down the barrel equals increased spin speed regardless of twist rate) but not as much effect as barrel twist rate. Also, as distance downrange increases and bullet velocity decreases, gyroscopic stability also decreases. Does that sound right?
View Quote

Increasing muzzle velocity increases bullet spin, and spin provides the stability.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AFAIK bullet velocity only affects spin rate while in contact with the rifling.
View Quote

True, but the external forces on a bullet change greatly as it goes from super to subsonic, which can lead to instability.  Standard 5.56 loads will often tumble within 1000yd regardless of twist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top