Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 9:00:10 PM EDT
I'm looking for an upper for my 3rd build. I have two heaver A2 set ups and wanted something a little lighter and different. So far I have been very pleased with PSA and their quality and plan to go the same route again for this build.........I'm looking at an mid-length  upper with rails that run up to the beginning of the flash suppressor.....my questions are.....are there any negatives (aside for little more weight) having a rail run the length of the barrel? Any trouble finding /mounting hand guards on this type of  platform If I  decided I wanted them later?
Also....the barrel is a hybrid..... in-between a light and pencil barrel.....any issues anyone can see with that? Accuracy? Durability? I sincerely appreciate any thoughts/comments....Thanks

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Midwest industries 15" keymod
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Odinworks 15.5 KeyMod
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hera Arms IRS 15''
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you people just not even bother to read the OP any more?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of grip do you use? How long are your arms? There are no negatives for me running longer hand guards cause I have long arms and the longer rails fit me fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Love my 15" M.I. keymod
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks TATBME...I'm 6 ft 200.....I use a collapsible stock on all my guns so I can adjust to fit...not worried about that so much.... I was more concerned about the set up in general, my concerns  and whether I am I overlooking something that I would come to  regret later. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
No downsides that I can think of. Longer sight radius, can grip the rifle closer to the muzzle, and you can attach your light close to the muzzle so it doesn't cast a shadow should you choose to use one.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the upper you are thinking about. You can see it run in full auto and semi auto in one of our videos. I really like this hand guard. It is very comfortable and does not get hot even in  full auto. As far as rail covers, they can only go where the rails are.....at very front and rear of the hand guard. Regarding the barrel, it is very high quality, FN made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAvebGC33j4&list=UUhuf4US5bFAgpeCYFys02XQ[/youtube
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for your responses.....Mike.....your video has quite a few misfires using the system I am interested in.....I  know you used different lowers... but only the Mid -length had failures......is it that temperamental all the time with different trigger systems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAvebGC33j4&list

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The failures to fire were trigger related. The upper works perfectly on the other two lowers. Tac Con sent a replacement trigger which has had no failures with this upper or any others. Check out how reliable the upper was in full auto, and with the Geissele trigger. There is no problem with the upper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAvebGC33j4&list
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#12]
As for that upper, I cannot recommend the SQR handguard.  It is pretty heavy, has no way to attach any accessories except for at the very front o. Those built in rails, and does not have sufficient venting and gets very hot.  If it had keymod or Mlok slots along the sides and bottom it would solve all of those issues.  I ended up drilling holes in the bottom of mine in order to mount a grip.  If you plan on firing more than 2 mags through it at a medium pace, you will require gloves to deal with the heat. Other than that, that upper is excellent. Very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Geissele... end the thread....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Is the picture what you are looking at? As far as rail length, there are no negatives aside from weight.  You will get a longer sight radius (a plus) and a lot more space to put stuff.  I like longer rails on rigs I run lights on to reduce barrel shadowing.  The type of free float you choose will effect the weight the most.  Among the lightest these days is the BCM KMR.  Virtually any KeyMod will be lighter than a traditional quad rail or many other modular types like the Geissele.  That being said, if you are running a lighter profile barrel that can counteract the weight gain a bit (lose some ounces on the barrel, gain some on the rail.) LW Barrels should run fine for most purposes, you'd have to shoot more than most could afford in a couple minutes before it really damages the barrel (like a couple THOUSAND rounds).  A LW barrel will heat up faster, but will also cool off faster.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I forgot to add, that depending on the system you choose you can usually switch the rail itself rather easily (generally a couple of screws) and leave the barrel nut as is.  This would include the BCM KMR, Noveske NSR/NSR Hybrid/NQR/SWS, Geissele, LaRue (with a little more effort)
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Weight is the only negative.  I normally go for 12 or 13" handguards as that is where I am comfortable holding the rifle.        

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks TATBME...I'm 6 ft 200.....I use a collapsible stock on all my guns so I can adjust to fit...not worried about that so much.... I was more concerned about the set up in general, my concerns  and whether I am I overlooking something that I would come to  regret later. Thanks
View Quote

I'm 6'1 205 so we are about the same, I have 2 13inch rails and 2 14inch rails also a 10inch on a pistol I haven't put together yet so I'll let you know on that one.  The longer rails like I said fit fine I've never ran a 15 but I don't think it could be any diff than a 14.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the 15" handguards on my scoped rifles.  That way I can fold the Bi-pod up and shoot it offhand with the same grip I would use with the bipod off.  Also allows me to shoot from various rests without worrying about putting pressure on the barrel.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
fortis rev
the 14" is actually almost 15"
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]
All great info.....I appreciate everyone's insightful feedback.....hope to return the favor someday
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#21]
A handguard is attached to a barrel nut. If it affects reliability then it is beyond junk. It's like saying the lug nuts on your car damaged the transmission.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top