Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 2:39:41 AM EDT
I'm thinking about swapping out my magpul moe hand guard for a free floating one. How difficult is it to remove the delta ring and the a2 front sights then install the free floater?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Assuming we are talking a 16" barrel:
-Remove the flash hider
-Knock out the taper pins, and remove the FSB, cap, and gas tube
-Remove the barrel nut, and take off the delta ring

-Reinstall the barrel nut if you are going to install a FF handguard that mounts on a standard nut

Reassemble with a lo-pro gas block, or you can chop the FSB, if you like, and make your own
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
-Remove the flash hider

-Reinstall the barrel nut if you are going to install a FF handguard that mounts on a standard nut

Reassemble with a lo-pro gas block, or you can chop the FSB, if you like, and make your own
View Quote

Ok. So to do this I need to get all the tools for removing the barrel. And access to a vice clamp. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Daniel defense makes a quad rail that is a two piece free float "omega". MI also makes a two piece quad and a keymod two piece that are a little cheaper not sure if those are free float though I stopped researching when I decided to go with the DD omega. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you wanted to avoid the alternative.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have the right tools, uppers are extremely easy to work on, even easier than lowers.  If you don't have the right tools, don't even bother.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Not hard.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have the right tools, uppers are extremely easy to work on, even easier than lowers.  If you don't have the right tools, don't even bother.
View Quote

for OP's reference right tools will be a workbench and vice, an upper receiver vice block, punches, a mallet, and an armorer's wrench.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:21:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

for OP's reference right tools will be a workbench and vice, an upper receiver vice block, punches, a mallet, and an armorer's wrench.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That us exactly what my next question was going to be.
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll start getting all the tools bought and start when I can.

And I built the lower for this rifle so I should be ok working on the upper.
I hope . Haha
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok. So to do this I need to get all the tools for removing the barrel. And access to a vice clamp. Thanks for the info!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Remove the flash hider

You'll need a 2-3lb hammer, bench vice, a hardened steel punch pin set these work nicely, Brownells FSB Template (it really does help), a torque wrench from Sears or Harbor Freight (I'm partial to Craftsman tools), THIS a Brownells (5) prong barrel nut wrench (the best I know of for sure), a 3/4" standard open wrench head (for removing the flash hider), an upper receiver action block from HERE, and whatever Allen wrenches your new FF rail requires for installing. I bought these tools to convert my Spikes M4LE into a Recce initially; and I've used all of them countless times now building my own rifles to MY exact liking and have saved me, my family and friends so much time and money. There are a lot of hack "gunsmiths" out there that will rob you and ruin your firearm. These tools are a great investment.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#9]
If your using a two piece free float rail, or something similar, and a standard barrel nut you can simply dremel through your delta ring assembly shave down your front sight block with said dremel and install your rail.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Step one: find a hand guard you like that works with a standard nut.
Step two: Dremel with a cut off wheel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If your using a two piece free float rail, or something similar, and a standard barrel nut you can simply dremel through your delta ring assembly shave down your front sight block with said dremel and install your rail.
View Quote

5 fucking seconds!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Easy peasy
Use a ff rail that uses your barrel nut
Like troy or viking
And watch this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYpR6TLEMI

Ain't YouTube grand!

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for help, this thread has been useful to me as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want you can buy a DD Omega rail. You don't need to remove the FSP to attach it to the rifle as it's a two piece rail. You'll just need the tool or a friend to depress the delta ring. It bolts into the D ring once you remove the old hand guards.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Daniel defense makes a quad rail that is a two piece free float "omega". MI also makes a two piece quad and a keymod two piece that are a little cheaper not sure if those are free float though I stopped researching when I decided to go with the DD omega. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you wanted to avoid the alternative.
View Quote

This. Also several others make FF hand guards that will work with the stock delta ring and FSB. I like the VLtor CASV.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, you may want to check your home town forum for help. Might be a member near by with all the tools and works for a six pack.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This. Also several others make FF hand guards that will work with the stock delta ring and FSB. I like the VLtor CASV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

KAC RAS.

ETA if carbine or rifle gas
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Correct me if I'm wrong but the KAC RAS is not free floating like the OP is requesting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the KAC RAS is not free floating like the OP is requesting.
View Quote

You're correct. But this is Arfcom. Nobody listens.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Easy peasy
Use a ff rail that uses your barrel nut
Like troy or viking
And watch this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYpR6TLEMI

Ain't YouTube grand!

View Quote
I just knew he was going to Dremel the front of the upper. Sure enough, he did. A piece of sheet metal as a shield probably would have prevented that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Got it done today! This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Went with the Daniel Defense 12" with FSB cutout. The only thing is I also had to punch the sling swivel. Have to get another that attaches to rail now but it looks and shoots better now. Thanks all again for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top