Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2014 11:45:11 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I am currently battling whether or not I should upgrade to a collapsible stock. My primary use is target shooting at my local range. Currently the rifle shoots very nicely, albeit recoil is a bit too snappy for my liking, but nonetheless shoots a 1/2" group at 100 yards so I'm not really complaining. Aside from aesthetics, is there any real functional benefit to having a collapsible stock? I realise that it's pretty uncommon for someone to stick an A2 on a carbine - is there anyone out there that actually prefers fixed A2 stocks over collapsible ones? I've had no problems with mine, just people telling me the rifle needs a carbine stock.

Also... imported firearm parts are expensive here in NZ:
- Do such benefits justify paying $350NZD ($272USD) for a BCM 6 positional mil-spec buffer & Magpul MOE mil-spec stock here in New Zealand?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]

They look a little funky, but if it works and feels good, roll with it. I rebarreled my NM A2 with a 16" carbine last winter and wished I had a longer stock, at least for Prone (I'm 6'1" with a long neck). I dislike most of the collapsibles since I usually rock a full beard that gets pinched, and they don't provide enough cheekweld area because I'm a longneck.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you're getting in & out of vehicles w/ your rifle, clearing buildings, or shooting w/ a bulletproof vest, then no real need for a collapsible stock.  Thought y'all had to have thumbhole stocks, or did that go away?

As far as the recoil, you might look into an adjustable gas block, and start thinking about lightweight bolt carriers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Adjustable LOP is the biggest benefit. Some stocks like the SOPMOD and STR also provide a better cheek weld.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you're getting in & out of vehicles w/ your rifle, clearing buildings, or shooting w/ a bulletproof vest, then no real need for a collapsible stock.  Thought y'all had to have thumbhole stocks, or did that go away?

As far as the recoil, you might look into an adjustable gas block, and start thinking about lightweight bolt carriers.
View Quote

Hmm... a thought. Not sure about availability here. With an E endorsement on your licence you can basically have whatever you wish within the parameters of the law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_licence_(New_Zealand)#Endorsements
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#6]
If a round is stuck, between the charging handle and the bolt or double feed, the procedure to clear it is to slam the rifle butt against the ground... hard.  Hard enough to break most collapsible stocks.

Can't slam it as hard with an M4 stock so you can't clear as many jams.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree fully... No real need for collapsible in OP's description.
Might actually find a full stock performs better on the range. Note what competitive three-gun or IPSC shooters use.

[But there is always the look, plenty of people like the look of the collapsible stock, and that has some value to some owners]

Here is 16" 'carbine' length with a full stock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Or you could go with fixed carbine stocks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I know my brother put a A2 stock on his Daniel Def. carbine. A friend of his asked him why, he walked up to a tree and butt stroked it, and asked him to try it with his colt M4 witch of corse had a collapsible M4 stock. He laughed and declined.

I personally love the fact that the A2 allows you to store a cleaning kit in the stock as well as other items, like matches etc. And for myself is a great length, and if it's to long for you, most will then like an A1 stock. It's also obviously much stronger. And if you were actually in a combat situation is very useful. NOT for buttstroking so much as dropping to the ground as trained (in the Army anyway) using the butt of the rifle to break your fall, since you are not exactly taking your time. Slam the butt of the rifle into the ground at an angle appox 45%. And it works well to help break the fall but still drop/slam to the ground in a big dang hurry.,,,and yea you can butt stroke someone with it lol. All things you can't do with a collapsible unit...or are taking a risk in damaging the weapon imo if done.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Might actually find a full stock performs better on the range. Note what competitive three-gun or IPSC shooters use.

[But there is always the look, plenty of people like the look of the collapsible stock, and that has some value to some owners]

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/young-kiwi/2014-09-13113615_zps389611f9.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/young-kiwi/2014-09-13113615_zps389611f9.jpg

Good point - for range use I do think I'd be far more comfortable using a full length stock - I am sporting a scope as well.
Very keen on the Magpul full length rifle stock. It looks nice :)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Decided to get a Magpul full length rifle stock. Thanks for all your awesome answers guys!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know my brother put a A2 stock on his Daniel Def. carbine. A friend of his asked him why, he walked up to a tree and butt stroked it, and asked him to try it with his colt M4 witch of corse had a collapsible M4 stock. He laughed and declined.

I personally love the fact that the A2 allows you to store a cleaning kit in the stock as well as other items, like matches etc. And for myself is a great length, and if it's to long for you, most will then like an A1 stock. It's also obviously much stronger. And if you were actually in a combat situation is very useful. NOT for buttstroking so much as dropping to the ground as trained (in the Army anyway) using the butt of the rifle to break your fall, since you are not exactly taking your time. Slam the butt of the rifle into the ground at an angle appox 45%. And it works well to help break the fall but still drop/slam to the ground in a big dang hurry.,,,and yea you can butt stroke someone with it lol. All things you can't do with a collapsible unit...or are taking a risk in damaging the weapon imo if done.
View Quote

Hmm that is a very good point. I watched a few videos on you tube and after seeing a guy destroy his MOE collapsible stock trying to clear a stuck case using intertia by banging the stock on the ground... no thanks. At $200 for the stock alone I'd rather spend less and get something more durable. Since I'm sporting a scope, I think a full length stock would best suit me. There's nothing wrong with the A2 stock I currently have, but I do think the Magpul MOE rifle stock could suit me quite well. Better cheek-weld, durable, nicer storage compartment and aesthetics... you've got me convinced
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top