Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 10:03:54 PM EDT
I'm going to be selling some guns and I'm wondering what's the best way for me to ship them to the buyers?

I've been out of the loop for a while and I am not sure who allows shipping rifles and handguns (UPS, USPS and/or FEDEX) and what are the best options.

I recently shipped some China (dishes) with UPS and despite that I had them packed at a UPS store, UPS denied my claim after they were broken in transit. It was obvious that UPS damaged (smashed the box) the shipment and I even appealed and they pretty much told me to eat sand. I have read many many ordeals on the internet wherein UPS just denies any and all claims.

I don't think that USPS allows shipping of firearms.

The last two guns I bought came FEDEX.

I'm thinking that FEDEX might be the way to go.

I would appreciate any advice from everyone here that cares to weigh in.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I would check the laws. I believe it has to get there within 2 days or something. I would go FedEx or ups.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Handguns:
USPS allows this shipping method by FFLs only.
UPS requires overnight for all shippers
FEDEX requires overnight for all shippers

Receivers, Rifles, Shotguns:
USPS, UPS, and Fedex allow standard shipments

On the handguns, UPS and FEDEX requiring overnight service is a company policy not a law.  If you follow that policy the overnight saver is the cheapest method, this is one that gets there by end of day, not in morning.  The cheapest way by either carrier if you are following their policy is UPS next day air saver with your handgun packed inside a UPS shipping box.  If you are not following their policy, you can ship your handgun UPS Ground, etc very cheap, you would breaking the policy of the carrier but not any laws that I am aware of.  If your workplace, etc has an account UPS discounts around 40% on overnight on accounts, the ground discount is closer to 10%.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've sold a shit ton of guns over the years...FedEx is the only shipping carrier that I use - not one single problem ever. Just make sure to 1) insure for full value or, full value + 20% for your time, shipping fees, packaging, etc., 2) avoid any content markings on the exterior of the box "Firearm", "Gun", "Rifle", etc...obviously, don't draw attention to what's being shipped, and 3) make sure to take directly to a FedEx shipping center and advise the FedEx employee of what's being shipped.

I personally avoid UPS as they don't have a positive track record...this just happened over the summer - Southern California UPS driver charged with stealing dozens of guns to sell on black market
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer Fedex, especially as a buyer since packages can easily be held at a Fedex/Kinkos store.

Rifles and shotguns can be shipped via USPS by anyone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to c5hardtop, Joe_Sakic & ManBearPack - your answers were very useful and helpful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top