Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2014 9:54:04 AM EDT
Has anyone done any testing to see if the upper receiver actually affects accuracy?  I've built three ARs and have always used $40 blemished upper receivers.  

My next build will likely be a 6.5grendel using a relatively expensive barrel (to me) and I want to make sure I do whatever I can take keep it as accurate as possible.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
How the barrel fits can affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

99% of it is barrel quality and bolt fit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]
With respect to the upper receiver, the only thing I have heard some people swear by is lapping its front face in order to square it up so that the barrel seats squarely/aligns "properly".

I've also heard others say that lapping the upper doesn't make any difference unless you turn the shoulder of the barrel extension to square it as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Would the type of receiver (slick side vs. A3) have any effect on the scopes interface with the rifle, in the regard to slight flexing of the receiver?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would the type of receiver (slick side vs. A3) have any effect on the scopes interface with the rifle, in the regard to slight flexing of the receiver?
View Quote

Not a measurable one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The cartridge is in the chamber when you pull the trigger, the upper receiver doesn't matter at this point.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cartridge is in the chamber when you pull the trigger, the upper receiver doesn't matter at this point.
View Quote

I can imagine you want to the bolt to be perfectly square against the chamber though so there are not uneven pressures on the round in the chamber.  If the upper receiver were off, I could see where it could case this sort of uneven-ness.  That's my best guess.  Perhaps someone with some more experience can chime in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can imagine you want to the bolt to be perfectly square against the chamber though so there are not uneven pressures on the round in the chamber.  If the upper receiver were off, I could see where it could case this sort of uneven-ness.  That's my best guess.  Perhaps someone with some more experience can chime in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The key to accuracy isn't in perfection of parts, it's in consistency of action. If the BCG is tilted a degree up in relation to the barrel it's going to exert the same forces every time on every loading. If they are all the same then down range at the target you'll get the same.

It's things that have variable that screw accuracy, barrel whip, you pulling the trigger, putting different pressures on the barrel through the rest, Sigh picture. It's why heavy barrels, a good trigger, free floating, and a good stock are keys to good accuracy. (I know I'm missing more I just want to get a point across)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upper receiver is not exerting force on the bolt during lockup.

The receiver would have to be really bent to do that.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once the barrel is fit snug with the receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJL-IscH_jo
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a good video, but it also made me almost puke.
I have an upper barely fired, with both highly respected brand named barrel and upper where the barrel just flopped in like a hotdog in a hallway
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the video. Very interesting points he brings up. Watched them just in time considering I'm putting together a LR-308.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have an upper barely fired, with both highly respected brand named barrel and upper where the barrel just flopped in like a hotdog in a hallway
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like that video was shot at Camp Perry.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#14]
How does he index the new extension with an old barrel ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top