Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 11:55:23 PM EDT
So I was shooting today guys and hit my front sight post strait on pretty hard. How much force would it take to move a pinned front sight (A2) post on an ar-15 upper?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Forged taper pinned front sight bases are nearly bomb proof, in my opinion.  Knowing the force it takes to remove those pins, I would worry more about the damage inflicted upon whatever the hell it was you hit it on.

Guys here that had these rifles fielded, or use them in urban duties can certainly speak more to this, it is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The steel would bend before you get the base to move more than a macroscopic amount, it's the most sturdy option there is as far as attatching a gas block to a barrel
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I've taken many standard sites off and beat the hell out I then doing it. Bombproof is a good term for them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess my question really is how rugged are the holes in the barrel that hold them on. So if you were to remove a pinned sight block you wouldnt have to re-align it because the holes in the barrel are where they are right?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a hell of a time intentionally trying to remove FSBs with the proper tools, i.e. to install a rail.  Depending on the manufacturer, it can be damn near impossible, BCM & Noveske being the toughest I've tried, PSA being the easiest.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a hell of a time intentionally trying to remove FSBs with the proper tools, i.e. to install a rail.  Depending on the manufacturer, it can be damn near impossible, BCM & Noveske being the toughest I've tried, PSA being the easiest.
View Quote

Funny  - I had almost the opposite. My BCM upper was a breeze. Took two decent blows from a standard framing hammer and they were out. 3 of my PSA uppers were moderate... about 5 hits each got it done. My last one was a HUGE pain in the ass. It took damn near 30 minutes to get those pins out. I'm not sure why they were so tight but it really sucked trying to get them out.

OP - the holes will still line up and it'll go right back to where it should be once you have it all aligned and installed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
No kidding! I have the FSB block, taper pin punch and vices and my 5 year old, never fired bought used BCM BFH LW was near impossible! My punch was flattened out before the pins would budge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Question answered. I figured they were pretty tough. I am pretty rough on my shit just wanted to know from someone who knows better than I do (most of you).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top