Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 2:41:00 PM EDT
I use JP and Samson handguards and I have used many different brands over the years on my builds and customers'.

Just wondering what you guys use and what you like about your handguard to expand my knowledge base.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Fortis REV...strong, light, functional...and looks like Batman.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
A1 triangles. Lightweight, retro, thin in the front, flat on bottom makes a nice rest on bag.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
SLR, decent price, lots of options, nice and light, easy to install.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Diamondhead VRS-T rail.... smooth and very ergonomic to my hands without having to add rail covers or additions.

Quad rails are a thing of the past.... no need for all them rails.

The VRS-T rails are not cheap though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using a Troy Alpha rail, 15" Rail on 16" barrel.

I really like the feel in hand, I prefer a slimmer hand guard (and not having to put on rail covers for comfort).  I enjoy the ability to attach rail where I want it (although that seems to be the norm now with quad rails going out of vogue).  I've only had experience with my sample however I did have to go to Lowes and buy longer screws to attach a rail section.  One of them went on fine however the rest did not quite reach.

Weight is pretty good, around 12 oz for the 15 inch.  Uses stock barrel nut, easy to install, locks up very well.

I'm interested in checking out a Key mod, will most likely try a BCM KMR.  I like the idea of being able to attach accessories directly to the handguard instead of having to attach a piece of rail and then add the accessory to that, seems to be a more lightweight solution.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used many over the years. KAC M4 RAS, KAC M5 RAS, KAC URX, PRI, MI T-Series, MI SSG2, MI carbine drop-in rails, TROY, Geissle, DD, CAR, M4, A1 Triangle, and A2 ribbed. No real favorites, but the new MI SSG2 is fantastic. Strong, lightweight, and versatile.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
^ - 15" 3-gun version here...

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

" />
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
My two favs are the original Rainier EVO and the Troy VTAC alpha.  I think the thing I like the most is they are primarily smooth.  Not big cheese graters.  You can add the rails where ever you want.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
For my 16" AR, I love thin and light feeling of the Daniel Defense M4V1 12.0 FSP Rail.. As for my SBR, Primary Weapons did the keymod rail right!

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Samson EVO. Light, adaptable, modular, smooth, and any length you want
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Wilson Combat TRIM 13.8"  It's a little on the heavy side, but looks amazing. Easy to mount/ROCK solid barrel nut system, modularity is excellent, full length top rail, 1.5" inner diameter, fairly thin too making it super comfy to wield around. Couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Right now, 3 KMRs and an NSR. I like them for their size and weight, and I feel the kmr is a better hg than the NSR.  Bcm just doesn't make a 7" yet.

I've used Samson, Troy, mi, geisselle, and some others not really worth mentioning as well. I feel the kmr is the superior system of that bunch. Id call mi a tie with the noveske for 2nd. (Price being in favor of the mi, finish and mounting in favor of noveske).
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Samson EVO. Light, adaptable, modular, smooth, and any length you want
View Quote

This. And it looks great too
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#15]
LaRue, which I have had for a few years

things still mount to it
it's free-floating
it's paid for
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a MI SS Gen 2. Great little handguard...very light, put rails where you like.

The 10.5" I'm building will have a Troy quad rail because I got it for a steal.

Everything else is Magpul MOE. Light, looks and feels good, can add accessories if needed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Had a MI SS Gen 2. Great little handguard...very light, put rails where you like.

The 10.5" I'm building will have a Troy quad rail because I got it for a steal.

Everything else is Magpul MOE. Light, looks and feels good, can add accessories if needed.
View Quote

Those are the two I use as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#18]
BCM KMR 13 all the way!
I think it's the lightest 13.5" rail on the market if not mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Geissele Mk8 because it's beautiful. Plus, I like the simplicity of M Lok and I think it will eventually become the standard for attaching accesories to rails.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
KAC m4 RAS
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
DD Lite. Because it's so bad ass...

/thread
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a CMR 14 and love everything about it. It's skinny, lightweight, rock solid, very modular, and looks great too.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Daniel Defense Omega.  Free Floating without the "hassle" of taking the barrel off if you have a fixed front sight. And it is rock solid. Expensive though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I like the superb workmanship and strength of Daniel Defense rails.  I also have moved past four sided quad rails.  All those extra rail slots increase diameter and bulk, almost invariably lead to the additional bulk of rail covers to protect them and cover up the "cheese grater" appearance and uncomfortable feel.  Most of those slots never get used, and most of us never mount very many accessories on the rail at the same time, anyway.

Modular rails make more sense.  Only the top is railed.  The sides and bottom stay smooth, but have attachment points for short rail segments that can be placed only when and where needed.  My favorite is the rail that Daniel Defense sells on their DDM4V7 rifle series.  It is sold separately as the Modular Float Rail (MFR) 12.0.  It comes with three 3" mini rail sections.  One feature I especially like is that the tube is designed to permit the mini rails to be mounted at 45 degree offset in addition to the full 90 degree sides and the bottom.  This allows mounting options not posssible on many other rails without having to add the cost and weight of special offset mounts.

Here is mine configured in minimalist mode with just a bipod at the bottom front.  I also sometimes run it with a QD tactical weapon light on the left front side activated by a tape switch pad in a vertical grip.  With that setup the QD mounted scope is replaced with a QD mounted microdot.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I like the KAC URX4. The rail is the barrel nut. Monolitihic strong and feels good in me hands. The only downside is it requires some skill to install, especially with a pinned low pro GB. No screws to come loose and dickmod looks cool.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Dupe
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I just completed a new build and purchased the Bravo Company KMR 13"..This thing is amazing, you just have to hold to appreciate how truly awesome they are. It almost has a plastic feel to it, and I don't mean that in a bad way, just feels amazing. In the past I have used: Daniel Defense, YHM, MI, Troy, Vltor, SLR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#29]
One word, "Geissele"
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Troy alpha rails and vtac rails have served me well. But I absolutely love the BCM KMR.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Clark Custom carbon fiber tube.
Light, strong, doesn't get too hot compared to aluminum.
Clark tubes are the only FF tubes I've ever used.  Goes well with my minimalist design philosophy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:14:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I like my Samson/Rainier Evolution.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#33]
BCM KMR for reason stated in thread, and I stayed away from tube rails until this one came out.

As for quad rails I really like LaRue, and Daniel Defense RIS II/Lite III cause they are circular.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A1 triangles. Lightweight, retro, thin in the front, flat on bottom makes a nice rest on bag.
View Quote

I wish someone made this for a 6920. Don't care what others think, I would be all, "shut up and take my money".

Currently have a skinny bushmaster on it and a A1 fixed stock. Just like it better than OEM.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I like the Diamondhead VRS-T rail.... smooth and very ergonomic to my hands without having to add rail covers or additions.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/mdewitt71/RunnerRunner105withKAK.jpg

Quad rails are a thing of the past.... no need for all them rails.

The VRS-T rails are not cheap though.
View Quote
Lots of great hand guards available.  Diamondhead is a neat looking one, don't have one yet.  But quads are alive and well.  Even though they may not be in your favor there are lots of guys out there that prefer a quad, or prefer to at least have one in their collection.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Most of my handguards are Troy Alpha except for my complete DD rifle and DD upper.

I like the Troy because:
1) They use the stock barrel nut which makes them easy to install (no special tool).

2) They're light weight and small (diameter).

3) I can put rails where I need which goes to point #2

4) They're inexpensive (the last 11" I bought was $143).

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#37]
There are few that I don't like at all, but here is my take on the various ones I have:

- BCM KMR - Nice and extremely light (weighs less than polymer handguards!!! wtf! are they magicians?!), more than the 3-6-9 Keymod areas; finish wears off fast, limited sizes right now (9, 11, 13, 15; a 7 would be nice) and availability
- Daniel Defense RIS II - Nice rail, love the rail past the FSB; Bulky and Cluttered near upper receiver
- Fortis REV - Nice and light, keymod with full rails on 6 and 12 is nice so you don't have to mess around with add on panels to find the right spot, uses standard barrel nut
- Geissele SMR MK1 - Solid as granite; heavy as granite also
- KAC URX/RAS FF - Solid as granite; install is a bitch and they have strange sizes (I mean NO ONE basically makes the same sizes as them except for the 12")
- LaRue Tactical LT15 - a very nice quad with QD mounts, one of the early and best ones, hearty selection of sizes; heavy and the mounting system isn't my favorite
- Noveske NSR - One of John's last inventions/creations, nice and light, probably the largest selection of sizes (7,9,11,13.5,15,16.7); there are cheaper options now and some find it too thin, availability varies (right now it's pretty dry!)
- Noveske/SWS or NQR - A nice standard quad with QD mounts, also a large number of sizes (7,9,11,13.5); not sold individually yet
- Noveske NHR - Haven't handled one but basically a NSR with a 6 o'clock rail or a Fortis Rev without the small rails in the front, I'll probably like it; not available yet except for a few uppers

Not a fan:
- Troy Alpha - feels flimsy
- Midwest Industries
- Geissele SMR MK2 - it's nice, but you can tell it's a step down if you have a MK1

Anything MLOK - answer to a question that was never asked, I guess if you don't like the look of the Keymod holes or you hate John Noveske/VLTOR etc - if anyone other than Magpul introduced it, it would be gone the way of the dinosaurs already/Dead on Arrival etc.  I'll probably get lit up for this but with Keymod becoming virtually an industry standard, again, why other than to be different?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There are few that I don't like at all, but here is my take on the various ones I have:

- BCM KMR - Nice and extremely light (weighs less than polymer handguards!!! wtf! are they magicians?!), more than the 3-6-9 Keymod areas; finish wears off fast, limited sizes right now (9, 11, 13, 15; a 7 would be nice) and availability
- Daniel Defense RIS II - Nice rail, love the rail past the FSB; Bulky and Cluttered near upper receiver
- Fortis REV - Nice and light, keymod with full rails on 6 and 12 is nice so you don't have to mess around with add on panels to find the right spot, uses standard barrel nut
- Geissele SMR MK1 - Solid as granite; heavy as granite also
- KAC URX/RAS FF - Solid as granite; install is a bitch and they have strange sizes (I mean NO ONE basically makes the same sizes as them except for the 12")
- LaRue Tactical LT15 - a very nice quad with QD mounts, one of the early and best ones, hearty selection of sizes; heavy and the mounting system isn't my favorite
- Noveske NSR - One of John's last inventions/creations, nice and light, probably the largest selection of sizes (7,9,11,13.5,15,16.7); there are cheaper options now and some find it too thin, availability varies (right now it's pretty dry!)
- Noveske/SWS or NQR - A nice standard quad with QD mounts, also a large number of sizes (7,9,11,13.5); not sold individually yet
- Noveske NHR - Haven't handled one but basically a NSR with a 6 o'clock rail or a Fortis Rev without the small rails in the front, I'll probably like it; not available yet except for a few uppers

Not a fan:
- Troy Alpha - feels flimsy
- Midwest Industries - usually imported and lots of IPR lawsuits so I stick away
- Geissele SMR MK2 - it's nice, but you can tell it's a step down if you have a MK1

Anything MLOK - answer to a question that was never asked, I guess if you don't like the look of the Keymod holes or you hate John Noveske/VLTOR etc - if anyone other than Magpul introduced it, it would be gone the way of the dinosaurs already/Dead on Arrival etc.  I'll probably get lit up for this but with Keymod becoming virtually an industry standard, again, why other than to be different?
View Quote

Source?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I may be wrong so I'll gladly correct it, I thought I remembered seeing their accessories being imported but I haven't looked at any of their products in years.  The IPR stuff bothers me more than anything, a lot of the accessories look like cheap copies of LaRue, Troy etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I may be wrong so I'll gladly correct it, I thought I remembered seeing their accessories being imported but I haven't looked at any of their products in years.  The IPR stuff bothers me more than anything, a lot of the accessories look like cheap copies of LaRue, Troy etc.
View Quote

Ya as far as I know the MI stuff is good to go.

I have a 12in mI g2ss. Solid lock up, thin and damned light while still modular. The MI rail covers feel nice. If I had to do it again,I would've gone key mod. But no biggie.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I use JP and Samson handguards and I have used many different brands over the years on my builds and customers'.

Just wondering what you guys use and what you like about your handguard to expand my knowledge base.
View Quote

Switched all my handguards over to KMR's lightest wt.to tightest lockup ratio.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm bucking the trend, I like my centurian c4 rail....
Light for a quad rail with solid lockup and can be had for a good price second hand
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I went with the SLR from YHM for my 14.5 build  I also got the YHM slant muzzle brake to go with it.

" />
" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top