Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 12:47:40 AM EDT
Hey guys I was cleaning my ar upper and while sitting on the couch I turned the upper upside down, bolt carrier aiming toward the carpet, so it fell out because it is well broken in the charging handle was not latched so it fell and i quickly tried to catch it making it hit the floor bolt first. i picked it up the bolt was pushed in all the way as if it were locked into battery and at took just a tiny bit more pull than usual to pull the bolt out. do you think i damaged anything. its a bcm bolt carrier group and it only fell from about a foot or so maybe a little less. is it ok? seems to function just fine still and the gas key does not look or seem to be bent and it cycles smoothly in the upper. anyone else out there ever drop their bolt carrier group.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
No. Junk. I'll PM you my address so you can ship it to me and I'll dispose of it correctly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
That thing slams back and forth at whatever ridiculous velocity and you think a 1 foot fall onto carpet is going to damage it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You shoved the gas rings back just a touch further than they would normally go in battery and got into some carbon residue.  You didn't damage anything.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
A bolt carrier group is heat treated steel that is made to fire at the very least 6,000 rounds that each produces in the range of 55,000-60,000 pounds per square inch worth of chamber pressure. I personally don't see accidentally dropping it once will compromise it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I just can't see how a drop from a foot or two onto carpet would damage a BCG. Now if it was from the roof onto the driveway, Maybe. look it over and I'm sure its fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Haha thanks guys you make me feel much better now about it. I am sure it is fine. This is a fine forum.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:38:58 AM EDT
[#7]
You might break it if you had a 5 pound sledge to pound it with and a concrete surface to pound it on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought this was going to be a question about repairing a damaged floor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Guess how many times a boot camp rifle has had the bolt dropped on concrete and still qualified expert?  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

ETA your avatar always makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool. I'm sorry to bother you all with that question. I should know better than that. I was never in the mlitary though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone's just ribbing you. Never be afraid to ask a question.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Everyone's just ribbing you. Never be afraid to ask a question.
View Quote

Many good people in these forums OP.  You met a couple in this thread  (not me).  No dumb questions at all, I asked em all already .
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No. Junk. I'll PM you my address so you can ship it to me and I'll dispose of it correctly.
View Quote

This

Unless it was a concrete floor or something hard it is unlikely it would damage it. It's possible but very slim
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
well there is a lot of carbon in it but right now i have it soaking in slip 2000 725 degreaser then im gonna scrub it. i have 2 options for brushes, should i use a nylon brush, the one that came with my glock, or i have a complete set of brass brushes and a brash jig/jag that i filed down to a dull point that i use to scrape the carbon in the bolt carrier. and thanks for the welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top