Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 12:24:10 AM EDT

I have a factory AA 11.5" upper, and so far I am pretty dang happy with it, now I don't shoot a lot, just a half a mag here and their in the back yard. One day I was cleaning my 308 with copper solvent ( mil-tec  I think is what I was using ) and the barrel in that ar10 is a bhw 3 groove poly barrel, before I started cleaning it I think it had 50 -80 rounds on it. The patch came out clean, no discolor from the copper or any thing, I was kinda up set lol I though for sure the barrel was or had some copper fouling in it. so I grabbed my AA upper and ran a patch with the solvent down it, and the patch came out blue as all hell. I was thinking wow WTF that barrel is all jacked up and dirty. question is this, I have not tested the barrel with high power scope to see what kind of accuracy the barrel gets, I know it shoots and sighted in with aimpoint pro and it works for me, but should I switch to a polly rifled barrel due to less copper fouling, possibly better accuracy ? I know the aa barrel is qpq which makes it pretty much hard as nails, but whats the hive say ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about it.  Ive got a few AR's with a few thousand rounds through each and I've never used a bore cleaner on them.  I haven't had any accuracy issues.

Military AR pattern rifles almost never have bore cleaner ran through them and they function and shoot accurately.

I'm kind of wondering why you're using a bore cleaner on your .308 after only 50-80 rounds, seems unnecessary.

Either way it really is a non issue, especially on an 11.5" SBR with an AP Pro.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about it.  Ive got a few AR's with a few thousand rounds through each and I've never used a bore cleaner on them.  I haven't had any accuracy issues.

Military AR pattern rifles almost never have bore cleaner ran through them and they function and shoot accurately.

I'm kind of wondering why you're using a bore cleaner on your .308 after only 50-80 rounds, seems unnecessary.

Either way it really is a non issue, especially on an 11.5" SBR with an AP Pro.
View Quote

I like to keep my bores clean, especially if I wont be shooting to gun for a prolonged amount of time
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
The difference is the polygonal rifling.  It will not collect copper deposits nearly as fast as button rifling.  This is most likely your answer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The difference is the polygonal rifling.  It will not collect copper deposits nearly as fast as button rifling.  This is most likely your answer.
View Quote

yes I figured that.... would it be worth it to switch to a polygonal rifling ? longer strings between cleanings I think would be a nice advantage
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

yes I figured that.... would it be worth it to switch to a polygonal rifling ? longer strings between cleanings I think would be a nice advantage
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you absolutely have to clean out 50 rounds of copper fouling from your barrel before tossing it in the safe, then I would say yes.  I will restate my original opinion that you are wasting your time by using bore solvent after such a short amount of rounds.

There will not be any adverse affects on your 11.5" barrel from just leaving the minimal amount of fouling you'll have in it until the next time you shoot.  This is quite literally making a mountain out of a mole hill and it seems ridiculous to change a barrel because of it.

To each their own though, your money to do with as you please.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My reading skills suffer.  Sorry.  As for removing copper, your call.  But a lot of guys will not remove copper until it becomes an issue. Some say you remove the copper and it's starts building again the very next shot, then your barrel is off until it reaches the point where it quits building large deposits with every shot.  I don't know the "correct" answer, I just know I rarely remove copper from any barrels.  This seems to work for me.  Ymmv.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My reading skills suffer.  Sorry.  As for removing copper, your call.  But a lot of guys will not remove copper until it becomes an issue. Some say you remove the copper and it's starts building again the very next shot, then your barrel is off until it reaches the point where it quits building large deposits with every shot.  I don't know the "correct" answer, I just know I rarely remove copper from any barrels.  This seems to work for me.  Ymmv.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this may be true, i have no idea as i am not a professional, i just was thinking that the longer a barrel can remain foul free the better the accuracy. I do know that after i clean my 308 i have to take some fouling shots to get the accuracy back before i shoot a string of shots or test any ammo for groups,  another advantage i was thinking was because my 556 barrel is 11.5 i would get a few more FPS out of the ammo as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top