Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 3:13:52 PM EDT
I know this thread has been done before, but I didn't find the answers I was looking for.

1.  Does having a 10" rail or handguard make it easier to run an AR fully collapsed as compared to a shorter hand position?  I guess my question is can putting your support hand out farther make up for a bringing in your stock?

2.  Shooting 25 yards or more, does a stock position make a big difference in accuracy in YOUR experience?

I'm learning the platform and like to get advice/try new things at the range; so go easy.

Thx
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What I have noticed is that it depends more on your trigger hand.

Because fully collapsed without any body armor, or heavy clothing will have the wrist of your trigger hand at a steeper angle. So, if running the stock fully collapsed is comfortable for you while aiming nose to charging handle (NTCH), then run with it.

Another thing, with the steeper angle of the wrist, while aiming; I noticed for me anyways that the muscles in my forearm, bicep, and tricep flexed a lot more than with the stock brought 2 clicks out; causing my arm to fatigue sooner. Unless, my cheekweld was further back towards the rear of the stock, but doing this felt as though I was not pulling the stock into the pocket of my arm nearly as much when aiming NTCH.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never really found a longer grip with your support hand makes up for having my stock collapsed too far.

Now, don't take this as me saying that you have to have your stock extended to use the rifle.  If you're comfortable with it fully collapsed then that's perfectly fine.  If you're not comfortable, your firing arm will still be "crunched up" so to speak no matter how far forward on the handguard you're gripping with your support hand.

As to your other question, no, there is no "correct" stock setting for optimal accuracy.  Set the stock to whatever position is most comfortable for you while still allowing a proper sight picture (the sight picture part should really only matter with magnified optics that have a set eye relief.  Anywhere should be fine with an RDS.)

As for me, I prefer the second or third notch out depending on which stock is mounted on the rifle I'm using.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll get better leverage(control) running the stock extended and hand extended. This will not make you more accurate but it will allow you faster follow up shots and better weapon control.

Same idea with weapon retention, whoever has his hands on the inside will always typically lose.

Shooting NTCH is for shooting with iron sights, it has a place with optics in tight CQB shooting or ones with short eye relief but other than that, IMO, it's an outdated technique, just like the magwell grip. Sure it will "work" for you but work and work optimally are different.

If running a stock collapsed allowed for faster target acquisition and better weapon control then why do ALL competitive shooters run full length stocks?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll get better leverage(control) running the stock extended and hand extended. This will not make you more accurate but it will allow you faster follow up shots and better weapon control.

Same idea with weapon retention, whoever has his hands on the inside will always typically lose.

Shooting NTCH is for shooting with iron sights, it has a place with optics in tight CQB shooting or ones with short eye relief but other than that, IMO, it's an outdated technique, just like the magwell grip. Sure it will "work" for you but work and work optimally are different.

If running a stock collapsed allowed for faster target acquisition and better weapon control then why do ALL competitive shooters run full length stocks?
View Quote

While I'm sure "competition shooters" do gain an advantage in that type of shooting, I wouldn't apply it to all types of shooting.

From my personal experience, the extended stock and to a lesser extent the extended support hand "c-clamp" grip don't lend themselves to a lot of "tactical" style shooting where you're dealing with body armor, tight spaces, and having to hold your rifle in a firing position for an extended period.  Especially the having to hold your rifle in place for extended periods part, fatigue sucks.

Think of holding a ten pound weight in one hand.  Can you hold it up for a longer period of time with it clutched to your chest or with your arm fully extended?  Of course with it clutched to your chest.

Now, I'm not saying what you're suggesting is wrong.  Just trying to give OP a little more insight so he can tailor his needs to the type of shooting he wants to do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

While I'm sure "competition shooters" do gain an advantage in that type of shooting, I wouldn't apply it to all types of shooting.

From my personal experience, the extended stock and to a lesser extent the extended support hand "c-clamp" grip don't lend themselves to a lot of "tactical" style shooting where you're dealing with body armor, tight spaces, and having to hold your rifle in a firing position for an extended period.  Especially the having to hold your rifle in place for extended periods part, fatigue sucks.

Think of holding a ten pound weight in one hand.  Can you hold it up for a longer period of time with it clutched to your chest or with your arm fully extended?  Of course with it clutched to your chest.

Now, I'm not saying what you're suggesting is wrong.  Just trying to give OP a little more insight so he can tailor his needs to the type of shooting he wants to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

On a different side of competitive shooting there is High power folk, understanding how and why they shoot they way they shoot will also help with incorporating different techniques for different circumstances. learn them all and then use the proper tool for the job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed.

On a different side of competitive shooting there is High power folk, understanding how and why they shoot they way they shoot will also help with incorporating different techniques for different circumstances. learn them all and then use the proper tool for the job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Agreed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top