User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This one looks very good. And the price between it and the White Oak is pretty much a wash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This one looks very good. And the price between it and the White Oak is pretty much a wash.

I have this exact same barrel linked above, here is what it can do:

One outlier outside the bullseye.  Was shot with a vortex viper at 4x, 100 yard indoor range.

And I am by no means a good shooter.  Note the first four shots were within a 0.4" radius around the bullseye.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Honestly I do not feel that I will be shooting past 300 yards in the area I hunt in currently. There are a few places where one can make longer shots but it would be out of the ordinary.

What I wish it to do is Smaller Hog in the 100-140 yard Range and Coyote and Bobcat and maybe a Turkey up to 300 yards. Those Darn Coyote's are Quick lol.

I am really leaning towards this one by Rainier?  https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2892

Sorry if some feel I am being a bit of a pain. But this Build is important to me and I do not wish to make a mistake that I will regret. But then again I am sure many others feel the same about there builds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The barrel length has nothing to do with stabilizing bullets, twist rate does. Ask yourself how far you plan on shooting??? Personally, I think a 16" Recce type builds make the most versatile rifles.

Honestly I do not feel that I will be shooting past 300 yards in the area I hunt in currently. There are a few places where one can make longer shots but it would be out of the ordinary.

What I wish it to do is Smaller Hog in the 100-140 yard Range and Coyote and Bobcat and maybe a Turkey up to 300 yards. Those Darn Coyote's are Quick lol.

I am really leaning towards this one by Rainier?  https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2892

Sorry if some feel I am being a bit of a pain. But this Build is important to me and I do not wish to make a mistake that I will regret. But then again I am sure many others feel the same about there builds.

little late but i have that barrel now and its nice. im not that good of a shot but i defiantly say it was worth it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a book called The Marksmanship Primer. Read it. Read it again. Then buy a cheap barrel and good ammo. Then build a marksmanship rifle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a good thread. It seems there are a lot of very accurate and reliable barrels out there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I predator hunt with a 12.5", my advice is to go with the 16" for convenience.

I use the Rainer Ultra Match, it's a nice barrel for the money and would recommend it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I was sure I posted this. But I purchased a
Lothar Walther 16" Barrel Direct from Lothar Wather
Barrel Specs.
LW-50 Stainless Steel
Mid-Length Gas System
M4 Barrel Extension, with Extended M4 Feed ramps
1:8 Twist Polygonal Rifling, With .223 Wylde Chamber
1/2x28 Thread Pitch For Muzzle Device

Now I could sure use some help on a good shooting Bullet for general use?

Is the Hornady 55Gr Soft Point good for the 1-8 Specs as above?

Thank You.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was sure I posted this. But I purchased a

Lothar Walther 16" Barrel Direct from Lothar Wather

Barrel Specs.

LW-50 Stainless Steel

Mid-Length Gas System

M4 Barrel Extension, with Extended M4 Feed ramps

1:8 Twist Polygonal Rifling, With .223 Wylde Chamber

1/2x28 Thread Pitch For Muzzle Device

Now I could sure use some help on a good shooting Bullet for general use?

Is the Hornady 55Gr Soft Point good for the 1-8 Specs as above?
Thank You.
View Quote
You'll want to test various loads to see which your barrel likes. However, it should shoot well with about any good ammo you put through it, from 50+gr up to 77gr.

I've heard good things about the Hornady 55gr SPs. My loading mentor told me they fly well. I've loaded up some of them in the past, and considering I was using irons sights at 100 yards for load development at the time, they seemed to fly well for me (IIRC, 2-2.5" 10-shot groups). I'm sure with a scoped rifle, I could have shrank those groups down a bit.

For general use, Honrady 55gr FMJ-BTs seem to be popular, as they fly well and are relatively inexpensive.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
What happened to white oaks?
Great thread I'm in the same boat hard to make a choice when your a noob and there are a lot of choices.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]
How about an 18" barrel?  Stag is putting their 3G barrel on sale for 150 next week. Take the 100 bucks you save and get a good trigger. When this combo limits your ability you have become a marksman.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As said this will be my first build. Well first AR anything lol. And from what I understand after a bunch of reading is the barrel for the AR is what gives accuracy or not.

But also like many others I do not have funds falling out of my pockets sorry to say but I also do not wish to waste my time with a barn barrel.

So I have read some good reports on the White Oak Armament barrels as far as accuracy. But as stated I know pretty much O about this stuff so I guess you could say I am looking for the most accurate barrel for as little funds as possible? I know like everyone else lol.

What I am looking for is a 16" Barrel with a Wylde Chamber for 223/5.56 and a twist for say the 75Gr on up bullets that will fit in the AR Magazine.

Thank You everyone for your time and knowledge.
View Quote

Just get one of these if you don't want to spend a lot.  They shoot lights out.  Test fired a few and all have shot Sub-Moa with quality ammo.  Anything White Oak Armament makes is A-ok

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-16-m4-for-mid-length-gas-system-5-56-nato/

never mind I didn't make it to page 3
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top