Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2014 4:42:08 AM EDT
As said this will be my first build. Well first AR anything lol. And from what I understand after a bunch of reading is the barrel for the AR is what gives accuracy or not.

But also like many others I do not have funds falling out of my pockets sorry to say but I also do not wish to waste my time with a barn barrel.

So I have read some good reports on the White Oak Armament barrels as far as accuracy. But as stated I know pretty much O about this stuff so I guess you could say I am looking for the most accurate barrel for as little funds as possible? I know like everyone else lol.

What I am looking for is a 16" Barrel with a Wylde Chamber for 223/5.56 and a twist for say the 75Gr on up bullets that will fit in the AR Magazine.

Thank You everyone for your time and knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a WOA 18" rifle gas SPR barrel that is way more accurate than I am. Very good value with their barrels. Also there isn't really and "on up" from 75s as that is about the max for fitting in the mag.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank You Whhood.

But I thought for sure there would be much more interest and Barrel thoughts on this thread unless of course I asked probably one of the same old questions that many just do not wish to answer any longer?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going for an SPR or RECCE and you want to stay on a budget, WOA, Rainier, Compass Lake, etc., should all be good to go. This would be my personal choice for an SPR.

18"

and this for a RECCE.

16"

This should be more accurate technically speaking, but whether or not it's worth an extra $30-40 is up to you. They'll all be more accurate than you(or me), most likely.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This one looks very good. And the price between it and the White Oak is pretty much a wash.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you're going for an SPR or RECCE and you want to stay on a budget, WOA, Rainier, Compass Lake, etc., should all be good to go. This would be my personal choice for an SPR.

This should be more accurate technically speaking, but whether or not it's worth an extra $30-40 is up to you. They'll all be more accurate than you(or me), most likely.
View Quote

At this time I just do not feel comfortable with the Polygonal 5 Groove type of barrels. But the other one mentioned below by Rainierarms with the .223 Wylde Chamber looks darn good.

It seems as if there are many good barrels on the Market but I am Positive that the Good People of this Forum can help me wade through them.

Again Thank You
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm loving the accuracy of my Wilson Combat barrel so far and the pictures below are from my first day out with it at 100yards.  It's the 16" 1/8 Twist mid gas Recon profile so it's .740" after gas block and .840" under hand guard. Very nice weight and balance along with thicker profile for long shooting sessions. Shooting it out to 400yards for first time and it's silly accurate at that distance, almost boring. Greatest thing for me is it's accurate with everything from steel case Tula to Hornady 75gr bthp's

$275 or $325 with fluting  http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Recon-Tactical-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR%2D556RC16%2D18/

This is with Federal gold medal match 69gr 5-shots 100yards.

This is with Ultramax remanufactured 55gr Nosler's bullets also 5-shot 100yards.

This is five shots at 250yards, other two bullet holes hit directly above paper and was in the wood stand. Still incredible considering it's first time out off the bench using sand bags.

This picture is showing its true purpose in life and boost my confidence in its ability to take varmints but still be a nice SHTF package.
I had 1.5moa of drop dialed in for this shot and was on an extreme downhill angle so first shot came up short and my double tap got her on the run after I corrected POA.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Also forgot to mention I was set on a Wylde chamber and my first stainless barrel was a Wilson Arms (not Wilson Combat) full bull barrel. When I chose this Wilson Combat barrel I was disappointed to find they only had 556 chambers but I went with it and you can see my results in above post.

Don't get caught up in Wylde chamber hype like I did. Any reputable barrel maker/machinist such as the ones your looking at will be superbly accurate from them even if it's the 556 cut. The white oak barrels are what I have talked to high power shooters about and they love them so I will probably give them a try one day. They were not in stock when I built mine and I wanted the profile Wilson Combat provided so no buyers remorse
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This one looks very good. And the price between it and the White Oak is pretty much a wash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FWIW, I own several expensive Noveske barrels and my buddy has a Rainier Match. The Rainier shoots damn good, I would not hesitate to own one myself.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Rainier Match = Wilson Arms blank chambered by WOA
Rainier Ultra Match = Shilen hand polished blank chambered by WOA
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank You and that Means?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's explaining which companies make Rainier Arms's barrels. Shilen makes their Ultra Match, while WOA chambers it to Wylde. The Compass Lake barrels will be higher quality than the WOA for just a few dollars more, and you can customize them quite a bit more as well. For what it's worth, the military contracts Compass Lake to make some of their SPR barrels.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
While I am looking at Barrels is there a real benefit in the use of an 18" Barrel over a 16" Barrel?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

While I am looking at Barrels is there a real benefit in the use of an 18" Barrel over a 16" Barrel?
View Quote

You get a bit more velocity with the 18". This translates to a slightly flatter shooting rifle over longer distances, and a tad bit more more energy at all distances.

Are those important to you? And notice I said slightly, and a tad bit. Meaning, the differences are not huge. I'm guessing no more than 150-200FPS, maybe less, between the two.

On the flip side, the 18" will add more weight.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I am still open to ideas for a Good Accurate Barrel?

Thus far I have been looking at Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 MID  https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3075 ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thus far I have been looking at Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 MID  https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3075 ?
View Quote

Define accurate?

The barrel you posted will likely shoot 1MOA or better at 100+ yards with a good shooter and good match ammo. Is that sufficient for your needs?

I've been very pleased with my ADCO labeled White Oak 18" SPR barrel. It's a good MOA or better barrel, and I think I paid $250 for it. It seems they are now $275: https://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails.cfm?inventorynumber=105

If you want something even better, look at barrels from Lothar Walther. Many members here have posted some amazing groups from their barrels.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Define accurate?

The barrel you posted will likely shoot 1MOA or better at 100+ yards with a good shooter and good match ammo. Is that sufficient for your needs?

I've been very pleased with my ADCO labeled White Oak 18" SPR barrel. It's a good MOA or better barrel, and I think I paid $250 for it. It seems they are now $275: https://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails.cfm?inventorynumber=105

If you want something even better, look at barrels from Lothar Walther. Many members here have posted some amazing groups from their barrels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define accurate?

What are the thoughts of the one I posted a link for from Rainier?

They are $259.95
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They are $259.95
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define accurate?

They are $259.95

I'd rather have rifle length gas on a 18" but I'm sure they are very good barrel. Do you really need 18"? FWIW, I shoot my 14.5's out to 600 using my 75gr loads.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#19]
To be honest I know almost O about this stuff. Only what I have been reading.

Some say you can not go wrong with a 16" While others say that an 18" barrel will give 200 FPS or Better speed and help to stabilize the Projectile better. Even though I really do not think the 200 FPS really means Squat in the Grand Scheme of things.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#20]
The barrel length has nothing to do with stabilizing bullets, twist rate does. Ask yourself how far you plan on shooting??? Personally, I think a 16" Recce type builds make the most versatile rifles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The barrel length has nothing to do with stabilizing bullets, twist rate does. Ask yourself how far you plan on shooting??? Personally, I think a 16" Recce type builds make the most versatile rifles.
View Quote

Honestly I do not feel that I will be shooting past 300 yards in the area I hunt in currently. There are a few places where one can make longer shots but it would be out of the ordinary.

What I wish it to do is Smaller Hog in the 100-140 yard Range and Coyote and Bobcat and maybe a Turkey up to 300 yards. Those Darn Coyote's are Quick lol.

I am really leaning towards this one by Rainier?  https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2892

Sorry if some feel I am being a bit of a pain. But this Build is important to me and I do not wish to make a mistake that I will regret. But then again I am sure many others feel the same about there builds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Honestly I do not feel that I will be shooting past 300 yards in the area I hunt in currently. There are a few places where one can make longer shots but it would be out of the ordinary.

What I wish it to do is Smaller Hog in the 100-140 yard Range and Coyote and Bobcat and maybe a Turkey up to 300 yards. Those Darn Coyote's are Quick lol.

I am really leaning towards this one by Rainier?  https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2892

Sorry if some feel I am being a bit of a pain. But this Build is important to me and I do not wish to make a mistake that I will regret. But then again I am sure many others feel the same about there builds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

200 fps is HUGE for long range precision just play with some ballistic calculators to get an idea what I'm talking about.  For your purpose of no longer than 300 yards and hunting in the 100 to 140 yard range it isn't that big of a deal though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#23]
WOA are NOT what you are looking for...

Spend your money on THIS For the $319 you are getting a .5 moa capable barrel with the right ammo.  Me and many others have WOA barrels that will not group. People will say they are good, but their standard of "accurrate" isn't the same as mine. Mine wouldn't group below 1moa consistently..

That barrel I linked you to is a Lothar Walthar, the same stuff LaRue used in their OBR's before they started making their own.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Spend your money on THIS For the $319 you are getting a .5 moa capable barrel with the right ammo.  Me and many others have WOA barrels that will not group. People will say they are good, but their standard of "accurrate" isn't the same as mine. Mine wouldn't group below 1moa consistently..

That barrel I linked you to is a Lothar Walthar, the same stuff LaRue used in their OBR's before they started making their own.
View Quote

That Spikes Lothar Walthar 16" $299.95 not much more than the Rainier barrel.Looks darn nice.http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSB51603ML&name=Spike's+Tactical+Lothar+Walther+16%22++Mid-length+SS+Barrel&groupid=927&fprdct=1

I did like the part where they mentioned that Threads Cut Concentric to the Bore. As normally the center of the bore is Not the Center of the barrel.

But can someone explain the Polygonal Rifling? It just seems a bit odd to me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Actually Grim, I have to disagree with you here. I'm not sure why you down WOA so much, but he's looking to hunt. I hunt with my 18" WOA barrel, and it has proven to be a very accurate barrel on small game out past 350 yards. I recently went on a hunting trip to Arizona, and so long as I did my part with the field conditions (wind, etc.), my rifle was smacking very small prairie dogs (which are much smaller than the ground hogs here in Ohio) with ease. The longest confirmed kill was 372 yards. These are very small targets, which require a rifle (and Indian) that can shoot around 1MOA.

If he could get his hands on a WOA for a good price, it would serve him well for his needs. Some people only punch paper, which is fine. However, I feel seeing the true accuracy of a rifle or barrel comes from getting out in the field and hunting small game.

Good luck OP.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I got a Rainier Select 16" SS Mid-length in 1/8 twist from Joe Bob Outfitters got it in 2 days and the thing is amazing.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually Grim, I have to disagree with you here. I'm not sure why you down WOA so much, but he's looking to hunt. I hunt with my 18" WOA barrel, and it has proven to be a very accurate barrel on small game out past 350 yards. I recently went on a hunting trip to Arizona, and so long as I did my part with the field conditions (wind, etc.), my rifle was smacking very small prairie dogs (which are much smaller than the ground hogs here in Ohio) with ease. The longest confirmed kill was 372 yards. These are very small targets, which require a rifle (and Indian) that can shoot around 1MOA.

If he could get his hands on a WOA for a good price, it would serve him well for his needs. Some people only punch paper, which is fine. However, I feel seeing the true accuracy of a rifle or barrel comes from getting out in the field and hunting small game.

Good luck OP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP.

I'm just repeating my experience, which I have talked to others who share the same experience where they could never get their barrel to actually group well. Hung around 1 MOA, but never shot under it consistently. For the money, I personally would get that Lothar Walthar.

I am not actively looking for WOA threads to "shit on" here, but If I were to have been posting on here for recommendations for a precision barrel, and took the advice on a WOA, only for it perform like the one I have, I would be less then pleased
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm just repeating my experience, which I have talked to others who share the same experience where they could never get their barrel to actually group well. Hung around 1 MOA, but never shot under it consistently. For the money, I personally would get that Lothar Walthar.
I am not actively looking for WOA threads to "shit on" here, but If I were to have been posting on here for recommendations for a precision barrel, and took the advice on a WOA, only for it perform like the one I have, I would be less then pleased
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck OP.

Considering not too many shooters can consistently shoot sub MOA, including myself (and I would consider myself a "good" shooter), will spending an extra $50 - 100 on a barrel really make a difference? I'm of the belief that when comparing a 2-4MOA barrel to a 1MOA barrel, the answer is yes. But, when comparing a .5MOA barrel to a 1MOA barrel, with a shooter than can maybe shoot 1-1.5MOA, consistently, it becomes a moot point. I don't know the OP, so maybe he can shoot sub MOA consistently.

You have shown to be a very good shot from the groups I've seen you post. Much better than a large majority of members here. I never said you go around looking for threads to "shit on" WOA, but I have seen you post in many of the same threads I have, with negative comments about their barrels. You also called out us WOA barrel owners at one point.

I for one have found that my barrel seems to really like 55gr varmint loads, with the most recent factory load that I've tested being Australian Outback Ammo's 55gr BlitzKing. Using this load, I've posted write ups with 10 shot groups that measured 1.03MOA, and 5 shot groups that at .71MOA. I've shot larger groups too, however I attribute those larger groups to me, not the rifle, ammo, or barrel. Did you ever test anything other than 75gr or 77gr loads with your WOA barrel? Just curious.

The OP was asking about a barrel for hunting, which I do believe requires a "precision" barrel when shooting at small critters. The WOA SS barrels are sufficient for this, at least in my testing. They are also popular among high power and service rifle shooters. There's a reason for that, because they are accurate barrels, and many are shot out to 600 - 1000 yards.

The Lothar Walther barrels do seem to offer superior accuracy, from what I've seen you and others post. I have not tested any of their .223/5.56mm barrels, yet. My personal LW barrel, a Spike's ST-22 .22LR barrel, is very accurate as well. But, for the average guy, is it worth the extra coin? That will have to be up to them, but to come right out and tell the OP that WOA is "NOT" what you are looking for, I think is not a fair statement. Sure, we all have opinions, and we should share them. However, spend a little more time explaining your opinion. If the WOA and LW were the same price, I think then it would be a no-brainer to get the LW.

You are one of the very few posters on this site that I have a high level of respect for, and with most subjects I seem to agree with your posts. This subject however, is one of those where I don't.

Again, I wish the OP good luck. I think either way, you are going to end up with a good barrel that will serve you well, whether it has a LW, Rainer, or WOA roll mark. Shoot safe.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Considering not too many shooters can consistently shoot sub MOA, including myself (and I would consider myself a "good" shooter), will spending an extra $50 - 100 on a barrel really make a difference? I'm of the belief that when comparing a 2-4MOA barrel to a 1MOA barrel, the answer is yes. But, when comparing a .5MOA barrel to a 1MOA barrel, with a shooter than can maybe shoot 1-1.5MOA, consistently, it becomes a moot point. I don't know the OP, so maybe he can shoot sub MOA consistently.

You have shown to be a very good shot from the groups I've seen you post. Much better than a large majority of members here. I never said you go around looking for threads to "shit on" WOA, but I have seen you post in many of the same threads I have, with negative comments about their barrels. You also called out us WOA barrel owners at one point.

I for one have found that my barrel seems to really like 55gr varmint loads, with the most recent factory load that I've tested being Australian Outback Ammo's 55gr BlitzKing. Using this load, I've posted write ups with 10 shot groups that measured 1.03MOA, and 5 shot groups that at .71MOA. I've shot larger groups too, however I attribute those larger groups to me, not the rifle, ammo, or barrel. Did you ever test anything other than 75gr or 77gr loads with your WOA barrel? Just curious.

The OP was asking about a barrel for hunting, which I do believe requires a "precision" barrel when shooting at small critters. The WOA SS barrels are sufficient for this, at least in my testing. They are also popular among high power and service rifle shooters. There's a reason for that, because they are accurate barrels, and many are shot out to 600 - 1000 yards.

The Lothar Walther barrels do seem to offer superior accuracy, from what I've seen you and others post. I have not tested any of their .223/5.56mm barrels, yet. My personal LW barrel, a Spike's ST-22 .22LR barrel, is very accurate as well. But, for the average guy, is it worth the extra coin? That will have to be up to them, but to come right out and tell the OP that WOA is "NOT" what you are looking for, I think is not a fair statement. Sure, we all have opinions, and we should share them. However, spend a little more time explaining your opinion. If the WOA and LW were the same price, I think then it would be a no-brainer to get the LW.

You are one of the very few posters on this site that I have a high level of respect for, and with most subjects I seem to agree with your posts. This subject however, is one of those where I don't.

Again, I wish the OP good luck. I think either way, you are going to end up with a good barrel that will serve you well, whether it has a LW, Rainer, or WOA roll mark. Shoot safe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP.

I would say 1 moa to 0.5 moa is huge and well worth $50 to $100 if that is the difference in price between the two barrels.  I have no experience with either the WOA or Lothar Walther barrels, but if I were buying one today for an ar15 I would get the Lothar Walther.

I've heard a lot of good and read some bad about the WOA barrels.  I take a lot of that with a grain of salt because you never know all of the variables or the shooter.   I can't recall ever hearing anything bad about a Lothar Walther barrel on this forum though.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#30]
The fact is if you buy a stainless barrel from a known maker/vendor you're probably going to end up with a very good barrel. I think it would be harder to find a shitty barrel in the options we have available today. Pick one you like and fits your budget. You will also have to factor into your budget a quality trigger and ammunition for the best chance of success.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I am working on purchasing this Lothar Walthar 16"  http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSB51603ML&name=Spike's+Tactical+Lothar+Walther+16%22++Mid-length+SS+Barrel&groupid=927&fprdct=1

Is it a Good idea to also purchase there Matching Bolt Head?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:58:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I have bought a few bolts headspaced to my barrels and have never found it to matter as far as accuracy. However, it is good practice to start a new barrel off with a new bolt. If you already have a new bolt I wouldn't bother getting another one, unless of course you want a spare.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#33]
It is not a Complete BCG. It is just the Bolt Assembly. Since I know almost O about this stuff I thought there bolt would help with there Head Space?

Which brings me to the subject that I was looking to purchase a Complete Nickel Boron BCG.

If I get there Bolt then I would have to pull the Bolt that comes in the Nickel Boron BCG to replace it with there bolt?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:30:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It is not a Complete BCG. It is just the Bolt Assembly. Since I know almost O about this stuff I thought there bolt would help with there Head Space?

Which brings me to the subject that I was looking to purchase a Complete Nickel Boron BCG.

If I get there Bolt then I would have to pull the Bolt that comes in the Nickel Boron BCG to replace it with there bolt?
View Quote

Their headspaced bolt won't matter much, just buy the complete BCG that you want. You're over thinking this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:34:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Their headspaced bolt won't matter much, just buy the complete BCG that you want. You're over thinking this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to ask why you feel I am over thinking this?

Lets just say I thought it would be best to get there Bolt Head to cover myself for warranty if needed if it will not head space with another makers BCG?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Spikes has a lifetime warranty on the barrel and will take care of you if you have any issues with a defective product. Go ahead a buy a ST BCG if that's what you want but it really doesn't matter what brand you use.

This would be a solid choice.
https://www.wmdguns.com/shop-now/wmd-kits/m4-m16-ar-15-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-polished.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Are you purchasing a barrel with a bolt specifically matched to that barrel or are you just buying a bolt from the same manufacturer?   Most people just check with a go/no go gauge, but that just makes sure you are in spec and safe.  There may be a specific headspace within that range that provides better accuracy.

If you are looking to go beyond just a go/no gauge and are looking for a specific headspace measurement then you need something like this set:
Headspace gauges

My point is that even if you buy the spikes lothar walther barrel and a spikes bolt you should be within the go/no go range, but it will not necessarily result in improved accuracy over any other bolt that is within spec.  If you buy a bolt specifically matched to that barrel and they took the extra step to find the exact headspace beyond just passing a go/no go then maybe you would gain a small amount.  

There are other things like lapping the upper receiver to make sure it is square with the bore if you are looking to go that extra mile.  There is a lot you can do with the gun and reloading wise that may only gain you 1/8" to 1/4" moa over just putting it together with good parts and no extra steps.  The limitations of the platform will always be there no matter what you do so it's up to you if you want to go through all the work for that extra 1/8" or if you are even a good enough to shooter to notice that small amount.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#38]
As I understand it the Bolt is Matched to that Barrel.

But I will make sure of this first. If it is just a pull of the shelf bolt then I will forgo the bolt and just use a complete BCG.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

But I will make sure of this first. If it is just a pull of the shelf bolt then I will forgo the bolt and just use a complete BCG.
View Quote

The headspace will be set when the barrels extension is installed on the barrel. Your bolt will not be born with your barrel. The bolt is pretty much pulled off the shelf and checked for excessive slop(compared to several other bolts) which would be very small number if measured. In my experience, I have yet to find the bolt to make any difference in regards to accuracy with the AR-15.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think AIM has matched bolts for the Spike's branded LW barrels they are selling. I'm pretty sure in order to get the matched bolt, you have to order a barrel directly from Lothar Walther. And, that bolt is included with the price of the barrel, it's not an additional charge. I don't think they ship the barrels without the bolt, but I could be wrong.

If that barrel at AIM has the specs you are looking for, buy it. I'm sure it will serve you well.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't think AIM has matched bolts for the Spike's branded LW barrels they are selling. I'm pretty sure in order to get the matched bolt, you have to order a barrel directly from Lothar Walther. And, that bolt is included with the price of the barrel, it's not an additional charge. I don't think they ship the barrels without the bolt, but I could be wrong.

If that barrel at AIM has the specs you are looking for, buy it. I'm sure it will serve you well.

Good luck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I was not sure if I should post this and if It should not be here please by all means remove it?

But yes I am going to purchase said barrel direct. And no the bolt is an extra cost but by the owners own words they Match the bolt for a proper fit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was not sure if I should post this and if It should not be here please by all means remove it?

But yes I am going to purchase said barrel direct. And no the bolt is an extra cost but by the owners own words they Match the bolt for a proper fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Matching= reaching in a box of bolts to find the one that fits best to that barrel. What I am trying to tell you is, the very small amount of difference between one bolt to the next is so small it doesn't matter. I own two barrels that can shoot under a .5MOA. I could swap bolts and it won't make any difference, POI is the same.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Matching= reaching in a box of bolts to find the one that fits best to that barrel. What I am trying to tell you is, the very small amount of difference between one bolt to the next is so small it doesn't matter. I own two barrels that can shoot under a .5MOA. I could swap bolts and it won't make any difference, POI is the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Ok so I should forgo the $50.00 for just a Bolt and use that Money towards a complete BCG?

I hope I get a reply to this as I have found a Nickel Boron BCG on sale. :) Ok well with the things keep selling out when I wish to purchase I went ahead and purchased the PSA Nickel Boron BCG as it is on sale for $119.99. :)

Specs of BCG.

Nickel boron coated full-auto profile bolt carrier group.

Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel bolt
Shot Peened Bolt
High pressure tested
Mag particle inspected
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Gas Key Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
Gas Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
Tool Steel Extractor
Extractor Spring
Extractor O-ring Insert
PSA Logo

But the above question still remains if I should get the bolt from Lothar Walther?

If so I think I am all set as I received the info from Mr Woodall at Lothar Walther barrels to purchase said barrel. I sure hope it works out well?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#44]
It's never a bad idea to have a spare bolt. I keep one in the grip on my "go to" rifle. You could buy the one from LW or just buy one in a few months when you find a deal. You got the BCG so your good to go with your build.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I read this awhile ago, and you convinced me. I ordered one.

This sucker really shoots. I am not much of a bench shooter. I also don't spend a lot of time working up loads.
But, shooting prone with a bipod, using either KAC iron sights or an ACOG TA-31, and 77 grain SMKs; I frequently shoot 1 MOA groups at 200 yards. I can't help but to think that off a bench with real bench gear (pedestal, sand bags, better optics....) this barrel might shoot some really great groups.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's never a bad idea to have a spare bolt. I keep one in the grip on my "go to" rifle. You could buy the one from LW or just buy one in a few months when you find a deal. You got the BCG so your good to go with your build.
View Quote

Thank  You. I purchased the Bolt from LW with the Barrel for $264.00 shipped for the Barrel and Bolt. As I feel in the end you are correct in the fact it is always good to have an extra bolt. And figured $50.00 for a bolt is not all that bad. And it is a darn nice barrel I must say.

As soon as I fire this thing I will report back. But I am waiting on some Nosler 22 Caliber 60 Grain Partition Spitzers and will have to find some CCI-41 Primers then work over some Old Lake City Brass and start load up for hunting. :)
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm going off on tangent here. What does the phrase "the rifle is more accurate than me" that shows up in this thread a couple of times really mean?

Accuracy has three core variables: the mechanical limits of the rifle, the shooter, and the ammo. Assume the ammo is a constant. If you take a rifle that shoots a 1/2 moa off a machine rest and put it in the hands of a shooter that tends to put 1/2 moa of variability into his groups, your groups will be about 1 moa. If you put that same rifle in the hands of a shooter who puts 2 moa of variability into his groups, the rifle will shoot 2.5 moa groups. You can move the rifle numbers and the shooter numbers around all you want, and the principle stays the same. Any given shooter is only so good. Give him a more accurate rifle, and his group sizes go down. Give him a less accurate rifle, and his group sizes go up. Conversely, put the same rifle in the hands of two shooters, and the rifle's group size shrinks in the hands of the better shooter and expands in the hands or the poorer shooter.

All rifles will put a certain amount of mechanics-based variability into a group. The shooter will put another amount of variability in. No matter how good or bad the shooter is, his groups will benefit from a more accurate rifle and be harmed by a less accurate one. There is no magic point of accuracy in a rifle at which it no longer effects group size because of the shooter's abilities.

If the phrase "the rifle is more accurate than me" really just means that a better shooter can shoot the same rifle better, that's always true regardless of the rifle's accuracy. It goes without saying.

It looks like the OP has already picked a barrel. For what it's worth, I've got a WOA varmint barrel. About 2/3-3/4 of my five shots groups are under 1 moa. Maybe 25% are 1/2 moa. This is with factory ammo. The barrel prefers lighter bullets.

And just to kick the "how short is too short" hornet's nest, for any given bullet weight and twist rate combination, a bullet with a higher muzzle velocity will cover more distance before it destabilizes than a bullet with a lower muzzle velocity. It sounds like the OP's anticipated ranges are not long enough to get into this territory, so maybe it doesn't matter for him.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#48]
CTTB Good Going. And by the way you are Correct on both counts one is a more accurate Firearm no matter the shooters abilities is always better and the other count you probably did whack a hornets nest with a bat lol. But non the less it is still correct.

As far as Bullet selection I have some Nosler 60Gr Partitions on the way. As from what I have read they should work well and give less fouling of the barrel than the Barnes. But I may try some of the Barnes 62Gr TSX down the road.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#49]
By the same token, anything you can do to improve accuracy has a trickle down effect just like you mention.

Case in point: I shoot in Appleseed events. Most of the people there shoot 22s. The standard of accuracy in Appleseed is 4 MOA. That doesn't sound very good to a lot of people, however that is 4 MOA shooting from field positions with a sling: no bench, no bags, no bipods..............
Anyway, a guy posted on an Appleseed forum about the variability of .22 ammo accuracy. Especially bulk .22 ammo accuracy. He posted some tests he ran using various .22LR ammo and got a certain amount of grief over it. Appleseed is not a competitive shooting event. It's purpose is to teach marksmanship fundamentals and a lot of people involved don't want people to start trying to game it or get all wrapped up in the gear. It isn't about that. But, this guy clearly proved something that I already knew: a lot of bulk .22LR ammo isn't capable of shooting into 4 MOA. So, you can work on your fundamentals until the cows come home and you will never meet the 4 MOA standard if you arn't using a rifle and ammo that is capable of shooting 4 MOA. Even if you have a rifle and ammo that are capable of shooting 4 MOA you now have to add to that, the degree of accuracy you of a shooter are capable of. And since very few people are perfect, if the rifle and ammo are only capable of 4 MOA, you will never shoot a clean target. The better the rifle and ammo shoot, the more human error can be tolorated and still make the 4 MOA benchmark.

This really shouldn't be any big surprise but your groups on target are a combination of factors (as was pointed out in the previous post). You should always be trying to improve all those factors.
Another thing that I guess needs to be pointed out is that you may have a terrific rifle and fantastic ammo: but if you don't have the skills to use it, you won't hit your target or shoot tight groups. The biggest variable is the shooter. And if all you ever do is shoot from a bench for tight groups, you are not developing the skills needed to shoot without artificial support. The whole point of shooting from a bench or from a bipod or any kind of rest is to eliminate human error. Take away that rest and human error is going to play a major role in your shooting. These skills need to be developed just like your gear. Shooting from a bench is a skill set in and of itself and if all you ever intend to do is shoot from a bench, everything is good. But, I personally get more enjoyment out of adding the human element to it and shoot from positions other than from a bench and try to improve myself as well as the gear.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go to http://www.jsesurplus.com/18.aspx for 18" Wylde Wilson Arms and others.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top