Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 6:06:39 PM EDT
Ok so looking to do a new 8inch 300 BO build and am really looking at going with a monolithic upper for the build but cant really decide what route to go with it in regards to the upper.

I like the look of the Aero and like that I can change out for more or less rails as well as some of the specialty rails they have but I haven't seen one in person and haven't delt with Aero before or have anyone local that has used that upper.
Aero Claims a total weight of 22.3 ozs and runs $420
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/upper-receivers/cop-c4-ar15-continuous-optics-platform-carbine-kit.html

The Megalithic uppers I have seen and delt with before but was not a huge fan of how the handguards basically just bolted on vs being part of the actual upper receiver itself like the Aero and the Vis are.
Mega only had the rifle length listed for weight but it was in at 22.9oz and Rainierarms has them listed for $380
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=4198

The Vltor Vis KM is new, and haven't seen builds or really any pictures floating around of it. Not a huge fan of how it looks but if it functions well then I cant complain. I don't know if its a solid piece like the old ones use to be for the top but it appears to be so.
Vltor says 16.5oz but is running almost $600 for the upper.
http://www.vltor.com/product/vis-km-polylithic-upper-with-keymod/

As far as keymod vs non keymod I'm not really sure I want to change over anyhow as I have spare rail covers and an angled foregrip already so if I don't go keymod then I don't have to buy new stuff at all. Anyone have experience or shed any insight into the thought process they have with any of these uppers?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
no one has anything they can add or think about these uppers?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't really add anything except I'm in my own mind battle between the Mega MKM extended rifle length upper/rail and the Vltor MUR and a Noveske NSR or other 13-14" rail.

How much torque will you be putting on your rail? I'm thinkin MKM since mine will be used in 3 gun games and may be pressed a bit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The new megalithic (mts) is an absolute work of art. It is one solid piece of billet aluminum.  Only comes in rifle length which I'm not 100% certain the actual handguard length. Probably about 12 to 14 inches. Also is about 650.00 dollars

While I am a fan of aero and own there parts there cop platform is not a technically a monolithic upper but I don't think it matters. It bolted together is beefed up and it is very strong. The picantiny rail is monolithic but handguard pieces together. Probably not a big deal. Aero is also quite a bit cheaper and the ability to choose from different lengths and handguard sizes is nice.

I am on the fence between mega and aero for the same uppers you are considering. Both make solid products. Mega will likely have slightly better finish and will look best with a billet lower especially there gtr- 3h

Best of luck

I'd seriously consider aero. Good solid products and price. Personally I like the cop aero look and not many out there so it will likely be unique. Also it may fit your short barrel best
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Hadn't really thought about the torque factor with it basically being held together with screws for the hand guards. I like the new mega too but will be way too long for the short barrel application I'm looking at. I think I'm going to wait for a sale from aero and then pick up the cop. If I don't go that route I'll go back to searching for a seekins bar.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Black Friday will be here soon enough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top