Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 5:45:32 PM EDT
I've got a spare complete lower and stripped upper which I'm itching to do a Dissy build with. Unfortunately I can't find a Dissy barrel configured the way I want it (16", fixed FSB, 1/7 or 1/8,  chrome lined, middie gas).
I've scoured the net to no avail. Spike's no longer offers them on their site, Model 1 sales are carbine gas, PSA doesn't seem to sell the barrels and even then the FSB is a little big for the barrel, from what I've read.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Delton does not offer midlength gas Dissipator barrels - only rifle gas which I do not want. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out PK... They offer a few different brands in that configuration.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Check out PK... They offer a few different brands in that configuration.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. Searched their sight and nothing came up.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Delton does not offer midlength gas Dissipator barrels - only rifle gas which I do not want. Thanks for the suggestion though.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I bought a middy from them a few years ago and changed it to a dissy configuration this summer.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I bought a middy from them a few years ago and changed it to a dissy configuration this summer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. What exactly do you mean by changing it to a Dissy configuration?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are wanting a rifle length fixed type FSB, get a clamp on. You can run the mid length gas system with a low pro gas block, use the clamp on at rifle legth with rifle length hand guards.

Dave N
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took the middy handguard off and put on a rifle length KAC RAS  and used a low-pro gas block. I didn't do it, but you can get a clamp on FSB if you want to use irons.

why do you want the middy gas over the rifle gas?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Spikes AIM only GMP uppers are awesome if you can get it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you are wanting a rifle length fixed type FSB, get a clamp on. You can run the mid length gas system with a low pro gas block, use the clamp on at rifle legth with rifle length hand guards.

Dave N
View Quote
You're right. That's not an option I've looked into because I want a fixed FSB not a flip-up. So far the only clamp-on fixed FSB I've found is by Armalite. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Spikes AIM only GMP uppers are awesome if you can get it.
View Quote
Yeah I've seen those but I'm really looking for just a barrel right now since I already have the stripped upper.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You're right. That's not an option I've looked into because I want a fixed FSB not a flip-up. So far the only clamp-on fixed FSB I've found is by Armalite. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave N
When I was looking Armalite was the only clamp-on one I found too.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I took the middy handguard off and put on a rifle length KAC RAS  and used a low-pro gas block. I didn't do it, but you can get a clamp on FSB if you want to use irons. why do you want the middy gas over the rifle gas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I took the middy handguard off and put on a rifle length KAC RAS  and used a low-pro gas block. I didn't do it, but you can get a clamp on FSB if you want to use irons. why do you want the middy gas over the rifle gas?

I really want a fixed FSB but if I have to I've got a Troy 13" Alpha rail I can mount a fixed rail mount front sight on.

As for a gas system I don't fully trust a rifle length gas system on a 16" bbl. That said Delton doesn't offer a chrome lined bbl nor a 1/7 twist though I'd be happy with a 1/8.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I took the middy handguard off and put on a rifle length KAC RAS  and used a low-pro gas block. I didn't do it, but you can get a clamp on FSB if you want to use irons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a 16" barrel, rifle-length gas systems aren't a really good choice.  Too little dwell time.  So, the "mock dissipators" (as PSA calls them) use a carbine or mid-length gas system for reliability, but maintain the rifle-length forearm for the looks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
On a 16" barrel, rifle-length gas systems aren't a really good choice.  Too little dwell time.  So, the "mock dissipators" (as PSA calls them) use a carbine or mid-length gas system for reliability, but maintain the rifle-length forearm for the looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

Rifle gas dissys don't like minimum pressure Tulammo.  I just opened the gas port on mine to .125 to get it running steal, I haven't had a chance to take it out yet though.  Never had a problem at .110 running any brass rounds though.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave N

I got one from Primary Arms for half the price of the Armalite. Make sure you order the detent, spring, and front sight post with it.
Works great.

Dave N
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#17]
JSE surplus usually has the del-ton dissy barrel with fsb in stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

JSE surplus usually has the del-ton dissy barrel with fsb in stock.
View Quote
Thanks but Delton doesn't offer the features I want (see first post).

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got a spare complete lower and stripped upper which I'm itching to do a Dissy build with. Unfortunately I can't find a Dissy barrel configured the way I want it (16", fixed FSB, 1/7 or 1/8,  chrome lined, middie gas).

I've scoured the net to no avail. Spike's no longer offers them on their site, Model 1 sales are carbine gas, PSA doesn't seem to sell the barrels and even then the FSB is a little big for the barrel, from what I've read.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
View Quote

ADCO will pin a front sight base for you at the rifle length
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
That thought has crossed my mind but I will need to determine that the barrel I get (most likely BCM) has the proper size at that location.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That thought has crossed my mind but I will need to determine that the barrel I get (most likely BCM) has the proper size at that location.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You could have them cut down a 20" barrel, plug the front sight with a detent that also works as a pin to hold the front hand guard cap, then drill a new gas port at your preferred location.  It could be done with a heavy barrel reprofiled to .750 at the gas block location.

Alternatively a 16" Bull barrel could easily be turned to the desired diameter so it would look nice up front after the gas block is pinned.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the BCM 16" middie gov profile barrel have ADCO re-contour to .625 sight base get a .625 lo pro Ti gas block from V7 and .625 front sight base from BCM have ADCO put the whole together for you....you could have a nice mid gassed, light wt,well balanced dissy.

BCM standard middy with govt profile barrel $239
F marked FSB                                                         30
ADCO shop service pinning FSB                        90 (+ $15 if you want taper pins)
contour barrel in front of gas block                       55 (pin a low pro gas block)
V7 Ti pin on light wt gas block                              70
                                                                 Total    $484 (rough estimate)

Of course if you dont have an upper receiver,delta ring,barrel nut,end cap,and hand guards you'l have to shell out another $140 bucks or so
total would be in the neighborhood of $625 unless you got other parts to scrounge or find less expensive parts....

Not real bad if you end up with exactly what you want.

Here's an older pic of ADCO's "Cruiser" (aka dissy) upper.....

Magpul's new "Slim Line" hand guard would look good imo

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top