Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2014 9:28:18 PM EDT
Alright,
I was genuinely shocked here.  Years ago when Denny was selling his "Super Duty" BCGs they were genuinely thought to be "The Shit".  So, I bought three or four.  Fast forward almost 10 years, and I finally get around to using one for a build.  The guy putting my upper together (I don't have any of the proper tools etc) informed me that the carrier itself was dragging heavily and was out of spec.  His BCGs worked fine and mine dragged in his rifles too.  The bolt was GTG, just the carrier was out of whack.  

Since Denny's is gone, I'm stuck with an out of spec carrier (I've got others though).  

Anyone ever have any issues with the Denny's BCG?  Anyone know what make he used?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Could it be tolerance stacking?

Google is your friend!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of Denny's BCGs a couple of years ago shortly before his website disappeared.  It's not the IonBond version he was selling; it's the ThunderBolt M16 BCG with the GTS logo laser engraved on the side.  It looks very nice, but the inner diameter of the gas key may just be a hair undersized.  I've tested it with 3 or 4 different gas tubes and all of them fit really snug.  The same gas tubes have no problems fitting into the keys of my BCM (before they started laser engraving their logo) and Rainier Arms Nickel Boron bolt carrier groups.  Unfortunately, I don't know who actually manufactured his BCGs.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you explain the dragging better?        

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll double check when I get home.   For some reason I can't access MDShooters from work today.   Mine wasn't ionbonded either, it was one of the earlier ones
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Alright,
I was genuinely shocked here.  Years ago when Denny was selling his "Super Duty" BCGs they were genuinely thought to be "The Shit".  So, I bought three or four.  Fast forward almost 10 years, and I finally get around to using one for a build.  The guy putting my upper together (I don't have any of the proper tools etc) informed me that the carrier itself was dragging heavily and was out of spec.  His BCGs worked fine and mine dragged in his rifles too.  The bolt was GTG, just the carrier was out of whack.  

Since Denny's is gone, I'm stuck with an out of spec carrier (I've got others though).  

Anyone ever have any issues with the Denny's BCG?  Anyone know what make he used?
View Quote

Denny is coming back, I'll forward this to him and let him deal with you directly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#6]
That's great news!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one of Denny's BCGs a couple of years ago shortly before his website disappeared.  It's not the IonBond version he was selling; it's the ThunderBolt M16 BCG with the GTS logo laser engraved on the side.  It looks very nice, but the inner diameter of the gas key may just be a hair undersized.  I've tested it with 3 or 4 different gas tubes and all of them fit really snug.  The same gas tubes have no problems fitting into the keys of my BCM (before they started laser engraving their logo) and Rainier Arms Nickel Boron bolt carrier groups.  Unfortunately, I don't know who actually manufactured his BCGs.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ocsk8brdr/media/Arfcom/GTS-BCG_zps9fa6c2f2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/ocsk8brdr/Arfcom/GTS-BCG_zps9fa6c2f2.jpg</a>
View Quote

I have a Rainier Arms Thunderbolt I got in a complete upper.  I love it!  I waited for more to come back in stock, and then they dumped them for the new ones they have now.  So, I bought DD instead
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]
This is what the guy putting my upper together had to say.  He knows his stuff really well, so I have no reason to doubt him...

"There is one issue I'm noticing though, the BCG is dragging EXCESSIVELY when mocking it up into the upper. It gets about 5/8 of the way in, and then it binds up pretty hard - enough to where it may not lend itself to reliable operation.

I've ruled out the upper being out of spec, 3 diff't BCG's operate smooth as silk in yours. Your BCG also binds up in 3 of my own uppers - to varying degrees.

The bolt itself is good, but the carrier is definitely out of whack somewhere - appears to be the friction pads at the 5 and 7 o'clock on the bottom of the carrier."
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Denny did, in fact, make some of the best BCG in his day. Looks like a lemon slipped out though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Denny did, in fact, make some of the best BCG in his day. Looks like a lemon slipped out though.
View Quote

Kinda what I figured.  I purchased quite a few parts from him "back in the day" and he was always good to go and squared away
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is what the guy putting my upper together had to say.  He knows his stuff really well, so I have no reason to doubt him...

"There is one issue I'm noticing though, the BCG is dragging EXCESSIVELY when mocking it up into the upper. It gets about 5/8 of the way in, and then it binds up pretty hard - enough to where it may not lend itself to reliable operation.

I've ruled out the upper being out of spec, 3 diff't BCG's operate smooth as silk in yours. Your BCG also binds up in 3 of my own uppers - to varying degrees.

The bolt itself is good, but the carrier is definitely out of whack somewhere - appears to be the friction pads at the 5 and 7 o'clock on the bottom of the carrier."
View Quote

Something isn't right, the bore on an upper receiver is supposed to be the SAME DIAMETER internally all the way through.

The rails on the carrier are on the front third of the carrier, if it fits fine into the first half or more of the receiver it should be GTG.

It's sounds like a combination of Tolerance Stacking & and a out of spec upper Receiver.  The upper DEFINITELY has an issue if the bore in the receiver tapers (which from your post sounds like it does)
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Something isn't right, the bore on an upper receiver is supposed to be the SAME DIAMETER internally all the way through.

The rails on the carrier are on the front third of the carrier, if it fits fine into the first half or more of the receiver it should be GTG.

It's sounds like a combination of Tolerance Stacking & and a out of spec upper Receiver.  The upper DEFINITELY has an issue if the bore in the receiver tapers (which from your post sounds like it does)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upper is a brand new Aero Precision.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still, it appears that you have an out of spec upper receiver.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what bout his gunsmith's 3 uppers that do the same thing there, Sherlock?

The common denominator is the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#15]
5/8 of an inch in is not 1/2 of the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just heard from him again after asking if it wasn't the receiver.  

"The upper spec'd out just fine.
The problem is the carrier, the pad on the bottom right is machined slightly wider than average - .130" and below is what my BCG's are spec'ing out at for the width of that pad, your carrier is spec'ing out at .137" - that isn't a whole lot, but it's enough to jam up the BCG pretty solid."

FWIW this was before his BCGs were even laser etched.  I bought 'em in '07.   And I am not in ANY way bashing Denny.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're correct. But since reading is hard. Where does it say 5/8 of an inch?

OP: I think it's the inside diameter of the gas key as someone else was eluding to.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have known Denny for more than 20 years. For a number of years we shot matches at the same club.

He is a class act... and he has always stood strong for what he sells.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It gets about 5/8 of the way in, and then it binds up pretty hard

I would agree that the carrier apparently has an issue, but there is absolutely no doubt that the upper receiver is WAY out of spec if what you posted is completely correct.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn. I bought 2 of these for spares.

I guess I better try 'em out to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Width of the pad means nothing on a circle. Sounds like te key is binding on the gas tube. I would take the key off the carrier and try just the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Width of the pad means nothing on a circle. Sounds like te key is binding on the gas tube. I would take the key off the carrier and try just the carrier.
View Quote

Would be much quicker and easier to take gas tube out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This sounds like the most likely problem. The bore on the upper is round so the width of the bearing surface on the carrier should have no effect.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#25]
You know, after all the screwing around with various BCG's I've done (RCA, Mil-spec, Youngs, and other "enhanced" carriers), I really have come to the conclusion that a Colt mil-spec BCG works just fine. Could you do "better"? Maybe. But we KNOW a Colt is G2G.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top