Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2014 11:12:22 PM EDT
Hello,

I'm working on my first build and the first order of business is the barrel. I'm looking for:
16" 1:8
Polygonal rifling
Mid-length gas
Nitrided finish
11595E steel
556 nato chamber
HPT/MPI tested
M4 feed ramps
1/2-28 Threaded Muzzle
Preferably with a low profile nitrided gas block installed, if not, a dimpled barrel for the block screw would do as well

If anyone knows of a reputable vendor offering exactly the above, I would very much appreciate the link.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello,

I'm working on my first build and the first order of business is the barrel. I'm looking for:
16" 1:8
Polygonal rifling
Mid-length gas
Nitrided finish
11595E steel
556 nato chamber
HPT/MPI tested
M4 feed ramps
1/2-28 Threaded Muzzle
Preferably with a low profile nitrided gas block installed, if not, a dimpled barrel for the block screw would do as well

If anyone knows of a reputable vendor offering exactly the above, I would very much appreciate the link.
Thank you!
View Quote

Here is one option:  it is melonited which is another word for black nitride.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=120
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the links! I like the sonic weapon's barrel, currently waiting to hear from them whether the melonite treatment was done only to the inside or outside as well. I'd prefer the latter.

In terms of price, what is the average price of a barrel like this? What is considered a good deal/price gouge?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the links! I like the sonic weapon's barrel, currently waiting to hear from them whether the melonite treatment was done only to the inside or outside as well. I'd prefer the latter.

In terms of price, what is the average price of a barrel like this? What is considered a good deal/price gouge?

Thanks!
View Quote

It says right in the specs...melonite finish/bore.

Bore = inside of barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never seen a bore only nitriding.  Please post one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
It is not just the bore.  Don't know what is so difficult about reading.

Again...the specs read as follows: Melonite finish...that would be the outside.  bore...well that should speak for itself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a nice barrel and close to your specs...https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3279
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Black Hole Weaponry: http://www.shop.blackholeweaponry.com/556-223-Wylde_c504.htm

Stainless steel, nitrided, polygonal rifling. They make the Rainier Arms barrels mentioned above. If you buy directly from them you can select whatever barrel profile, fluting, etc., that you want. They have an excellent reputation for accuracy.

The nitride finish looks like a parkerized finish. I had mine Cerakoted, you could also have it removed if you are looking for a ss finish.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I've just called BHW and they no longer offer nitrided finish. Looks like people have been complaining about it's performance. Any thoughts on that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top