Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2014 6:18:19 AM EDT
This thing really looks good but I'm hoping to read some opinions on it before I order one.  Doesn't seem like a lot of people have the keymod one yet but their other Pro model is pretty popular.

https://www.primaryarms.com/UTG_PRO_AR15_15_Super_Slim_Free_Float_Keymod_Comp_p/mtu019ssk.htm?CartID=1
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have it installed in one of my uppers. It locks good and feels light. I find the keymod slots to be a little sharp when you run your hand through the rail unlike my other keymods. The rail thickness also seem to be thinner compared to my other rails. I haven't ran it hard yet but for typical range use, it should be fine. IMO it's a good rail, but time will tell. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have it installed in one of my uppers. It locks good and feels light. I find the keymod slots to be a little sharp when you run your hand through the rail unlike my other keymods. The rail thickness also seem to be thinner compared to my other rails. I haven't ran it hard yet but for typical range use, it should be fine. IMO it's a good rail, but time will tell. Hope this helps.
View Quote

Yeah that's great, thanks!

Any chance you have a pic of your gun?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I tend to ignore most of UTG's products these days. I have heard that they are manufacturing some products in the USA now and that is a good thing. But my honest opinion is there are better products to be had for a few more bucks. But if it fits you and your needs, who am I to say that it isn't right?

NCH
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
SORRY for the double post.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I tend to ignore most of UTG's products these days. I have heard that they are manufacturing some products in the USA now and that is a good thing. But my honest opinion is there are better products to be had for a few more bucks. But if it fits you and your needs, who am I to say that it isn't right?

NCH
View Quote

I'm seeing people drop more expensive rails for the new UTG pro series so they can't be all that bad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The biggest problem with UTG Pro is that they haven't changed their name.  Whenever people hear UTG, they think foreign made or gun show special.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NCH
View Quote

So you have no experience with the USA made products but know there are better products available. Gotcha.

OP, Its made in America, give it a shot. If you end up not liking it, I'm sure you would have no problems selling it on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The biggest problem with UTG Pro is that they haven't changed their name.  Whenever people hear UTG, they think foreign made or gun show special.
View Quote

Agreed.  Whether or not the stuff is "just as good as Daniel Defense" or not, you have to wonder if the word will really every get out enough to end that stigma, and have those guys take a 2nd look.

The product is vehemently defended by a few guys around here, and it lends to some pretty interesting threads

I have no experience with UTG, other than some crooked ass junk I saw at a gun show a while ago.  The pictures look nice, though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, haven't used this rail but have used utg products and never had a problem what I've bought.  It's a fact (validated by numerous studies) that people equate value with price and since utg is cheaper, people instinctively think it's not good.

Tell you guys what, that op1 bipod is great for $25

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The PRO series seems to be pretty solid but the stigma of the UTG name makes people automatically write it off as more garbage.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Buddy-

I haven't run that rail, but several years ago I ran a UTG on one of my carbines.  It was the kind that extended past the regular A2 front sight.  The rail was actually very good, and locked up solid and stayed tight for several years, including a few carbine classes.  I eventually sold it and went with a more slim VTAC rail when those first got popular, but would have no qualms running the one you linked.

I think the early UTG stuff was pretty shady, but they've gotten better.  Still probably not as good as the really top shelf stuff in terms of part to part quality control and fit and finish, but still probably gtg for the typical civilian user.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I recently installed the non keymod UTG pro super slim 15", very easy to install, lined up perfectly with my upper and locks up solid. Overall I'd say the quality is VERY good, the barrel nut design is nice in that you don't have to index for the gas tube, just the large slots so that the insert that the rail bolts to lines up. On mine I had to torque to 45ftlb for the slots to align correctly allowing all 3 sets of mounting bolts to align with the insert, no barrel shim needed. The included barrel nut wrench is not bad at all, I've seen some say that it's "soft" but I didn't see that in mine... worked perfectly and I torqued and re-torqued mine 4 times before settling on 45ftlb's when everything lined up correctly.
If I had to say anything bad it would be the that the screws have that HARD blue thread locker pre applied and the included 3mm allen wrench seems like the typical poor quality type, it may not be but I use my Proto 3mm allen anyway, as for the thread locker I just used my dremel with a soft wire wheel to buff off the blue crap and then used regular blue Loc-tite.

If weight matters... my 15" rail with barrel nut, screws and all 3 rail sections came in at 14.5oz. My mid length HG's and barrel nut W/delta ring came in at 11.5oz. . now I didn't have a low pro GB... I shaved my standard FSB. The top portion I cut off was nearly 2oz!!! add in the bayonet lug, sling mount and the clean up grinding I'll bet I took off 2.5-3.0oz off total. in other words... the rail didn't add or remove any weight for me, I do like the THIN profile, feels good in the hand.

All in all I'm pleased with the Rail, good quality and the price point is nice, the only thing I'm not sure of is how well the finish will hold up... time will tell but I'd buy another

John
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, that and it shouldnt be an all or nothing game. Tapco and UTG are both companies im my mind that actually make some really great products for a great price, that well, also fall short on some others. Just do your homework before you buy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I just ordered the UTG from Primaryarms.com.  Looking forward to trying it out.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top