Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 5:18:03 AM EDT
whats the difference?

i heard a muzzle break directs the gases towards you which makes it much louder and opposite the recoil to counter it.
i heard the linear comp directs the gases outwards (linear) and helpss reduce the recoil just as much but isnt as loud.

my rifle is mainly a SHTF or some terrorists try to invade i want to be able to makemuch quicker follow up shots.

thanks for all that you guys have done for me on this sight!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It is my understanding that a linear does help to keep the muzzle down, but increases the rearward recoil.  Also, since it is directing the gases away from you, it will not be as loud to the person behind the weapon.

I have also heard that, for the most part, they are a waste of money.

ETA:  I have no experience with a linear compensator, the above is just what I have read on various websites, so take it with a grain of salt, or two.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Not including suppressors:

Brake
Best - Muzzle Climb reduction, Recoil
Good - Nothing
Bad - Nothing
Worst - Concussion, Flash

Comp
Best - Nothing
Good - Recoil, Muzzle Climb reduction
Bad - Concussion, Flash
Worst - Nothing

Flash Hider

Best - Flash reduction
Good - Concussion
Bad - Recoil
Worst - Muzzle Climb reduction

Flash Comp Combos
Best - Nothing
Good - Flash Reduction, Concussion, Muzzle Climb reduction, Recoil
Bad - Nothing
Worst - Nothing
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
whats the difference?

i heard a muzzle break directs the gases towards you which makes it much louder and opposite the recoil to counter it.
i heard the linear comp directs the gases outwards (linear) and helpss reduce the recoil just as much but isnt as loud.

my rifle is mainly a SHTF or some terrorists try to invade i want to be able to makemuch quicker follow up shots.

thanks for all that you guys have done for me on this sight!!
View Quote

With any muzzle device you have a series of pro and cons. A muzzle brake is designed to mitigate muzzle rise, torquing, etcetera, to allow for minimal sight picture changes during rapid fire. The draw back to a brake is usually the concussion to the sides and to the shooter are increased over that of a bare muzzle. In many cases the flash is quite high as well.

Flash hiders, like the standard A2 flash hider, are designed with the intent to suppress the flash of a weapon. Other aspects like recoil patterns, and blast patterns aren't the main focus.

Linear comps are designed to mainly address muzzle blast/concussion. They work by redirecting the muzzle blast forward. Applications where a linear might be a better choice over other comps would be in CQB, SBR's, AR pistols, prone shooting, roll over prone shooting, firing from under a car, varmint hunting etc.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when picking a muzzle device, is to decide what negative aspect of the shot you want to negate. Understanding what the device is meant to do will keep you from having buyers remorse once you choose!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The caliber being shot and shooting mode would matter also.  For anything 308 or smaller, I prefer a linear comp as it's much quieter and I can dump a mag full auto w/o much muzzle rise.  For 308 or bigger, I use a muzzle brake only with full auto as it greatly helps muzzle control; the increased noise with the brake is not worth the trade off in semi or bolt gun use so on these I use a comp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top