Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2014 6:45:27 PM EDT
I am thinking of converting my rifle to 6.5.  I want a long ranger and don't want to shell out the cash for a 308 so this seems like a good option.  What barrel brand/length would you recommend?  I would like something that can reach out to 1,000 yards but most shooting will be done between 100 and 500 yards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Black hole weaponry 18" middy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Noveske makes some interesting 6.5 barrels now. Worth a look maybe.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with a 20" Lilja, no regrets what so ever. Give them a call, they probably have 6.5 barrels in stock
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with a 20" Lilja, no regrets what so ever. Give them a call, they probably have 6.5 barrels in stock
View Quote

How are your groups?  What ranges are you typically shooting at?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
JP rifles stainless barrel.  I built one on this barrel.  This is a TOP DOG.  You will pay for it, but dang it is good.  Stacked them at 200 yds with Hornady off the shelf.

IM in bound
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't shot too many different bullets yet, but it shoots the 100gr Ballistic Tips good and the 123 Scenars great. I have only shot it out to 300 or so meters so far my time has been extremely limited lately. I'd say the Noslers were gruping around .6 MOA consistently while the last group I shot with the Scenars was one ragged hole.

I did have trouble finding a good load for 100gr TTSX bullets, I eventually just went back to the Noslers. It was my first time loading the Barnes and it may have been my fault, who knows.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I haven't shot too many different bullets yet, but it shoots the 100gr Ballistic Tips good and the 123 Scenars great. I have only shot it out to 300 or so meters so far my time has been extremely limited lately. I'd say the Noslers were gruping around .6 MOA consistently while the last group I shot with the Scenars was one ragged hole.

I did have trouble finding a good load for 100gr TTSX bullets, I eventually just went back to the Noslers. It was my first time loading the Barnes and it may have been my fault, who knows.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow that sounds very impressive.  I am starting to lean towards a midrange barrel like the Lilja instead of the high end offerings like krieger.  I am pretty new to the sport and don't think that my skill level is here it needs to be to appreciate and take advantage of the precision offered in a krieger level product.... I am thinking that is something to work my way up to with a few years of trigger time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Although I'm a fan of Krieger and nice cut rifled barrels, I wouldn't consider lilja to be mid-quality. Button rifled barrels from top end manufacturers are stress relieved and hand lapped.
You can't go wrong either, IMO
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Great info thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
JP rifles stainless barrel.  I built one on this barrel.  This is a TOP DOG.  You will pay for it, but dang it is good.  Stacked them at 200 yds with Hornady off the shelf.  

IM in bound
View Quote

+10000000
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#11]
For the JP barrels which length + Contour is recommended?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#12]
My build was a 22" med contour.  I think that setup is good for maximum range out of that cartridge.  One of the shorters may also work.  My only experience is with 22" though.  Man is that a righteous stick!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know who the original manufacturer is for JP barrels or brownells?  Also any experience with the later?  They seem to be a much cheaper option than JP.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have learned that midways "AR Stoner" barrels are made by Liberty which is a division or Satarn.  They are a really good deal compared to the competition... any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Word on the street is Wilson.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I have read (6.5 forum and beyond 5.56) that while Wilson does make barrels for JP, the 6.5gs are made by Jilja.  Apparently AR-Stoner (midway) are made by Liberty (Satarn).   I dont know the source of Brownells.  Note: the retailers mentioned above source barrels from different OEM depending on stock and price, so the info provided may not be accurate and is subject to change.

Quoted:
Word on the street is Wilson.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have learned that midways "AR Stoner" barrels are made by Liberty which is a division or Satarn.  They are a really good deal compared to the competition... any thoughts?
View Quote

Not sure about barrels but most AR Stoner stuff is crap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top