Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 9:10:07 AM EDT
A Dealer has some chrome BCG's for sale at $ 225. I am not to familiar with Chrome but Young also sells them but do you get all the great things that a NIB has to offer?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
That's really expensive... You can get NiB for less than half that.

IIRC, NiB also has a lower coefficient of friction than chrome. Chrome does not discolor like NiB is prone to doing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#2]
AIM Surplus Nib bcg for $99 ftw.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
They clean up nice.  I am happy with my Daniel Defense chrome BCGs
OP I thought you worked for a BCG manufacturer?  Am I thinking of another guy with that avatar?

Dirty chrome

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]
How you likin that DD chrome BCG? I wanted one but wasn't sure about going SA. Me being paranoid I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They clean up nice.  I am happy with my Daniel Defense chrome BCGs
OP I thought you worked for a BCG manufacturer?  Am I thinking of another guy with that avatar?

Dirty chrome

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/IMG_2101_zpsc3adb3d2.jpg
View Quote

Barrel Manufacturer
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I put the SAs in barrels that were not over gassed.  Running H2s and Sprinco Blues make up for it.
That one in the picture is a 12.5 SBR and it smooth with perfect ejection.

I have 8 rifles with FA BCGs and those 2 SAs.  If you set them up right you are fine.  I trust Daniel Defense and bucked the paranoia
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A Dealer has some chrome BCG's for sale at $ 225. I am not to familiar with Chrome but Young also sells them but do you get all the great things that a NIB has to offer?
View Quote

chrome is used for training purposes

duty BCGs are parkerized or phosphate coated.

you will never see a chrome BCG downrange
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

thats what I was thinking....... seems to good to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aim's are G2G, and for that price, why the F would anyone pay more?  

I think I got mine for $89 free shipping last time they had them on Crazy Eddie sale.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor will you see NiB, Black nitride or any other magical BCG coating.  Are you saying quality Hard chromed BCGs made with the right steel such as Youngs or Daniel Defense are prone to failure?

He asked for benefits, and I can attest that the 2 DDs I have are easier to clean, and stay cleaner longer than my park'd or phosphated BCGs.  No big deal.  They all work great for me
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 3 RRA chrome BCG's and they are great.   They can be had for $155 shipped from a vendor in the EE.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems expensive

+1 for AIM Nitride

Heck get two for less than that there chrome job.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple of these and they've been great.

http://www.stonefire-arms.com/view/product/1073/
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI, back in the day colt had chrome bcgs in m16s for awhile and they were issued equipment. You can still find them from time to time for much monies. So no chrome isn't just for range toys and yes it's slippery and good ones clean up easier than nib.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
An issue with Chrome or NiBoron BCGs is that these two have “plating” applied to the BCG parts. So to keep the BCG “in spec” the parts need to be a specific dimension smaller than the final part spec.; and the plating process needs to be carefully controlled so that the final product/parts are in spec. For this reason Chrome and NiB BCGs should only be purchased from a highly regarded vender/parts-house.

On the other hand Nitride is a treatment of the metal surfaces, not a plating, so whatever dimensions the BCG parts start out as you end up with. That said you should still use a reputable vender/parts-house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#16]
My RRA Coyote rifle came with the upgraded chrome bolt.  It does clean up easier at the end of the day over the phosphate or park finish.  You can get 95% of the bolt clean with a paper towel.  I do like that.  However with all things bright and shinny (well more dull) no, I wouldn't carry a duty gun in the woods with a chrome bolt
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#17]
If you by a Youngs from Rainier, they stake them for you., fwiw. Voids the Young warranty but I'm sure rainier would take care of any issues that may arise.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nor will you see NiB, Black nitride or any other magical BCG coating.  Are you saying quality Hard chromed BCGs made with the right steel such as Youngs or Daniel Defense are prone to failure?

He asked for benefits, and I can attest that the 2 DDs I have are easier to clean, and stay cleaner longer than my park'd or phosphated BCGs.  No big deal.  They all work great for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this comment. Obviously they don't issue chrome or nib BCG's but I've seen officers that use them in duty rifles plenty of times.

I'm not sure what the purpose of your original comment was....

On another note, I just bought a Young national match and it appears to be top notch. Great machine work and craftsmanship.

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I would take a chromed BCG before a NiB one.
for reasons already stated
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top