Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2014 8:42:26 PM EDT
I'm currently in the process of doing my first build which will be my first AR15 rifle.  I've been reading and googling and I think my head is ready to blow.  Since this is an entry level rifle and a learning experience for me I've been looking at some lower price point upper assemblies.  Here is what I've got so far

Anderson lower with PSA blackhawk lower build kit

Here are my front runners for uppers

Radical Firearms 16" M4 profile

Red X Arms 14.5"

I also had a PSA upper that I wanted but can't find it now so it's probably buried with all their other out of stock assemblies.  Any experience with these or better guidance?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at the offerings at MAS Defense...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you plan on changing the flash hider on the red x to a longer and permanently attaching it? If not, your rifle would be illegal in that configuration unless you register the lower as an sbr.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:34:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're relatively new to the AR world, I'd suggest getting something quality first. I've seen multiple reports of Red X barrels coming apart from the extensions. Not only that, but that length is illegal if you don't pin a longer flash hider/brake or get a tax stamp.

The Radical Firearms uppers are still relatively new and don't have many reports out. The barrels are not chrome lined - that's about all I know.

I'd go with a plain old PSA mid length upper or a BCM upper now that they've got the sale where all uppers come with BCGs and if it's 16'' also a Mod 0 Comp. Since their BCGs are usually $170 and comps are $90 or so, the "overall price" of the upper is under $200. Very good deal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going with the old standby:  Colt for <$1,000; PSA had 'em for $800 last week.

You'll be glad you did:  quality plus resale value.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm with the buy a complete rifle or complete upper and lower and put them together crowd.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you plan on changing the flash hider on the red x to a longer and permanently attaching it? If not, your rifle would be illegal in that configuration unless you register the lower as an sbr.
View Quote

Didn't even think about that.  We will throw that one to the no pile
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you're relatively new to the AR world, I'd suggest getting something quality first. I've seen multiple reports of Red X barrels coming apart from the extensions. Not only that, but that length is illegal if you don't pin a longer flash hider/brake or get a tax stamp.

The Radical Firearms uppers are still relatively new and don't have many reports out. The barrels are not chrome lined - that's about all I know.

I'd go with a plain old PSA mid length upper or a BCM upper now that they've got the sale where all uppers come with BCGs and if it's 16'' also a Mod 0 Comp. Since their BCGs are usually $170 and comps are $90 or so, the "overall price" of the upper is under $200. Very good deal.
View Quote

I haven't been able to find much on the Red X stuff so thanks for the info.  PSA really had one that I liked but can't find it now that's in the out of stock group
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm with the buy a complete rifle or complete upper and lower and put them together crowd.
View Quote

+1 I'm with this idea as you are to new to the platform and hard to know what you want in terms of parts. Get a new Colt for a good price and shoot til you figure out what you like and dislike. Colt is THE standard of AR"s. Quality Parts, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1 I'm with this idea as you are to new to the platform and hard to know what you want in terms of parts. Get a new Colt for a good price and shoot til you figure out what you like and dislike. Colt is THE standard of AR"s. Quality Parts, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My lower is all put together and waiting for an upper so I'm not currently interested in scraping it to buy a colt
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Rainier Arms has a one day sale today only, check it out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top