Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 6:07:02 PM EDT
Looking for a compensator for my 5.56, looking for some thing that isnt too pricey either. Looking to tame the already subtle muzzle climb of the 5.56. What do yall got?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the fortis red. It works great and not to pricey while looking good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a BCM comp which works very well with recoil/flash for me.

Around $100 bucks.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:15:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Rainier Arms RAC would be a good option, $69.95 shipped from AIM.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been very happy with the BCM Comp.  Very good comp for the money.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looking for a compensator for my 5.56, looking for some thing that isnt too pricey either. Looking to tame the already subtle muzzle climb of the 5.56. What do yall got?
View Quote

Have you weighed the pros and cons of a compensator?  They are much louder and less effective at hiding muzzle flash than the A2 FH. I went with a compensator on my first AR but found they can be uncomfortable even with ear pro.  I decided to go with the A2 FH on my 2nd AR.  Also the A2 FH already ports the gases up so not sure how much benefit you'll get going with a comp for muzzle rise.

This link also convinced the A2 flash hider is the best bang for the buck.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/09/ar15-muzzle-brakeflash-hidercompensator-comparison-part-3/
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you weighed the pros and cons of a compensator?  They are much louder and less effective at hiding muzzle flash than the A2 FH. I went with a compensator on my first AR but found they can be uncomfortable even with ear pro.  I decided to go with the A2 FH on my 2nd AR.  Also the A2 FH already ports the gases up so not sure how much benefit you'll get going with a comp for muzzle rise.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/09/ar15-muzzle-brakeflash-hidercompensator-comparison-part-3/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BCM comp is as loud as a .308 with an A2 imo.

Just some info for OP.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
SJC Titan

It'll feel like you are shooting a 22 but sound like a 308. They run around $90 on various sites
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This will be on my next on.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Griffin comp... sounds like it meets your requirements. At $85 or less you can't go wrong. Good muzzle control without a significant increase (over A2) in concussion or flash.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one on my 3 gun rifle. I like it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Griffin comp... sounds like it meets your requirements. At $85 or less you can't go wrong. Good muzzle control without a significant increase (over A2) in concussion or flash.
View Quote

Here is your answer
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Here is your answer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is your answer

I put one on my 12.5" and while it is louder to me than an A2 and has more flash it is much, much better than the brakes I have been next to at the range.  I plan on getting one for my 11.5" as well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Battle Comp

or

Surefire Brake

Both super effective. But hello dolly, is the Surefire a mother f----- at an indoor range. And a hell of a thing to stand next to.

I'm glad mine is welded on a good 14.5" out in front of me.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I put one on my 12.5" and while it is louder to me than an A2 and has more flash it is much, much better than the brakes I have been next to at the range.  I plan on getting one for my 11.5" as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is your answer

Griffin says the shorter the barrel, the reduced effects of the flash hiding and concussion for the device. Just and FYI.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#16]

My xtc's work good and for the 40 bux or so i paid for them they work fine, moderately loud, my rac comp is maybe a hair better, but is much more concussive especially to the shooter. just something i noticed between these 2.

Next builds i have the new ra flash hider and a vg6 epsilon to play with..Heard many good things on the vg6 brakes , so excited to see how they work..
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Comp/Brake = Smith Enterprise Good Iron (#1002 - Good Iron 5.56mm/6.5mm/6.8mm/.30cal Muzzle Brake)
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products07.html

scroll down the page

Flash suppression (especially SBRs) = STD
http://www.atomictactical.com/std-5-56mm-simple-threaded-device-black/

Per usual, shop around for the best price/shipping combo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Of all I tried sure fire worked the best
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one of these too, and I like mine very well. It is a cheap, great option.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#20]

full auto

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I shoot out side, dont care about flash, care about accuracy/recoil i want a comp
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I shoot out side, dont care about flash, care about accuracy/recoil i want a comp
View Quote

Do you care about the increase in felt concussion? If not you should go for a full on competition brake. The previously mentioned sjc Titan, miculek brake, or the surefire mb all reduce recoil to nil while keeping the muzzle stupid flat. Personally I hate them all and don't shoot near anyone that has one. Call me a wimp but I find the pressure bitch slap distracting even if I'm behind the trigger. Its all fine and well when shooting big magnum calibers because well, your shooting a 338lm or a 50. Not worth it with a 556 rifle. If I was a devoted competition junkie and needed the extra 1/10ths then it might be different I suppose.

If you want a very flat shooting/recoil reducing comp that doesn't bitch slap you, then I would reccomend the pws fsc556. It's 75% (subjective) as good as the other and while it's no fun to shoot next to, the effects aren't directed to the shooter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#23]
like a million others on here, i have searched and searched for the answer to this question for an untold amount of hours.

i know you said that you were looking for something not too pricy, but have you done any research on the Lantac Dragon? its $125

i have no experience with it, although mine should be here this week sometime and when i do i will post here about it.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looking for a compensator for my 5.56, looking for some thing that isnt too pricey either.
View Quote

There are tons of good comps out there!!  Too many to list, the good thing is that you cut them in half by having a quasi budget.  I say look into Griffin Armament or Rainier Arms both companies have sub $100 comps out there that get great reviews.  

Almost forgot that Surefire put this out can't really beat the name and the price, this will boil down to what you like appearance wise........

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP:  Go to the link.  Read all of it.  All of the comparisons, the charts, the data and watch all of the videos.   At the end of the day, if your objective is to reduce muzzle rise, to recover quickly and stay on target, you'll end up where most of us start:   the inexpensive and proven A2 that you may already have.  Observe that the A2 actually has negative muzzle climb.  It actually pushes the muzzle down slightly with each shot.  Any climb is from shooter reaction to the mild recoil.   You control that with better technique.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top