Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 11:00:51 PM EDT
Hello I'm new here, anyway, I recently bought a Daniel Defense Big Hole Upper to use as a second upper on a Colt SP1. As soon as I got it in I removed the original upper and checked the DD for fit. It was a no-go. The rear hole was placed correctly and would allow the pin to lock but the front pin hole (Big Hole) was about 1/8" off center. There was no way it was going to fit. I put the rifle back together and re-packed the new part to ship back. I called the warranty dept. this morning several times...no answer, so I called tech support to try to speak to someone. I spoke with the guy and explained the problem and he responded "oh thats not too good." Well I got it shipped back and am asking for a refund. I hear a lot about how good DD products are but I'm not impressed. Seems to me they have a QC problem. That part should have never shipped. I waited a long time for those uppers to be restocked and when they finally were they were not made correctly. Oh well, I guess I'll just shoot the old Colt as is. If anybody else out there is thinking about buying one of these all I can say is don't waste your money.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
This should go well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok...what is a "Big Hole" upper?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt made some lowers with a enlarged screw front pivot pin instead of the .250 mil spec pin. If you have one you need a big hole upper or a adapter pin that is probably the most pain in the ass thing ever invented by man.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd buy a $60.00 any brand lower and build a conventional rifle with standard parts that can easily be replaced.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got another ar I can play with. I just thought it would be nice to be able to have another upper for the Colt. I figured that since I was buying something from a company with such rave reviews I would be ok. I guess not though. It will be interesting to see if their customer service is as bad as their products.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got another ar I can play with. I just thought it would be nice to be able to have another upper for the Colt. I figured that since I was buying something from a company with such rave reviews I would be ok. I guess not though. It will be interesting to see if their customer service is as bad as their products.
View Quote

It sounds like you bought the wrong upper that has the smaller size pin holes?  Because there are two different sizes. Did you read to see if it was compatible with the larger pin lower prior to ordering?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Daniel Defense has the best customer service I've ever seen, not to mention the DD M4 v5 I just purchased is the nicest rifle I've ever seen in my life. They stand behind their products and they will surely make to right.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It sounds like you bought the wrong upper that has the smaller size pin holes?  Because there are two different sizes. Did you read to see if it was compatible with the larger pin lower prior to ordering?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you even read the OP? He knows there are two pin sizes, and bought the DD upper made specifically for the large pivot pin lowers. It didn't fit. There have been other reports of the same thing with these DD uppers. It's possible DD sent the wrong upper but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Daniel Defense BIG HOLE UPPER. .315 size forward pin for original Colt rifles. The hole was the right size in the wrong location. As I said in original post it was not made correctly
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]
https://danieldefense.com/big-hole-upper-receiver-assembly-b.html
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't be so quick to slam the door on them.  I understand that you are frustrated and maybe the product shouldn't have shipped, but every company makes mistakes.  Where the difference lies is in the companies that fix their mistakes to the effect that is best for the customer and from my experience DD is one of those companies.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope so. We shall see.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I love first post bitching...try resolving the issue before flaming the company.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, give DD a chance to make it right before slamming them on the internet.  Every company and EVERYONE makes mistakes.  What makes someone great is the way they fix the mistakes they make.  Give them a chance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah well, 200 bucks of my hard earned money spent on an inferior product tends to make me mad. It's not that hard to check the specs on something before you sell it. Or MAYBE I'm just asking a little TOO MUCH!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yeah well, 200 bucks of my hard earned money spent on an inferior product tends to make me mad. It's not that hard to check the specs on something before you sell it. Or MAYBE I'm just asking a little TOO MUCH!
View Quote
Or maybe there's another issue.  Contact DD...

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Many years ago I purchased a DD large hole upper and had a similar issue.  I took a round file to it and got it to fit reasonably well.  Shouldn't have had to to it but the only other alternative at the time was to find a factory Colt large hole flat top upper.  Fairly rare.  I've owned several over the years (don't have any at the moment).  Back then they were worth about $400.  No idea what they're worth now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought about filing it but didn't. Mine didnt have a whole lot of material to spare. Not only that but it would have killed any chance of a refund if it didnt work.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought about filing it but didn't. Mine didnt have a whole lot of material to spare. Not only that but it would have killed any chance of a refund if it didnt work.

View Quote

Just sell me the colt use the proceeds to buy a new colt and I'll put my 11.5 slickside colt upper on it and throw away my stupid adapter bushings
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm pretty new too...BUT ...my DD V5 LW is the best  rifle I've ever seen too...forget first post bitching...lol...I'm 3rd post praising..also on a side note- I called them as a new owner with several newb questions. They were down to earth, answered every thing I needed, and probably would have stayed on the phone all day if I would've wanted them to...couldn't be happier
Edit: 5th post
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

DD's very first offering ...got one for an old Colt I had many moons ago....fit and worked as advertised.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, if you had read the original post you would have seen that he knows this. OP- give DD a chance to make it right (POST THIS IN THEIR INDUSTRY FORUM) they make grade A products, have great CS and they will take care of you once they see this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Where did you buy the upper, I didn't think they had made these in years?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you try mating it with another lower.? DD does have great QC and their rifles have the nicest fits and finishes in the industry.  Not too cool how you rush to complain about them without trying to,work it out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Built an upper for my squad leader in 06 w/ a big hole DD upper... He purchased a Colt that somebody tried to modify the upper & didn't succeed at. The DD worked like a charm Sgt. Del, if your reading this, hope your well & the Colt still flawless... I have your issue stock(one that took the bullet), here when you want it...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had one for many years, I had to make some slight adjustments to the hole with a round file to get it to fit properly, nothing odd about this, back in the 70s & 80s every non factory upper/lower I purchased (except for some that were sold as "Matched Sets") needed some file work to fit properly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#27]
UPDATE. I RETURNED THE PART AND THEY RECIEVED IT ON 8/20. I WAS IN CONTACT WITH THE LADY IN CHARGE OF RETURNS AND SHE SAID I WOULD RECIEVE A REFUND IN 10-14 DAYS. I STILL HAVE NOT RECIEVED ANYTHING. AND SHE STILL DOES NOT ANSWER HER PHONE. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
UPDATE. I RETURNED THE PART AND THEY RECIEVED IT ON 8/20. I WAS IN CONTACT WITH THE LADY IN CHARGE OF RETURNS AND SHE SAID I WOULD RECIEVE A REFUND IN 10-14 DAYS. I STILL HAVE NOT RECIEVED ANYTHING. AND SHE STILL DOES NOT ANSWER HER PHONE. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!
View Quote

What I'm taking away from a post like this isn't the suckage of Daniel Defense, but you. This is not the proper way to respond to what happened.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Colt used an oversized pivot pin until the mid 90's.

Commonly found on Colt Sporters and Colt Match Targets.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Jesus Christ dude, DD has a great reputation for a reason. I understand you're having some bad luck but it happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top