Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 3:14:02 PM EDT
I have a DPMS barrel that will not headspace. It is the mk12 barrel and I have read online that these do have problems headpsacing and not to worry as long as it fires. (It does-I've put roughly 100 rounds through it). Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or thinks I shouldn't shoot it without proper headpsacing.  If spotted this in dpms industry forums but no replys back yet.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, now I'm curious.  If you did the headspace procedure properly, and say it won't headspace, why in the hell would you go ahead and shoot it?  I'm not saying that from just a safety standpoint either.  If it was a new barrel that had a defect like that DPMS would have taken care of it with no problem.  Why would you go ahead and shoot it anyway based on "hearing that not headspacing is normal"?  Now you have a used barrel that DPMS may or may not be able to help you with.  Makes no sense to me.

I could be completely misunderstanding, and if so i do apologize.  And DPMS is a stand up company.  They may be able to help you out.  Just my .02

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Four sixty-
As I stated in the original post that I read this was a problem with them and people go ahead and shoot them with no problems. So I did this. I don't shoot this rifle often and started thinking about it again the other day and just wanted some feedback from here. Thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF do you mean it won't headspace?  If it closes on a FIELD then it is dangerous to shoot.  If it closes on a NO GO then HS is on the large side and MIGHT be excessive and should be checked with a FIELD.  If it will not close on a GO  then HS is tight and while it is safe to shoot, it might not chamber some rounds, especially if they are on the large side of spec.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WTF do you mean it won't headspace?  If it closes on a FIELD then it is dangerous to shoot.  If it closes on a NO GO then HS is on the large side and MIGHT be excessive and should be checked with a FIELD.  If it will not close on a GO  then HS is tight and while it is safe to shoot, it might not chamber some rounds, especially if they are on the large side of spec.
View Quote

Exactly information I was looking for. Thank You
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Just because a weapon that fails a Go gage can be fired does not make it the wise thing to do.
The specs for headspace and cartridge size are set to prevent problems when a minimum tolerance chamber meets a max tolerance round.
When a weapon fails a Go gage most people cannot tell if it failed by a little or a lot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top