Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 4:28:26 AM EDT
Does DD make Melonited barrels? I sent in one of my rifles to get a new barrel (defect with old one). They replaced and sent it back. After cleaning it I took it to the range and all was good. Took it home and cleaned the bore and I noticed around the muzzle the bore is black. My other ar15's have a grey color because they are chrome lined. The original barrel on this DD was chrome lined.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
What model is the barrel?

They do make nitride finished barrels in their S2W profile
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. What was wrong with the original barrel?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
It is for a govt profile mid-length gas system. I am work so I can't see if it marked as chrome lined on the outside of the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It should be easy to tell the difference between a CL and Melonited treated barrel. A Melonited barrel will be more glossy than a parkerized barrel. It will also be hard as shit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:48:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. What was wrong with the original barrel?
View Quote

There was a problem the barrel extension. It was being gouged by the bolt lugs. DD fixed up for me but I am not too sure I like having a melonited barrel. I sent in a chrome barrel and got something different back.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It should be easy to tell the difference between a CL and Melonited treated barrel. A Melonited barrel will be more glossy than a parkerized barrel. It will also be hard as shit.
View Quote

The exterior of the barrel is regular parkerized barrel but the inside is not the flat grey that is usually seen in chrome lining. It is black. At leas from what I can see from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Will a DD barrel have "CL" marked on the barrel if it is chromed lined?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Will a DD barrel have "CL" marked on the barrel if it is chromed lined?
View Quote

Maybe. They have marked them in many different ways over the years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The exterior of the barrel is regular parkerized barrel but the inside is not the flat grey that is usually seen in chrome lining. It is black. At leas from what I can see from the muzzle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be excited to get a nitrided barrel over a chrome lines.

Nitriding allows for faster bullets less friction, longer lasting barrel life, and corrosion resistance on inside and out.  I believe also (not 100% on this) but I believe the nitriding allows for slight accuracy edge because of the less friction and allowing the barrel to stay cooler longer so less heat deformation (I have no evidence to back that claim up but I have heard and read about it as an advantage)
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:11:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I would much rather have one if their melonited barrels over their chrome lined. I actually looked for one for months before giving up and going with another company.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got home and there is nothing on the barrel that would indicate it to be chrome lined, but not all barrels are marked like that even if they are chrome lined. Not sure what to make of it. It is grey parkerizing on the outside and black on the inside. I guess I will call and ask if the park the exterior of their melonite barrels.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Melonite DD barrel.  It is a little more glossy than a standard barrel, not by much though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We currently offer two types of barrel finishes.  One is  a Chrome Lined Chamber/bore w/ a Manganese Heavy Phosphate coating on the exterior.  The other Finish we do is a Salt Bath Nitride (SBN) Coating which we apply to the interior and exterior of the barrel.  SBN is great for corrosion resistance just as chrome lining, but the SBN coating lends itself to being more accurate.

SBN coated barrels are as follows - All Ambush Firearms rifles, All 18" 5.56s barrels, All 300 BLK and 6.8 SPC Barrels.  These barrels are dark black in color.

Chrom/Phos applies to all carbine length gas system barrels, Mid-Length barrels 16" and shorter.  These barrels are dark grey in color.

S/F

Joe
View Quote

In that case, what is going on with my barrel. Because it looks like a normal chrome lined barrel ( heavy phospahte finish on exterior) but the bore is black and not grey like a typical chrome lined bore?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top