Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2014 8:00:04 AM EDT
The first time I handled an AR-15 / M16 was October, 1986.

The Marine Corps isn't know for having the most up to date gear or being very understanding of failure.

So being a lefty I learned to make due with what I had, but I always found changing the magazine the biggest pain for operating the AR styled rifles.

Almost 30 years pass, and the AR has probably become the most popular rifle of all time.

The ambidextrous magazine release and safety have been a god send for lefties.

What follows is a look at the top three magazine releases available today for the AR-15.

Photo shows the Norgon (top), Troy (middle), Knight's (bottom)

Norgon: Retail price $90

Adopted for use by the Marine Corps at the end of August '07.

Does not extend past the opening of the magazine lever, because it levers against itself.

It will allow use of bolt hold open devices.

Releasing a full magazine on a closed bolt requires little effort, as the motion is in line with your finger.

The pad of my finger hits the middle of the release and it is natural and easy to operate.

Activating the bolt catch is no problem

Troy: Retail price $65

There is a pad that extends below the magazine lever and it pivots against the receiver.

The center of the pad is 1/2" forward of the end lever, which means just the tip of my first linger is used.

It will allow use of bolt hold open devices.

Releasing a full magazine on a closed bolt requires a little bit more effort than the Norgon but is in no way hard.

I find the motion to operate the Troy to be less easier than the other two but it is no way hard just different.

Knight's: Retail price $62

The pad extends 1" past the end of the lever and pivots against the receiver.

The pad hits between my first and second joint.

It will not allow use of a bolt hold open device.

Releasing a full magazine on closed bolt requires almost no effort.

Because of the extended and raised lever, engaging the bolt catch takes a little more attention.

The Knight's also comes with a large button for the right side, but it won't work on the LaRue billet lower.

So what is my favorite?

Norgon without a doubt.

I like the fact it pivots against itself and not the receiver.

The motion to operate it is in line with you finger and not down like the Troy.

The release is right at the middle of the first pad of my finger, unlike the Troy which is a little farther reach.

Being smaller than the Knight's, it is less likely to be engaged accidentally, while allowing easier access to the bolt catch.

Is it $20 better than the Knight's or Troy is a question you will have to answer for yourself, but for me it is.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Well done
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the review. I too favor the norgon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting that, I've been thinking about trying an ambi mag release (fellow lefty).

Nice rifles, by the way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy is perfect for my needs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice review OP.  Your experience mirrors mine.

I had a troy and replaced it with Norgon which I now use on many of my platforms.  The Norgon is a better design with a higher level of craftsmanship.  The troy felt cheap.  It works if you hit it just right, but the ergonomics of finger placement are poor.  I also don't like camming off of the receiver - extra failure point and not consistent vs the Norgon design.  I've never handled the Knights so I can't speak to it.

If you held both a Norgon and troy in your hand, the difference in quality is immediately apparent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top