Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 7:10:18 PM EDT
So I've got a Magpul MOE stock on the new rifle I picked up, and it rattles a bit. That aside for now, I'm looking at replacing it with a different stock. How do I tell if I have a commercial or mil-spec buffer tube so I know which version of the stock to purchase? Like I said, the Magpul stock rattles and I don't know if that's because it's a cheap stock or if it's because it's a commercial stock on a mil-spec tube or vice-versa. Help!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
is the end of the buffer tube straight or angled?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The MOE will rattle a bit, their CTR has a friction lock that will help with this.

Anyway to tell what buffer tube you have refer to the following diagram.

http://i30.tinypic.com/15wckzo.jpg

Edit: Beat to it by a bit
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I've got a Magpul MOE stock on the new rifle I picked up, and it rattles a bit. That aside for now, I'm looking at replacing it with a different stock. How do I tell if I have a commercial or mil-spec buffer tube so I know which version of the stock to purchase? Like I said, the Magpul stock rattles and I don't know if that's because it's a cheap stock or if it's because it's a commercial stock on a mil-spec tube or vice-versa. Help!
View Quote

Most "mil spec diameter" stocks are no longer mil spec by a long shot, and the commercial diameter ones don't necessarily have slanted backs, either.

The only sure way to tell for purposes of stock fitting is to measure - 1.150 vs. 1.170 diameter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Why is there a difference?

Txl
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm dropping the upper off at the shop in the morning to have them cerakote the barrel. i'll just have them measure to tell me for sure.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i'm dropping the upper off at the shop in the morning to have them cerakote the barrel. i'll just have them measure to tell me for sure.
View Quote

Well, that's an extrusion with cut threads, so it's not "mil spec", but might still be "mil spec diameter".
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is there a difference?
View Quote

It costs more to forge the blank and roll the threads, per mil-spec.  So, companies that aren't trying to sell to the military just make what comes cheapest and still works.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

What brand is your lower?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
spike's
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Spikes should be mil-spec, but I have heard of some having a commercial buffer tube.

Best way is to take it to an LGS that deals with AR15s and have them check for you if you are truly unsure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top