Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 6:20:34 PM EDT
So I'm building another AR-15, number 6.
The purpose of this build is going to be an F-Class/Mid-Range Prone/Benchrest build.

Parts so far:
Stag Arms Lower
RRA Lower Parts
Jard 1.5 lbs. Single Stage Trigger
Ergo "sniper" pistol grip
VLTOR MUR with Deflector Upper Receiver
VLTOR BCM Mod3 Large Charging handle
DoubleStar gas block
Nordic Free Floating handgaurd
RGuns Nickle Boron BCG

Stock: (either)
Mako Sniper stock

Magpul PRS

Now for the barrel options:
Stag Arms:
      5.56 NATO 1:8 Twist 24"     $200
White Oak Armament:
     .223 Wylde 1:8 Twist 26:      $310
Franklin Armory:
     5.56 NATO 1:8 Twist 24:      $250       Not Stainless Steel Finish

I'm looking for about 24" in preferably Stainless Steel. Budget <$400.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm building another AR-15, number 6.
The purpose of this build is going to be an F-Class/Mid-Range Prone/Benchrest build.

Parts so far:
Stag Arms Lower
RRA Lower Parts
Jard 1.5 lbs. Single Stage Trigger
Ergo "sniper" pistol grip
VLTOR MUR with Deflector Upper Receiver
VLTOR BCM Mod3 Large Charging handle
DoubleStar gas block
Nordic Free Floating handgaurd
RGuns Nickle Boron BCG

Stock: (either)
Mako Sniper stock
http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/NASSR25.jpg
Magpul PRS
http://cdn.magpul.com/images/uploads/26_420_popup.jpg

Now for the barrel options:
Stag Arms:
      5.56 NATO 1:8 Twist 24"     $200
White Oak Armament:
     .223 Wylde 1:8 Twist 26:      $310
Franklin Armory:
     5.56 NATO 1:8 Twist 24:      $250       Not Stainless Steel Finish

I'm looking for about 24" in preferably Stainless Steel. Budget <$400.
View Quote

I don't know of anyone shooting .223 in F-Class. I would look into building something in the 6.5mm range of calibers.

EDIT: I take that back, apparently there is now an F-Class F-AR15 for 600 yard in .223,. If that's what you intend on shooting, I would go with a WOA or Rainier Arms in 24" length, 26" isnt allowed according to the rules. I wouldn't do a single stage with a target rifle, I would go with a geissele hi speed national match. the trigger, barrel, and optics are where you want to fork over money.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I am building this for the F-Class F-AR15.

I just downloaded the rule book for F-Class and I didn't see a restriction on barrel length, just weight. I saw on a different website a suggestion of 16"-24". I kind of had my heart set on the WOA, but it's 26".

I looked on the Rainier Arms website and I couldn't find a barrel past 20" for the AR-15. Do they make a 24" barrel?

I was originally going to put a Geissele trigger in it, but in my last build I used the Jard 1.5 lbs Single Stage, and so far I love it.

Edit:
To my knowledge F-AR15 isn't a sanctioned F-Class sub-division. It would fall under the F-Class T/R rules.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya I was thinking rainier had a 24" but I must have been mistaken. You may need to look into the regular barrel manufacturers for for a barrel (i.e. Hart, Shilen, Krieger). IMO I would just go with a WOA, they make solid barrels that I'm sure would be more than enough for competition.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea. I think I have decided on the WOA. Thanks for the input.

Any suggestions on the stock?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be partial to the PRS, they're both around the same price point. As far as adjustable fixed length stocks go I think its one of the best you can get. One tip would be to stick with 10 or 20 round magazines, 30's will usually conflict with a short bipod. Have you decided on glass yet?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. I have a Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25x50.

I know it's no Nightforce or Trijicon, but I think it's a good scope.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard decent things on Mueller, the illumination will be unusable at 600 yds but the scope itself should be fine. As far as budget scopes go, I have a Lucid L5 that is surprisingly clear for the money, it "feels: a bit cheap but the turrets return to zero everytime and it has yet to fail. I have a buddy that has a Millett Trs-1 that he put on a custom Savage 10, its another solid one for under $400, I was pretty well impressed with that scope and may pick one up in the future. Like you said, these scopes wont hold a candle to Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender, or Swarovski but for 600 yards it should do. Good luck with the build and I think you'll really like F-class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top