Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 3:02:12 PM EDT
Was just wondering if it was possible to run a carbine H buffer in an A2 stock. Doing a build, it's what I got.
tia
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

Buffer tubes and buffers are different lengths
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Why couldn't you? The carbine buffer is shorter than a rifle buffer. You couldn't use a rifle buffer in a carbine though. While not the ideal setup it ought to function at least...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why couldn't you? The carbine buffer is shorter than a rifle buffer. You couldn't use a rifle buffer in a carbine though. While not the ideal setup it ought to function at least...
View Quote

How much fun is it gonna be the first time you pull the trigger and the gas key runs into the charging handle? At the very least it's going to ruin the charging handle. I'd imagine it might also seize up inside the weapon as the soft aluminum of the charging handle gets deformed and mashed up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure you can, you just need a spacer and the carbine spring.  I think some people even use quarters.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tube-hardware/ar-15-m16-buffer-spacer-prod44889.aspx

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just because it is possible, doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.
Buy the proper buffer and spring
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
The only thing that comes to mind is: "Why would you?"        

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#7]
If you do that stunt without some sort of spacer in the buffer tube to take up the extra travel of the BCG you will risk damaging your lower. Is that enough yet?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea, the JP Captured Spring Assembly is designed for carbine length tubes, but has a spacer to work with rifle tubes.

Nice option. Have carbine length tubes, so never tried it, but everything JP makes is good to go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#9]
You will need a spacer.  Several companies make them, or you could build your own.

Rifle buffers are heavier and if your already using a full length stock you are probably better off with a rifle buffer and spring.  The price is fairly low and you might be able to save a few dollars by finding a used one.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#10]
my rifle stock uses the buffer tube as a mounting point, the top screw on the buttplate screws into the buffer tube.  arent they all built that way?  how do the spacers work?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

my rifle stock uses the buffer tube as a mounting point, the top screw on the buttplate screws into the buffer tube.  arent they all built that way?  how do the spacers work?
View Quote
Rifle stocks are all pretty much built that way.  A spacer slides down inside the receiver extension and leaves the same amount of room that a carbine receiver extension has. I think some are dimpled so the stock screw does not impact the spacer.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#12]
why would you the best part of the rifle stock is the smoother cycling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I think spikes make an adapter so you can use a carbine spring and h buffer
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been known to have "what would happen if......." moments. I did about a year ago and it concerned this very topic.  I had on hand a length of 1" aluminum rod that I cut to 2 5/8". I reduced the outside diameter enough that the spacer would slide easily down the rifle buffer tube. Using a carbine spring and H buffer the rifle functioned flawlessly for the 300 or so rounds put down range.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top