Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2014 5:21:04 PM EDT
I'm not one for writing a whole lot so this review will be short and to the point (with a lot of pics) and will look more like a point paper... especially since it's something as simple a as a selector switch. (I appologize in advance for any upside down pics, despite my best efforts on fixing them on photobucket prior to posting they remain messed up.)
What: Ares Armor Gavel Ambidextrous Safety

Product description from their website: Ares Armor Link

Price: $40

Ares Armor Gavel Ambidextrous Safety Selector

Made for the AR-15 / .308 LR weapon platforms the Gavel is a variable position short throw safety selector. It can be set in 30 degree increments to the users preference and has a throw of 55 degrees.

Each Gavel comes with both short and long high strength polymer levers, steel shaft, high strength American made screws and appropriate hex key. All parts of the Gavel are 100% made in the USA.

The Gavel's levers interface with the shaft with a gear-like spline system to ensure equal pressure and longevity of strength. The weight of the throw is equally distributed across this system allowing the selector to be both extremely light weight and durable.

Purchase Experience: Excellent. No problems whatsoever. Fast shipping after the order was placed and I received it shortly thereafter.

Box: Nice little package with a quote on the front and directions on the back. Nothing too exciting. Comes with the main cam, selectors (one long one short), the screws that hold them in, and the hex wrench that hold them in. (I took this particular picture after I installed it... oh well... at least you know what the package looks like now.)

Install: Not hard at all. In fact, I didn’t even really reference the instructions given. It’s very intuitive. I took out the old selector, put in the new cam with the selectors in their traditional positions, and then I just adjusted them to where they felt most comfortable.

Has a gear-like male end in that goes into the female end and can be adjusted to different angles depending on your preference (same on both sides).

Female End once installed into lower

Here are some pics of the different angles you can choose from.

When you’re ready, you just put the screw in and tighten it down. (Use of  blue Loctite is strongly suggested.)

Over-all impressions:

Pros:
•Has a shorter throw (55 deg vs 90 deg). I really like this feature. It's subtle, but really nice especially on an all custom build like my 80% lower where every part is hand chosen!
•Adjustable for different angles, depending on shooter preference. This was really nice on the trigger finger side to help keep it from touching my finger when pulling the trigger.
•The support side selector doesn’t get in the way of the trigger finger! This was one of the reasons I've gone so long w/o a ambi safety.
•I like actually engaging the safety with my trigger finger (from fire -> safe).

Cons:
•Not many, Over all I am very impressed
•Plasticy feel... I'm just being nit-picky because it really isn't all  that noticeable, but I'd be willing to pay a little bit more if it was made of machined aluminum or something.
•Not a big fan of the “Gavel” logo on the side, but that’s just personal preference.

Below are pics of it installed on my lower (which I actually milled myself from one of Ares  Armor’s 80% lowers). Overall, I am very impressed with the product & service received from Ares Armor. Only time will tell if it will last (just like anything else), but I’m confident that I will. I shoot 2-3 matches / month and will post a long term review later on in the year.

Bottom Line: It's worth buying and I'd suggest it to those building a lower or looking to upgrade their current set-up.

Safe position (thumb side)

Fire Position (thumb side)

Safe Position (trigger finger side)

Fire Position (trigger finger side)

As you can see from the photos below the ambi safety doesn't get in the way/ touch your trigger finger in any significant way:

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Crossfit Rules!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crossfit Rules!!!
View Quote

I'm glad someone picked up on it haha.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a cheap ass knock off (rip off) of Battle Arms Bad Ass Safety

I'll stick with the ORIGINAL
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

except this one is different...
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice, I like having options
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah... this one says "Gavel" on one side and "III" on the other... Either way, to each his own and I'm happy so far.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crossfit Rules!!!

so where do we get crosfit lowers?? :-)
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah... this one says "Gavel" on one side and "III" on the other... Either way, to each his own and I'm happy so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and is a 45* throw on any lower while also allowing the user to dictate the levers position. Seems like and improvement on the BAD ASS, much like the BAD was an improvement on previous ambi safeties. So stick to the ORGINAL colt or who ever made the first ambi safeties because it sure as hell wasn't BAD. If not get off that high horse you're prancing around on.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Not a huge fan of the cheesy lettering, but it's neat to have options besides 0-45 and 0-90
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top