Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 2/13/2014 9:41:50 AM
I found this barrel for $79.99 + shipping. Its is a 16" 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:9 twist and parkerized.

Any one experience with Bear Creek? Seems too good to be true for a Wylde chamber. Tempted to be a Guinea pig on this.

Camreno
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2014 11:30:57 AM
Very Shitty website. I dont even think you can check out online. Either its a very new company, or like 1 dude in his basement running it.

Be the Genie Pig and let us know :p
Splitpi
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2014 9:25:35 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Camreno:
Very Shitty website. I dont even think you can check out online. Either its a very new company, or like 1 dude in his basement running it.

Be the Genie Pig and let us know :p

Alright, I'll be the huckleberry. Order placed....
Camreno
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2014 11:15:16 AM
Cool deal! How much did it end up setting you back
Splitpi
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2014 12:09:59 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Camreno:
Cool deal! How much did it end up setting you back

About $95 shipped. I'll post about the barrel when I receive it. However I probably won't shoot it for another 2-3 months as parts arrive.
Camreno
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2014 12:38:29 PM
Just curious, why did you not just get a 556 barrel instead of the 223 wylde. Alot more options when it comes to 556. I just picked one up from CCMG, nitrade coated for 140 something bucks.
JustWhistle
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2014 1:18:05 PM
Probably the same barrel in their rifles.
$499.99 AR-15 at Classic
c5hardtop
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2014 8:44:16 PM
It is MMC, Moore Machine, they are marketing under a different name now, probably because of their reputation for building crap products.
plouffedaddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2014 10:20:09 PM
The shop is about 30 mins from my house. Maybe I should go take a tour and let ya'll know what I find
Splitpi
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/15/2014 11:53:58 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By c5hardtop:
It is MMC, Moore Machine, they are marketing under a different name now, probably because of their reputation for building crap products.

I do believe you are correct. I'll post my findings when I receive them.

I went with a 223 Wylde because you can still use 5.56 with "supposedly" better accuracy. Though my understanding is that some of the steel cased ammo don't work aswell.

Woffar
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/15/2014 1:55:10 PM
Classic Firearms sent me this a few days ago fluffing up Bear Creek. Here is the info:

So Just Who Is Bear Creek Arsenal …. Here's The Story…

Bear Creek Arsenal is owned and operated by the Moore family. They have a long history here in our North Carolina not only as master machinist but as shooters, armorers and craftsmen.

Until now Bear Creek has been mostly known behind the scenes in the firearms community for making custom barrels, complex receivers, and high end private label rifle parts for builders across the country.

More recently, their sister company, Moore's Machine, introduced a base level AR-15 to the market. This is a rifle that we carried for a while, stopped carrying, and then re-introduced after extensive testing and becoming comfortable with their newly found level of consistent quality. After being re-introduced, they were a huge success!

Recently, in their ongoing effort to produce the finest rifle possible, the Moore family has taken the entire MMC operation and moved it to their dedicated custom facility at their Bear Creek Arsenal location. At Bear Creek Arsenal, each rifle is built from the ground up on dedicated equipment and under the direct oversight and quality control of the Moore family themselves.

Since we re-introduced the MMC rifles in late 2013 the quality has always been good, but now under the new Bear Creek Arsenal banner, we think it is even better.

Buyers will notice a nicer finish, smoother lines, higher quality markings, and a more professional fit and finish than ever before. They feed as smooth as glass and the accuracy rivals that of many custom guns.

We are convinced that these are the best bang for the rifle buck of any gun in America! For shooters, by shooters, that is Bear Creek Arsenal.

Ready to shop? Check out the first two Bear Creek AR's on our site -
wagonwheel1
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/15/2014 9:39:11 PM
That price is just more proof that the bottom is falling out of the AR Market.
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Splitpi
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 8:43:50 AM
Barrel is being delivered this afternoon. I'll try and get some measurements, but not likely much till the weekend. I won't be assembling it for a few months though.
derek1387
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 10:29:40 AM
We use some of their barrels for varmint builds at a shop i work at...they seem to be decent quality!
Bix1776
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/25/2014 5:17:27 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By JustWhistle:
Probably the same barrel in their rifles.
$499.99 AR-15 at Classic

Barrel life rated at 150,000 rounds?!!! SIGN ME THE FUCK UP

Splitpi
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/25/2014 10:38:42 AM
Sorry I don't have any photos. Did not have much time yesterday.

My crappy calipers measured the gas port at 0.0685 and right on at 0.750 for the gas block diameter.

The entire barrel was parkerized including the M4 extension. The finish is even and consistent. The inside of the bore looks good with crisp rifling. I need to run a cloth through it a few times to ensure all the dust is out and put a bit of polish on it. I will try and post some photos later.
RobFromMichigan
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/25/2014 10:53:48 AM
Run away from bear creek, they are the same junk under a different name. anyone who can offer a "full feature ar15" for under $500 needs to be looked at with extreme skepticism
ProtoCulture
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/25/2014 12:32:55 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:
That price is just more proof that the bottom is falling out of the AR Market.

I think you're right. But heck, why not buy low, sell high? Get these now at this price and sell for double the next time some idiot blows away a bunch of innocents.
Splitpi
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2014 10:41:32 PM
As promised here are some photos

Here is the gas port

Here is the M4 extension

End thread

Overall the barrel looks good. There is one thing that I noticed, the rifling looks good, however I did notice a weird scratch down in the barrel. I tried to take photos.

Thoughts?

Storm_Tracker
Nader Chaser
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2014 11:07:19 PM
Splitpi
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/6/2014 8:53:28 PM
[Last Edit: 3/6/2014 8:55:21 PM by Splitpi]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Storm_Tracker: Isn't that the gas port you are seeing inside the barrel?

You are right it looks a little rough but it'll smooth out. It is the gas port, I put a small wire through the hole and it was the mark.

Overall, the rifling looks good in my opinion.

I'm going to run some metal polish through the barrel and polish up the feed ramp. I'll check the head spacing later.

For $95 delivered, I am happy.
raven_zer0
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2014 2:00:28 PM
Thanks to Splitpi for being the first brave soul to order one and taking the time to post his findings. Based on his initial observations being mostly positive, I thought I'd also take a chance and I just ordered two of them. When I get them I will inspect them and take photos and share them along with my observations. Stay tuned...
elcapitan75
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2014 2:06:13 PM
I just went full Huckleberry. It will be a month before I can pick up the rifle, as I am on a boat right now. But, when I do get home, I will continually update my results here. 499.99 from Classic till the end of march. The manufacturer it is already selling it at 649.95 direct sales. Supposedly they "flooded" the market to get them out there, and now are selling at a reactive price based on feedback from the "flood".
elcapitan75
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2014 3:19:50 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By plouffedaddy:
The shop is about 30 mins from my house. Maybe I should go take a tour and let ya'll know what I find

That would be great....and appreciated, as I just purchased one from them, and it is my first AR. New to the platform, and this site, but not firearms in general. I am sticking my neck out a little on this purchase. (I realize this) My back yard is 150yds deep and I am not looking for a 500-800 yd. rifle. Nor do I think I will put 15,000 rounds through it....but who knows :). It will be a good starter AR for my son either way. Any feedback is appreciated, and when I finally get home I will post my results continually here, as the best judgment on any newly manufactured brands quality is not heresy, but to push it through its paces. I will be a guinea pig for this one, as I am on a budget. If there is something in particular (results) you want me to report, let me know.
samchar12
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2014 11:38:19 AM
Any reports on how the barrel holds up after shooting? Can't beat $70.
Splitpi
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2014 4:51:37 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By samchar12:
Any reports on how the barrel holds up after shooting? Can't beat $70.

Still waiting on an upper and other components. It will be a while.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2