Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2013 6:53:20 PM EDT
I've got a build that just finished being Cerakoted and I've run into an issue with the Fortis REV 14" rail. I've got a Daniel Defense 14.5" barrel that was going to have a PWS FSC556 brake pinned but it's getting into the REV rail due to it being longer than 14". Stickman has posted a picture of a 14" REV/14.5" Barrel with a pinned Surefire MB556 brake that seems to clear ok but is anyone else running a similar setup without clearance issues? Below are two pics showing the base of the PWS brake being covered by the rail.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz94/techster82/fortis1_zps128ccbfd.jpg

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz94/techster82/fortis2_zps0779645f.jpg
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah that's an issue.  What's your question though?  The sf brake is longer and the ports are at the end.  That's why it works where your setup doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe you got experimental 15 in rail by mistake?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
from Fortis site:

Length: 14.815"
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#5]
get a diff muzzle brake
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe kac mams break is longer?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah that's an issue.  What's your question though?  The sf brake is longer and the ports are at the end.  That's why it works where your setup doesn't.
View Quote

My question is simply this: Is anyone else out there running a 14" Fortis Rail on a 14.5" barrel successfully, and if so what muzzle brake have you found that works? The only pic I've seen of a setup that looks like it may be functional is one that features the Surefire MB556. Unfortunately I don't have a store around me that stocks a wide selection of brakes that would allow me to test fit them prior to purchasing. If anyone knows of a brake that has ports further out than the PWS FSC556 I'd appreciate the info.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What the hell happened there?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I believe the pressure from the upward muzzle blast caused the aluminum handguard to fracture since it wasn't clear of the handguard. Exactly what I am wanting to avoid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=609705&page=3

look for m3racer  similiar but different ....using aac balckout

i am thinking of a similar build but w/ a KX3
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My question is simply this: Is anyone else out there running a 14" Fortis Rail on a 14.5" barrel successfully, and if so what muzzle brake have you found that works? The only pic I've seen of a setup that looks like it may be functional is one that features the Surefire MB556. Unfortunately I don't have a store around me that stocks a wide selection of brakes that would allow me to test fit them prior to purchasing. If anyone knows of a brake that has ports further out than the PWS FSC556 I'd appreciate the info.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any of the linear comps like the Troy Claymore, Flaming Pig, etc. would be your best option.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I believe the pressure from the upward muzzle blast caused the aluminum handguard to fracture since it wasn't clear of the handguard. Exactly what I am wanting to avoid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

He's using an upside down A2, so I'm not sure that would do it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm thinking about doing a 14.5" build with the Fortis 14, has anyone figured out anymore options besides the Surefire as far as muzzle devices go?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Depending on how much thread you have to play with, you may be able to shim your compensator with washers and extend it a few millimeters which should give you the length you need to clear the leading edge of the rail.  

You don't have to worry about the compensator backing off the barrel since you'll be pinning it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blast wave probably reflected off the inside of the handguard and bounced up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Rainier told me today that their XTC comp is compatible with the REV 14, still waiting to hear back from Fortis to see their input on the subject.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I am running 14.5 BCM with spikes dynacomp and 14 Fortis rev 400rnds and no problem yet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am running 14.5 BCM with spikes dynacomp and 14 Fortis rev 400rnds and no problem yet.
View Quote

Would you mind posting a pic of that?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Wanted to do 14" Fortis rail on my 14.5" FN barrel.  Unfortunately, didn't catch this thread until after purchasing the rail and a Griffin Armament M4SDII Flash/comp.  Flash comp is currently shipping but I'm going to try it out and see if it clears.  I spoke with a board member on here who ran the 14" Fortis with the Surefire MB556, he did his homework much better than I did and showed me that the Fortis comes in closer to 14.8".  Not wanting to go with the Surefire MB556, and upon confirming the  M4SDII Flash/comp will not clear (suspecting it won't from photos), I am going to either wait for a device more preferable to me to be discovered OR will look to pick up a 14" Centurion CMR.  This rail measures 13.688" so I will not be as limited in my choices of muzzle devices.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a cheap fix but something like a centurion 14.7 barrel would get it out the a bit more. Damned good barrel too. It would also let you run any comp you chose and not just the extended one made for 14.5 barrels.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top