Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2013 11:07:27 AM EDT
http://www.dsarms.com/images/002D528.jpg

Found this through DS Arms ( http://www.dsarms.com/ZM4_AR15-FAL-Belgian-Style-Flashider-1_2-28-----002D-12X28/productinfo/002D-12X28/ ) and I really liked the look, I'm putting the parts together for my first build and wanted to know if any one had experience with FAL style flash hiders on AR platforms.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't say about the AR platform, but they do work exceptionally well on the FAL.  Bonus- you can fire the 22mm RG from them!
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Heh sounds good enough for government work, I'll go ahead and order it, yeah it's a cosmetic decision but hell with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
And mount a FAL bayonet also.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks *really* heavy, like a barrel weight.  You may want to check that first, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks *really* heavy, like a barrel weight.  You may want to check that first, IMO.

What's the issue with the weight, besides an ounce or two difference between it and a FH/cage?  It is demonstrably one of the most effective OEM MB/FH combos going.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the issue with the weight, besides an ounce or two difference between it and a FH/cage?  It is demonstrably one of the most effective OEM MB/FH combos going.

I'm willing to bet that it's considerably more than an ounce or two, and it's out at the end of the barrel.  And "demonstrably" more effective?  Care to back that up?
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 3:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I'll take up that bet comparing an AK late-mdel FH to a FN for weight.

Demonstrably "one of the most effective", not better was my statement I think.  Good challenge though.  I've seen a lot of commercial FH and MB combos come down the road in the FAL wastelands (I moderated The FAL Files for years), and the 22mm Combo was always in the running.  Sometimes better, sometimes not the best, but not down there with some of the trash you see done without any science.  The ports are venturi, PV=nRT is still a rule in physics, and the crazy things work.  Instead of breaking up the flame front, they actually quench it using physics.  As we say around here, IFLS (I F-N live science).

So, I'll go weigh the darn things- I think I have a scale that goes that light.  Meanwhile, bulk up on your forearms 'heavyduty' if you can't push a pipsqueak FH/MB combo around on plates.  Start with Spinach?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not too worried about the weight, can't be any worse then a FAL's front end right? The only thing stopping me is currently DSA's brutal shipping rates. Not an expensive flash hider itself, but the $12 shipping is killing me on a solitary small part.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, make sure the thread pitch is the same and compatable with your AR15.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, make sure the thread pitch is the same and compatable with your AR15.

If you'll re-read the OP, it's a "FAL-style" FH made for the AR15, 1/2 X28 threads
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up one of these a while back. Haven't mounted it as it times on the muzzle of the barrel and I need to pick up something to make it time right.

Weight comes in at 4.2 oz, which for comparison purposes, a standard A2 Flash Hider is 2.1 oz. An FAL bayonet comes in at 8.2 oz, which is quite a bit of weight together to be on the end of you gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top