Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That's a 15 and a 16, right?

I bought my proof research barrel.  I'll have it put together by the end of the month.  I will post a picture sans vortex.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Did some final staking and function checks on this gun.

It's next destination will be somewhere in Wisconsin.  A good friend of mine is getting it soon.

Hopefully he has no idea that it's coming

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#4]
Got a 14" on the way, after searching the thread I'm expecting no issues with BCM 14.5" BHF barrel, BCM .750 gas block, and Surefire SF3P w/ SOCOM-RC (fingers crossed), but will update sometime next week with the results.  Pretty much have run Larue Stealth rails on everything I own other than MK12/MK18 builds, but wanted to try something different...  Worst case I revert to the Stealth 13.2", I know it will fit lol, but looking for that minimal rail to can gap look.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Should be very much GTG.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Got a 14" on the way, after searching the thread I'm expecting no issues with BCM 14.5" BHF barrel, BCM .750 gas block, and Surefire SF3P w/ SOCOM-RC (fingers crossed), but will update sometime next week with the results.  Pretty much have run Larue Stealth rails on everything I own other than MK12/MK18 builds, but wanted to try something different...  Worst case I revert to the Stealth 13.2", I know it will fit lol, but looking for that minimal rail to can gap look.

Should be very much GTG.  

Thanks Stick! :).
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By weaponoutfitters:
https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/13355470_1625219537804972_1295095562_n.jpg

CMR 12 + BA Hanson 14.0" suppressor optimized barrels
View Quote

So, what exactly makes is 'suppressor optimized' ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:46:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#9]
Will a pinned or set screw sentry 7 or 6 gas block fit under the cmr mlok or cmr gen 2?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:47:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#11]

14.0" barrel length + most suppressor mounts results in ~16.1" OAL.  The gas system is the main stand out feature:  as people had to learn the hard way with the 300 BLK, wild shifts in gas port pressure thanks to QD suppressors and made standard gas system configurations unreliable.  Having a shorter gas system with a more restricted gas port results in a system that attenuates gas port pressure fluctuations better.  End result in a system that shoots smoothly with and without a suppressor without the need for an adjustable gas block.  An adjustable gas block with customized settings is still the absolute best solution, but this solution works very well at a great value.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/13355470_1625219537804972_1295095562_n.jpg

14.0" barrel length + most suppressor mounts results in ~16.1" OAL.  The gas system is the main stand out feature:  as people had to learn the hard way with the 300 BLK, wild shifts in gas port pressure thanks to QD suppressors and made standard gas system configurations unreliable.  Having a shorter gas system with a more restricted gas port results in a system that attenuates gas port pressure fluctuations better.  End result in a system that shoots smoothly with and without a suppressor without the need for an adjustable gas block.  An adjustable gas block with customized settings is still the absolute best solution, but this solution works very well at a great value.

hmmmm ... that is interesting.

I'm wondering how that barrel with a Recce 5 would do ... and skipping the adjustable gas.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:53:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weaponoutfitters] [#12]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#13]

Probably as well as my build with the Surefire SOCOM does!  Griffin Armament suppressors are very well designed, and offer a great balance of sound suppression and gas port pressure blowback.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fooboy:

hmmmm ... that is interesting.

I'm wondering how that barrel with a Recce 5 would do.

Probably as well as my build with the Surefire SOCOM does!  Griffin Armament suppressors are very well designed, and offer a great balance of sound suppression and gas port pressure blowback.

Hows the gas to face in that setup?  I shoot NTCH and am on the verge of my first suppressor purchase.  This setup seems perfect.

I did have to open up the gas port on a 14.5 Hanson to reliably function though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:59:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#14]

The M-LOK and Keymod Variants use a new extrusion, and are more generous at the 6 o clock position:  the new mounting methods require as much material as the CMR proprietary system which needs material for the screws to get into.  I still think the proprietary CMR mounting system is the best since M-LOK and Keymod accessories can be modified to fit it, but the new CMRs aren't too shabby either especially at their pricepoint

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/580x365/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/m/cmr-13-5-m-lok_1.jpg
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Fooboy:
Will a pinned or set screw sentry 7 or 6 gas block fit under the cmr mlok or cmr gen 2?

The M-LOK and Keymod Variants use a new extrusion, and are more generous at the 6 o clock position:  the new mounting methods require as much material as the CMR proprietary system which needs material for the screws to get into.  I still think the proprietary CMR mounting system is the best since M-LOK and Keymod accessories can be modified to fit it, but the new CMRs aren't too shabby either especially at their pricepoint

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/580x365/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/m/cmr-13-5-m-lok_1.jpg

Short answer is yes then, because I have used a sentry 7 and a sentry 6 with the first gen CMRs. It's a tight fit, but it works.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Very nice! Did you use the BA gas block? If so any clearence issues? I really want to go with their stainless 16" Hansen barrel and low profile gas block with my 14" CMR.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Parts arrived, build in progress... pics imminent :).  BCM (750) gas block hit, I had already ordered a CMR gas block after reading through the thread  - so with it so far so good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#20]
Ok, upper CMR build is done.  Shooting tomorrow, waiting 24hr for the Rocksett on the SF3P.

The Good:
Reading the thread, I knew some had issues with BCM .750 block, others didn't.  Went ahead and ordered the CMR GB just to be sure.  Props to Centurion for including extra pins and set screws, b/c I am a ham-fisted fool when it comes to gas block pins :).  But this one went in no issues first try. I also used a Schuster (sp?) GB pin punch for the first time, which may have also helped. The BCM Block definitely hit the rail, so glad I ordered the CMR one.
Pretty simple install, even without instructions, mainly due to this thread.
Tapco Armor's wrench worked fine on the barrel nut, no issues at all.
Plenty of room it it appears for a Surefire Socom-RC with 14" Gen1 CMR and 14.5" BCM BHF barrel.  Will run by the local shop sometime this week and mount/confirm.

Bad (Not really bad... but still)
No torque specs for rail mounting bolts - again thanks to the thread I followed the back n forth method and while it appears to have dropped very slightly, I'm not overly concerned about it - unless everyone tells me to back it off some.  No locktite used since it has helicoils.
Speaking of helicoils- would have liked to have seen them on the bottom front along with the sides, since that is where most will mount a Grip or Bipod... may be non-issue, however.
14" rail & panel/hole mis-alignment.  I knew this going in, and thought it wouldn't bother me, but maybe it does.  Also, there is gap between a long rail section and a panel - doesn't appear to be a way to butt them up together nicely (without cutting).  I bought an extra set of panels so may experiment with cutting some.

Overall I am pleased, looking forward to giving it a run tomorrow.  

And now for some pics...

CMR Gas Block

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:35:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#21]

When you say "actually line up", you sound like that is an important part of the program.  It isn't.  If looks are the most important things, cut the first series of panels that you install, and the rest will line up.  

Looks are subjective, to me they all look good.  To you, it may be different.  

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By BoHeck:

So which rails have panels that actually line up? Or is there a way to make the panels line up correctly on the 14" version? Specifically the 7.62 version, but also interested in 5.56.

When you say "actually line up", you sound like that is an important part of the program.  It isn't.  If looks are the most important things, cut the first series of panels that you install, and the rest will line up.  

SO, I guess I misunderstood this post :) - although it was directed at someone else.  I cut one of my spare panels in half, but all it did was move each panel one hole back - they still do not "line up" over the holes.  Does anyone have an example of how this would work?  Maybe I am just being dense lol...

Not the end of the world, but I figured I would try it since I had some spare panels....

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:20:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maggiore_Soap] [#22]
I'm working on my first AR build, and after browsing this thread (TONS of great info here), I've settled on the following:
- CMR 14"
- Warsport 14.7" medium profile barrel
- Midwest Industries Micro gas block
- Del-Ton mid-length gas tube
- Surefire MB556K

I wasn't clear as to whether or not the Warsport barrel came with a gas block and tube, so I went ahead and ordered one anyway.  I have a Centurion BCG and a few other small bits on order as well, but here's where we're at now.  I expect to be done next week!

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 7:20:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#23]

Originally Posted By Maggiore_Soap:

I'm working on my first AR build, and after browsing this thread (TONS of great info here), I've settled on the following:

- CMR 14"

- Surefire MB556K
I wasn't clear as to whether or not the Warsport barrel came with a gas block and tube, so I went ahead and ordered one anyway.  I have a Centurion BCG and a few other small bits on order as well, but here's where we're at now.  I expect to be done next week!
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/858_Folgore/IMG_3353_zpsr23awhnn.jpg
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/858_Folgore/IMG_3344_zpso6qpubsm.jpg
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/858_Folgore/IMG_3306_zpsocubatrh.jpg
View Quote

Oh that is going to be close - 14.25" CMR and 14.7" barrel... Surefire might be recessed a tiny bit, assuming standard .625 thread length?  Should look awesome though, assuming no plans to add can later.

Edit - Actually, looking at this pic from LeonC on page 44 showing a Gen2 14" and 14.5" barrel, with a 14.7" barrel it ought to be just about perfect :).

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:46:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ducati650] [#24]

SO, I guess I misunderstood this post :) - although it was directed at someone else.  I cut one of my spare panels in half, but all it did was move each panel one hole back - they still do not "line up" over the holes.  Does anyone have an example of how this would work?  Maybe I am just being dense lol...

Not the end of the world, but I figured I would try it since I had some spare panels....

http://i.imgur.com/cXd5zJMl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a7rTNOKl.jpg

View All Quotes
So which rails have panels that actually line up? Or is there a way to make the panels line up correctly on the 14" version? Specifically the 7.62 version, but also interested in 5.56.

Mine worked and trimmed this way but it looks like my screw holes are lined up between vent holes and yours are lined up on the screw holes. Different versions?

[Edit]
Ah, got it. My rail is shorter than yours and they referenced to hole pattern differently.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By ducati650:
Mine worked and trimmed this way but it looks like my screw holes are lined up between vent holes and yours are lined up on the screw holes. Different versions?

[Edit]

Ah, got it. My rail is shorter than yours and they referenced to hole pattern differently.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h450/ducati650/photo%202_zpsy3w3wo3l.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h450/ducati650/photo%205_zpsvzq8atem.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ducati650:

[Edit]

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h450/ducati650/photo%202_zpsy3w3wo3l.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h450/ducati650/photo%205_zpsvzq8atem.jpg

Yep they fixed... well maybe fixed is not the correct word, but modified the gen2 so that the screws/holes line up on the 14" like the 12".  I almost bought one last night but the gen2 14" is too long to work with my can on a 14.5" barrel due to the increased length over the Gen1 14"

It's not a big deal, I think I might have misconstrued Stick's post that I quoted above.  I just don't see how on the gen1 14 you can cut/manipulate the panels to line up over the holes - the screws will always be aligned with the holes so the finger position will always be over the holes.  I think the only option would be to drill new holes, which I think a few have done, I just don't think it bothers me enough to do that though :).

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure everyone's tired of looking at my Rifle lol, but stopped by the shop to check fit and take a few pics with the Socom...

BCM 14.5 BHF Barrel w/CMR gas block, 14" gen1 rail, socom-rc.  Fits up nice and close, with just a tad bit of gap between rail and can.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#27]
That's awesome! I have a 16" Spikes CHF barrel under my 14", but I'm looking at cutting it back to 14.5 and running a SF warcomp, and a socom... eventually
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Oh that is going to be close - 14.25" CMR and 14.7" barrel... Surefire might be recessed a tiny bit, assuming standard .625 thread length?  Should look awesome though, assuming no plans to add can later.

Edit - Actually, looking at this pic from LeonC on page 44 showing a Gen2 14" and 14.5" barrel, with a 14.7" barrel it ought to be just about perfect :).

https://i.imgur.com/PLSoH5x.jpg
View All Quotes
- CMR 14"
- Surefire MB556K

https://i.imgur.com/PLSoH5x.jpg

This thread is what saved me from grabbing a basic 14.5" and calling it good!  In fact, I saw that photo just before I confirmed my order with Warsport, which put me at ease.  I'm really hoping it works out the way I'm picturing it.  I wish a can were an option, but the best I can do is the Surefire Warden.  You know how CA is...  

Regardless, I'm hoping this setup shoots flat and smooth, although I expect I'll need to do a bit of work on the action since I'm just running a basic DPMS spring and the original Parallax Tactical H buffer.  Any thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#29]

This thread is what saved me from grabbing a basic 14.5" and calling it good!  In fact, I saw that photo just before I confirmed my order with Warsport, which put me at ease.  I'm really hoping it works out the way I'm picturing it.  I wish a can were an option, but the best I can do is the Surefire Warden.  You know how CA is...  

Regardless, I'm hoping this setup shoots flat and smooth, although I expect I'll need to do a bit of work on the action since I'm just running a basic DPMS spring and the original Parallax Tactical H buffer.  Any thoughts on that?
View Quote

Depends on ammo choice somewhat - I shoot pretty much XM193-spec 55gr, 62gr or OTM 77gr, all full power 556 loads, so generally start out with an FA BCG, H2 buffer and Springco Blue Spring as a starting point, and really haven't found any setup that doesn't work in.  However, it won't cycle some of the cheaper Russian steel case stuff, but I'm OK with that as I never shoot it.

Of course if what you have is giving you reliable cycling and ejection, there's really no need to change anything.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mitchman705] [#30]
Can anyone confirm if a low profile Daniel Defense gas block on a light weight Daniel Defense barrel is good to go under a CMR?  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Disclaimer: Don't mind the one in back.  It's a toy.

14.7" Warsport barrel with a Surefire MB556K paired with a 14" gen 2 CMR.  The bit the suppressor would attach to is just recessed into the handguard, so I guess a Warden is out of the picture.  It has a hell of a lot of threads to screw onto, so could I space it out or is that dangerous?

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:26:50 AM EDT
[#34]
That tan one is mean looking, I like it!
View Quote

Agreed. I dig that camo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Any know where to get a Gen 1 12" CMR?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#36]

Originally Posted By ejc204:

View Quote

I think I saw one in the EE the other day?  Or check with Weapons Evolution, they may still have some?

EDIT Sorry that was your WTB post :).  Try WE, or maybe Stickman knows who might still have one in stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I think I have one
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#38]

I think I saw one in the EE the other day?  Or check with Weapons Evolution, they may still have some?

EDIT Sorry that was your WTB post :).  Try WE, or maybe Stickman knows who might still have one in stock.
View All Quotes

I think he means Weapon Outfitters.

Roy had some a while back, not sure if he still does.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:48:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Ordered one. Thank you all gentlemen. I'll post pics when I get everything back.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Got my CMR installed on my AR10 today....and then proceeded to realize it is bent

Honestly, I have not impressed with CA or the CMR this go round. No instructions included, no barrel nut wrench included, rail bent.

Considering switching to the Fortis.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#45]

Switch to Fortis if you want, but where did you hear it came with a barrel nut wrench, and what makes you think it is bent?  
View All Quotes
Got my CMR installed on my AR10 today....and then proceeded to realize it is bent

Honestly, I have not impressed with CA or the CMR this go round. No instructions included, no barrel nut wrench included, rail bent.

http://i.imgur.com/cKMCryUl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Sz4AsfVl.jpg

Switch to Fortis if you want, but where did you hear it came with a barrel nut wrench, and what makes you think it is bent?  

Every other modern free-float rail I've purchased has come with a wrench that fits that rails proprietary barrel nut. It's definitely bent...you can see in the 2nd picture I posted pretty clearly. Even just eyeballing it right now I can tell it's bent.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Every other modern free-float rail I've purchased has come with a wrench that fits that rails proprietary barrel nut. It's definitely bent...you can see in the 2nd picture I posted pretty clearly. Even just eyeballing it right now I can tell it's bent.

View All Quotes

http://i.imgur.com/cKMCryUl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Sz4AsfVl.jpg

It's designed to use a castle nut wrench or a spanner wrench, which are both tools that pretty much anybody building an AR should already have.

And nothing is clear. Something is definitely misaligned, but for all we know your upper receiver isn't true and that is what is causing the misalignment.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:03:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#47]
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:
It's designed to use a castle nut wrench or a spanner wrench, which are both tools that pretty much anybody building an AR should already have.  

And nothing is clear. Something is definitely misaligned, but for all we know your upper receiver isn't true and that is what is causing the misalignment.
View Quote

Yes, I know you can use a spanner wrench but I have yet to find a spanner wrench that fits the AR10 barrel nut and has a notch for using a torque wrench. There's no point in using a regular spanner wrench because you can't tell how much torque you're putting on the barrel nut.

Centurion sent me a "prototype" wrench that honestly doesn't work all that well. I believe they're probably on the right course for including some kind of wrench with all CMRs in the future.

Also, it's very clear. I have the rifle/rail in front of me and you don't. The rail is bent.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:30:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BLACKLIGHT] [#48]

Yes, I know you can use a spanner wrench but I have yet to find a spanner wrench that fits the AR10 barrel nut and has a notch for using a torque wrench. There's no point in using a regular spanner wrench because you can't tell how much torque you're putting on the barrel nut.

Centurion sent me a "prototype" wrench that honestly doesn't work all that well. I believe they're probably on the right course for including some kind of wrench with all CMRs in the future.

Also, it's very clear. I have the rifle/rail in front of me and you don't. The rail is bent.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:

Ok Lets put the wrench stuff aside and deal with your ( off center rail / barrel).  I don't think its bent.  Just in case you don't know and I'm just trying to help and throw things out there to you incase you forgot or just didn't know.
Your upper receiver M4 extension hole may be out of bore axis center causing your barrel to be off to one side.  You would have to lap the upper to resolve this issue.

When you torqued the screws to clamp the rail on the barrel nut, you may not have done it in the order on the instructions.  ??? maybe you did  I don't know.  I remember reading / and I think in this thread that
some people had to remove and reinstall the rail or screws to get things lined up again.

It could also be a combination of both of those things.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#49]

The original system, as a whole, is definitely superior and very cost effective when accessories pricing is factored in.

With Centurion in-housing some areas of production, they've lowered their prices across the board on their Gen 2 CMRs

http://56.media.tumblr.com/8735dbcb2029cf857adaf337e38cb9e9/tumblr_o2o3a7gngP1qjtttio1_1280.jpg
View All Quotes
Centurion Arms is NOT getting rid of their standard system.

Nice!

The original system, as a whole, is definitely superior and very cost effective when accessories pricing is factored in.

With Centurion in-housing some areas of production, they've lowered their prices across the board on their Gen 2 CMRs

http://56.media.tumblr.com/8735dbcb2029cf857adaf337e38cb9e9/tumblr_o2o3a7gngP1qjtttio1_1280.jpg

What length is this barrel and rail?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:46:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MALICIOUS2551] [#50]

Are these new MLOKs coming with QD sockets?  I've seen them with and without.  Is Centurion Arms going to produce polymer mlok panels or accessory package?  Thank you.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top