Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2013 6:36:31 PM EDT
So I'm thinking of getting a 80% lower, but I don't have a machine shop, I would need to have it complete, can anyone suggest one?
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm thinking of getting a 80% lower, but I don't have a machine shop, I would need to have it complete, can anyone suggest one?

Are you asking for a machine shop that will complete your 80% lower for you?  I don't think that's legit.

It can be done with a drill press, and patience.  Others have done it with less.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It would have to be a machine shop with an FFL, any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The point of an 80% is to do it on your own, without an ffl.
Why don't you just buy a lower?
Eta
It doesn't have to be a machine shop with an ffl. You have to press the start button on the machine.
Eta2
They sell jigs that make it seem pretty easy to do with a drill press.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are interested .....
Here is a post  with my setup to complete an 80% lower
On a Benchtop CNC Mill...
Also I am using a Tactical Machining Jig.
Taig CNC Mill
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish I would have snagged an 80% GM HydraMatic lower some guy was selling on the EE. He had quite a few and I didn't have the money at the time.
I was issued  a GM in Basic and would have loved to had one of those lowers for a project.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you even find an 80% nowadays?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Op, you need to do more research.

a drill press & jig will get you by

Quoted:
Can you even find an 80% nowadays?

yes
but they are not cheap now.  they even pop up on EE
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are some top quality 80% lowers. www.cnc80.com
A lot of added features over your typical forged or billet 80s
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Here are some top quality 80% lowers. www.cnc80.com

A lot of added features over your typical forged or billet 80s

No contact info whatsoever on the page, just a form to fill out. No thanks.

Shill?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's an interesting question concerning 80% lowers. Can the rear section be milled throughout or does it have to resemble the regular production lowers that have that section tapered in ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd assume you could mill if however you wanted to, but making it easier for a DIAS might land you with some questioning latter on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It would have to be a machine shop with an FFL, any ideas?

Then what would be the point in an 80% lower? It would have to be a SOT that is licensed for manufacturing, and they would have to assign a serial number to it...
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 3:55:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd assume you could mill if however you wanted to, but making it easier for a DIAS might land you with some questioning latter on.

You can have a lower milled out to whatever specs you want.  Don't drill it for a sear pin and don't put full auto parts in it.  I have several lowers that will accept a DIAS and they left the factory that way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's an interesting question concerning 80% lowers. Can the rear section be milled throughout or does it have to resemble the regular production lowers that have that section tapered in ?

You can machine the fire control pocket any way you want so long as you don't drill the magic hole above the selector.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top