Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2013 6:16:24 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a S&W M&P15 MOE Mid MAGPUL SPEC SERIES Edition AR SKU: 811053 and have a few questions on it.

1. Are they limited run or are they being mass produced i.e. thousands upon thousands?
2. Are they being made by Magpul or Smith? Or forged by Magpul and finished by Smith?
3. How many are going to be made?
4. Could this lower be collectors worthy down the road?

The reason I ask is because I am in the process of buying an AR and I am stuck. My two options are this magpul one and the SIG 516 Gen 2. I can get the Magpul one for $1400 all said and done and the SIG for $1725. I know this is a bit pricey but I can’t find any cheaper of the two right now.

Any input would help and thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
MOE is for the stock, hand guard, grip, rear sight and mag which are Magpul MOE products (save for the MBUS). Can't address manufacturing numbers but, don't see any collector value there, just shooter value.

Maybe this will help you:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/smith-and-wesson-MP-15-2/
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you missed the point, its the lower thats in question, thats the focus. Its based on the rare MPL lower made by magpul. I am not worried about the furinture but the collectors value and production of the lower in combination of the rest of the components. Also that review is not about the rifle in question, its the SPEC series M&P with magpul lower that I am talking about.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Speculating on whether or not it will be a collectors item is pointless.

These ARE mass produced, how mass produced, no one knows but they are NOT a limited run.

If you like it, buy it, its a damned tool, not a museum piece...
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The Magpul edition is an excellent rifle for configuration and feature set for a factory rifle.  The lower is based on Magpul's design tweaks but not that big of a deal really, its a production item from S&W now.  Of the two you suggested, I would choose the S&W magpul edition every day and twice on Sunday, and it's less expensive to boot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top